Into Africa

13»

Comments

• davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    Love it, guys! Beautiful!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    It was tough living. Here's Jacques Nioche relaxing in front of his huge tent at our camp in Amboselli:
    img2042-L.jpg

Sunrise in the Mara
    IMG7286-L.jpg

Elephants from the air, in Amboselli
    IMG7541-L.jpg

And from the ground level (literally, from shooting on the ground)
    IMG8408-L.jpg

IMG8029-L.jpg

IMG8415-L.jpg

Next up: a day with the Maasai, in their village and at the 2011 Maasai Amboselli Olympics :D
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Anyone use an anglefinder?

pp
    edited November 15, 2011
    Anyone use an anglefinder?

pp

No, I can't imagine that one would be any use at all in the types of shooting situations we had.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Very cool B&W treatments Andy.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • spacefuzzspacefuzz Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    really cool shots, looks like a great trip
    edited November 24, 2011
    We were very fortunate on our last day in Amboselli to spend the entire day with the local Maasai.

They are an extremely beautiful people! And fun.

A couple of warriors
    IMG8336-L.jpg

IMG8389-L.jpg

Woman and child
    IMG8337-L.jpg

IMG8378-L.jpg

Boy, about 9, tends to the sheep
    IMG8261-2-L.jpg

We joined them in their village early in the morning, they milk the cows
    IMG8353-2-L.jpg

I will post a few pics in another post soon - the young warriors (aged 13 or so) will put a tournequet on a cow's neck, and shoot a blunted arrow into its' neck - they then let the blood flow into the milk, and they drink it for the protein.

IMG8558-L.jpg

IMG8423-2-L.jpg

IMG8434-2-L.jpg

They make their shoes out of old tires
    IMG8494-2-L.jpg

Later in the day, they all gathered in our camp for the "Maasai Olympics" - the warriors preened themselves
    IMG8748-L.jpg

There was spear-throwing competition
    IMG8858-L.jpg

And running races.. there were prizes, they were VERY excited about... first place in each event was worth the equivalent of about 3 months earnings.
    IMG9019-L.jpg

IMG9027-L.jpg

IMG9063-L.jpg

They loved viewing themselves on the back of the camera :)
    IMG9065-L.jpg

After the competition, we all went up the mountaintop, and the Maasai entertained us with singing, and chanting and this 'hopping' dance they do - it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen, truly deal.gif These guys can get very airborne, just hopping! eek7.gif

IMG9189-XL.jpg

Here's our entire group with all of the Maasai
    i-NDV82Cq-X2.jpg
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    More great stuff, Andy! I love the wristwatch shot! The expressions on their faces remind me that people are the same everywhere: they gather together and laugh and have fun. :D

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited November 25, 2011
    Outstanding captures of the Maasai Andy and I love taht last image.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    Back on the Mara!

I was offered the chance to get out of the vehicle and lie down in the grass,,,,,,,, about 50 feet from these lions.
    i-GKJnCfK-X3.jpg
    Being down on their level is quite powerful. I was quite nervous and found most of my exposures way off levelheadscratch.gif I managed to shoot off this pano of 5 images and plenty of lions hanging out.

The Mara was expansive and covered with wildlife. This gap through the large clouds made for a perfect hole to catch some light. It is challenging to teach landscape photography in a place where the wildlife is so intriguing, but when I could I simply stopped the vehicle and had a landscape momentwings.gif
    i-cnPdDxc-XL.jpg

My favorite image of the Mara was this Hair sitting in the tall grass. He was barley visible, but our spotter did his job and showed us. I thought it appropriate to have him stand on the top of the vehicle and be in this image...... look carefully and you'll see him reflecting in the eye.
    i-M2jbhpN-XL.jpg

And speaking of great spotting. This Caracal was spotted in an even more hidden grassy location. Once the mother arrived and began calling for these two kittens, they stood up and began looking for her. What a beautiful animal.
    i-ZMKhsJm-XL.jpg

The great Lion cruising across the plain in the early morning!
    i-8jhMfND-XL.jpg

The wonderful Leopard in the trees. He was spotted just as others were getting out of the jeep to have breakfastne_nau.gif good thing the spotter was doing his jobthumb.gif
    i-w2Hk4Vf-XL.jpg

And next
    Amboselideal.gif
    i-6NMq3dp-X2.jpg
    edited November 29, 2011
    It is always a pleasure to view your images Marc.
    Harry
    edited November 30, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    It is always a pleasure to view your images Marc.

Great to hear Harry. I know you know, what fun it was taking them and really enjoyed your company while on Safari. You made my teaching job easythumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 30, 2011
    Back on the Mara!

I was offered the chance to get out of the vehicle and lie down in the grass,,,,,,,, about 50 feet from these lions.
    i-GKJnCfK-M.jpg

:yikes
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 30, 2011
    What a spectacular thread!!

Laying in the grass looking at the lions from close up was exhilarating wasn't it, Marc? The reflection in the hare's eye is outstanding also.

Joel, I used fill flash without a Beamer for some of my lion portraits, about 6-8 feet away..... I wondered, for my first shot, if the lion would react to my flash. It did not...

I think it was more scary listening to the lions heavy breathing over the hill behind us, while we were shooting sunrise shots in the dark, out of the Land Cruisers using tripods. I'll bet Marc felt the same way.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 30, 2011
    Great use of the beamer Jim!

I just remember the look on your face when we heard the lions, while standing 30 feet from the jeeps eek7.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 30, 2011
    My look of dire concern and apprehension?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    Wow. Wow. Wow. Love it. Jealous. Did I say wow?
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited December 9, 2011
    Sooooooooo... many of you know I'm not "just" an online kinda guy. I *love* printing my images. Really, I think this is one of the most important things - sure it's great to share online, and have online galleries - love it. But my heart skips a beat and I get all woogly-woogly when I see my photos printed big!

Got a delivery of MetalPrints from our lab here at SmugMug, Bay Photo. The Ele shot is 6feet by 3feet, the Cheetah is 36" wide and so are some of the others. Gonna be busy hanging these this weekend :smo

20111209-c9ui9f1ghcsyxf7gyq8t1rc8pk.jpg
    edited December 9, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Sooooooooo... many of you know I'm not "just" an online kinda guy. I *love* printing my images. Really, I think this is one of the most important things - sure it's great to share online, and have online galleries - love it. But my heart skips a beat and I get all woogly-woogly when I see my photos printed big!

Got a delivery of MetalPrints from our lab here at SmugMug, Bay Photo. The Ele shot is 6feet by 3feet, the Cheetah is 36" wide and so are some of the others. Gonna be busy hanging these this weekend :smo

That was the problen with the trip. I could go broke ordering prints. I just put an order on for some prints the other day.
    Harry
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    Great-looking BIG prints, Andy! I ordered my fifth and sixth metal print the other day and I LOVE them!! The color really jumps off the wall. Thanks, SmugMug!!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    That is awesome group photo! loved whole series
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery