lens for portrait work

anderson_paulanderson_paul Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited May 22, 2015 in Technique
how this is the right place to put this, I'm getting into some portrait work on location (beach). Wanted to get some suggestions on lens for this I'm using a nikon camera set-up.
Some men see things as they are an say "Why?"
I dream things that never were and say
"Why Not?"

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    My preference for portrait work is to use primes; I'd suggest a 35mm and a 50mm that open to f/2 or wider. If you would prefer a zoom, look for somthing that covers the range from 24-70mm range with an f/2.8 aperture.
  • Northern MonkeyNorthern Monkey Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    I would use a little longer for portraits, and wide open, for a small depth of field. I'm in the canon camp, but I use a 50mm f/1.8, or an 85mm f/1.8 if I've got a bit more room. I suppose you'll have plenty of room on a beach.

You don't say what lenses you have available to you, but if you have a 70-200, that will do the job at the wide end. The only disadvantage, is that some people don't like a huge big lens pointing at them.
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    My preference for portrait work is to use primes; I'd suggest a 35mm and a 50mm that open to f/2 or wider. If you would prefer a zoom, look for somthing that covers the range from 24-70mm range with an f/2.8 aperture.

Great advice - except that Nikon don't have 24-70/2.8 lens !!!

Anyway for portraits I'd suggest light primes like 50, 85, 135, 200 or just standard zoom 70-200/2.8 (both Canon and Nikon got them :D)
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    z_28 wrote:

They've gotta have some sort of normal-to-wide 2.8 zoom. Something akin to the Canon 17-55/2.8 would work too.

As for focal length, I was suggesting on the wide end because I assume on the beach he'd want to include some ambiance. 85mm is a great focal lengh for headshots on APS-C (which is all you can get from Nikon). On an APS-C body, I'd use 135mm for candids, but not often for posed shots.
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    They've gotta have some sort of normal-to-wide 2.8 zoom. Something akin to the Canon 17-55/2.8 would work too.

Tamron makes a nice 28-75MM f2.8. I just got mine this week from Adorama and so far I really like this range. The Nikon mount is $359 after a $10 rebate. I think I also saw it on Abe's of Maine for $339. I also got to rent a 85MM 1.4 a few weeks ago, and what a fine piece of glass that was. But at over $1000, its out of my range. But the f1.8 version is $360.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    Paul, I'm also a Nikon guy and have done several beach shoots.

What kind of portrait work are you going to be doing? Groups, headshots, couples?? What glass and body do you already own?

I recently did an engagement shoot and opted for just two lenses on there own bodies. I'm reluctant to change lenses at the beach. I did most of the shooting with the Nikkor 28-70mm, f2.8. This is easily my favorite lens.
    145831977-M.jpg

145419053-M.jpg

I also brought the Nikkor 70-200mm, f2.8VR for some longer portraits with some better background separation.

145419076-M.jpg

Hope this helps. Good luck on the beach!!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    how this is the right place to put this, I'm getting into some portrait work on location (beach). Wanted to get some suggestions on lens for this I'm using a nikon camera set-up.
    The rule of thumb is "as long as you can get away with". If all you have is a garage or a bedroom-turned-studio, you'll be forced to use 50mm or less. If something bigger is available, the 70..200 range seems to fit almost any practical requirements.The faster the lens the better, of course, but f/2.8 fits the bill nicely without creating a red alert for your wallet.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2007
    17-55 zoom for lowest light, maybe 28-70 stopped down a bit. Even 70-200VR a nice choice of some for portrait work.

85 1.4 creamy bokeh

200 2.0 VR, also creamy bokeh, but have to setup further away of course.

Nice work Mitchell
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    The lens that I LOVE is my 50mm 1.8 - this is by far my favorite lens. I am going to go ahead and get the 50mm 1.4. I have also used the 85mm 1.8 - beautiful bokeh and color. I hope to get some other primes to check them out as well as money permits!!! Good luck!
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    I have always prefered a longer lens....Ihave had clients thank me for not poking my lens in their face as so and so did on the last shoot....over the years I have adapted to shoot with nothing shorter than the 70mm end of my 70-210 2,8 Siggy......now I am trying to get used to using a 24-70 for landscapes and such..seems on the aps-c cameras it might be aleright for portrait work also......but I still reach for the body with the 70-210 the most.......

At one time all the photo instruction books said lenses of 85-170 were considered portrit studio lenses...so I felt good about my Vivatar Series 1 70-210 2.8/5.6 lens....that lens literaly paid my wages for many years until it was stolen and I was told that Vivatar no longer had it......so I moved over to Sigma.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• caroltacarolta Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 20, 2015
    It's nice to read some positive thoughts on Tamron 28-75mm since I was planing to purchase them. I saw them on Abe's of Maine website but they are listed just under $500. I was expecting lower price. Is that a real value for the money? I was thinking of contacting Abe's of Maine on their facebook and ask them for a discount or something as I wasn't able to find any promo codes for this lens.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 20, 2015
    carolta wrote: »
    It's nice to read some positive thoughts on Tamron 28-75mm since I was planing to purchase them. I saw them on Abe's of Maine website but they are listed just under $500. I was expecting lower price. Is that a real value for the money? I was thinking of contacting Abe's of Maine on their facebook and ask them for a discount or something as I wasn't able to find any promo codes for this lens.

