Options

Gloves and knickers (no people involved)

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited April 5, 2010 in Street and Documentary
1)
824361018_omFPc-XL.jpg

2)
821321904_tjQab-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    I like the first one. Where were these taken?
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    1)

I want to say, "Gloves? YES!" "Panties? No." But something about the panties image does keep drawing me back - No knicker snickers! rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    rgphoto wrote:
    I like the first one. Where were these taken?

They were taken in Ningbo last weekend, not that anyone could tell through the images themselves.

For towns I don't know (this was my first trip to Ningbo), I'll ask the hotel where all the tourist sites are so I can avoid them. I'll then try to get to a high building and look around for low housing areas. If it's walking distance, I'll walk. Otherwise, I'll confuse a taxi driver with my really horrible four words of giving directions in Mandarin and get out on a random street. Once thoroughly lost, I'll follow locals anywhere so long as it takes me off the main streets. Finally, I'll start looking around for interesting shots.
  • Options
    rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    They were taken in Ningbo last weekend, not that anyone could tell through the images themselves.

For towns I don't know (this was my first trip to Ningbo), I'll ask the hotel where all the tourist sites are so I can avoid them. I'll then try to get to a high building and look around for low housing areas. If it's walking distance, I'll walk. Otherwise, I'll confuse a taxi driver with my really horrible four words of giving directions in Mandarin and get out on a random street. Once thoroughly lost, I'll follow locals anywhere so long as it takes me off the main streets. Finally, I'll start looking around for interesting shots.

sounds like my kind of adventure! take the path less traveled, ya know?
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    I want to say, "Gloves? YES!" "Panties? No." But something about the panties image does keep drawing me back - No knicker snickers! rolleyes1.gif

What he said rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    He still made us Google "ningbo" to find out it was in China!rolleyes1.gif
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Didn't know it could happen, but this time I agree with BD. I like them both.

Both photographs owe some of their visual pleasure to color, but especially the knickers.

For want of a better description, I find the incongruity of the cheerful pink underwear against the old, worn, faded wall rather poignant.

It's all about juxtaposition - soft, bright pink versus harshly textured neutrals and the surprise of the single piece of clean laundry hanging out to dry against the textured backdrop of the old wall.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:

Both photographs owe some of their visual pleasure to color, but especially the knickers.

For want of a better description, I find the incongruity of the cheerful pink underwear against the old, worn, faded wall rather poignant.

It's all about juxtaposition - soft, bright pink versus harshly textured neutrals and the surprise of the single piece of clean laundry hanging out to dry against the textured backdrop of the old wall.

Virginia

I had a case of the nervous nellies after posting these. Wasn't sure why at the time, but I had a visceral reaction to both that I could have titled, but it wouldn't have been too polite. All I'll say is that it made B.D. blush.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:

Virginia

What she said. mwink.gif My first reaction was "I hope they don't get rust stained".

I have to say I'm curious now about the title that made bd blush.eek7.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Juxtaposition in #2 is a factor. Can't decide if I like the knickers or not. The wall however.....WOW wings.gif I Love It. I would take it with or without the knickers.
    “He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”