What camera body/bodies do you have?

What type(s) of photography do you wish to use the new lens for?

Relating to portraiture, what type of portraiture? (Head shots, 3/4 length, full length, environmental, etc.)

Indoors, outdoors, any restricted spaces (size wise) in which to shoot?

The more you tell us about your equipment and needs the better we can advise you on specific lenses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • caroltacarolta Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 21, 2015
    Now, before answering your questions I have to say that I have already purchased it from Abe's with a discount. I am not going to reveal the total price at the end, but I have to say that I believe that I have made the best choice around here. I have to say that Jeff from Abe's was very nice and communicative...
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    What camera body/bodies do you have?
    I have a Canon EOS Rebel T4i. It came with the "preinstalled" 18-55mm lens, and I want to move forward with my photography skills.
    What type(s) of photography do you wish to use the new lens for?
    I would say the standard type of usage (mixed usage), but I plan on making more nature (well mostly animals, plants and nature) shots.
    Relating to portraiture, what type of portraiture? (Head shots, 3/4 length, full length, environmental, etc.)
    Mostly full length and environmental shots. That is why I chose a 75mm focal lenght with a F/2.8 aperture. Low light shots in a tow...
    Indoors, outdoors, any restricted spaces (size wise) in which to shoot?
    Mostly outdoors, but conditions may vary.
    The more you tell us about your equipment and needs the better we can advise you on specific lenses.
    I have only just begun juicing my equipment (bought a nice tripod, HD 58mm Wide Angle Lens etc). And I believe that this lens will deliver a lot of great shots. It is as simple as that.

Thank you for trying to help me, but I already had my mind set up on it... Will definitely ask you another time. You seem to be asking the right questions :D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 21, 2015
    carolta wrote: »
    Now, before answering your questions I have to say that I have already purchased it from Abe's with a discount. I am not going to reveal the total price at the end, but I have to say that I believe that I have made the best choice around here. I have to say that Jeff from Abe's was very nice and communicative...

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T4i. It came with the "preinstalled" 18-55mm lens, and I want to move forward with my photography skills.

I would say the standard type of usage (mixed usage), but I plan on making more nature (well mostly animals, plants and nature) shots.

Mostly full length and environmental shots. That is why I chose a 75mm focal lenght with a F/2.8 aperture. Low light shots in a tow...

Mostly outdoors, but conditions may vary.

I have only just begun juicing my equipment (bought a nice tripod, HD 58mm Wide Angle Lens etc). And I believe that this lens will deliver a lot of great shots. It is as simple as that.

Thank you for trying to help me, but I already had my mind set up on it... Will definitely ask you another time. You seem to be asking the right questions :D

Since you have already purchased the lens, 'congratulations'. clap.gif

The Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) is a very good choice for most of your stated needs. It is a standard/normal zoom intended for full-frame (FF) bodies, but actually a somewhat better choice for an APS-C/crop 1.6x body, like the Canon 650D / dRebel T4i. The reason is that this lens gets pretty soft at the edges and corners on a FF body, but the dRebel T4i uses the best part of the center of the lens.

I'm a big proponent of constant aperture f2.8 zoom lenses, partly because they activate the high-precision center AF dot of many Canon bodies. Partly too because they tend to be a superior optic design versus variable-aperture zooms.

I suggest keeping your EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II "kit" zoom as it has a very wide 18mm setting which allows more flexibility in close quarters plus a wide-angle view for vista landscapes and similar applications, including environmental portraits.

With the close-focus capability of 13" (33 cm) the lens can do very good close-focus work without other adapters. Not a true macro, it still should be satisfying for many smaller nature subjects up close.

The 75mm end should indeed serve nicely for outdoor portraiture, and should not require too much rectilinear correction for the moderate pincushion distortion, if you might desire.

I think that you will find the Tamron lenses' zoom and focus rings turn in the opposite direction from Canon lenses. Some find this unsettling, but I really don't notice too much unless switching back and forth between different manufacturer's lenses.

In short, a great lens for your purposes. Coupled with your existing standard zoom you have greatly expanded your capabilities. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2015
    LiquidAir wrote: »

MUCH too short, faces look fat. 50 on a crop sensor maybe, but still getting out a bit longer is better.
    z_28 wrote: »

Where in the world did you hear that. The 24-70/2.8 is a classic Nikon lens, and a staple in most Nikon shooter's bag. Extremely sharp and nicely reliable.

I don't do a lot of portraits but on Nikon I vastly prefer the 85/1.4G (D is good also). But the 24-70 works nicely in a pinch, especially on a crop body at the long end.