Options

Paradise Valley

wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
edited September 20, 2014 in Landscapes
The Paradise Valley north of Yellowstone NP looking east toward the Beartooth Mountains.
Paradise%20Valley-507954-XL.jpg
Steve

Comments

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2014
    Nice shot. One of my favorite parts of Montana, lots of great back roads to wander down in that area. I have friends in Livingston and will be in the area for the last Art Walk coming up next week. Is that the Trail Creek road coming down to 89?

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2014
    Sweet comp! Nice and crisp! I would find out how it looks in b&W. Not sure, but worth tinkering! Cheers!
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    Wonderful place to be-in - I'm always a little jealous of you folks that live in that region and can access the awesome natural beauty up there.
    It's a pleasant scene and a nice capture, but I'd like to offer some suggestions... mind-you, just one viewer's opinion.

I find it's tough to view landscapes in portrait aspect and not miss or wonder what lies outside the frame when the composition does
    not strongly support the portrait orientation - and, for me, this one does not - although the road does work well as a leading-line.

Foreground objects are often needed in landscapes as focal-points/anchors, but the exact center-placement of the rock here immediately
    makes me conscious that there is a person holding a camera, taking a picture, who framed it there on-purpose. IMO, a great landscape gives the illusion of
    looking through a window, being as unconscious (as possible) that it is a deliberate and created POV - I'd rather get that feeling that we are seeing it with our own eyes.
    And, although we actually do view the world from eye-level, any time we can alter the POV in images to make that less noticeable,
    I think we help create the illusion that we are looking-in on something special, outside of our normal experience.
    Cheers!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I have some landscape images I haven't processed yet. I'll post them in a bit.

"Is that the Trail Creek road coming down to 89?"

Yep, sure is.
    Steve
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    Good ol' Beartooth Mountains. We tried to get through the pass a few weeks ago, but Vantasia (our 1992 high-top class B van) just couldn't pull the altitude. We made it about 3/4 of the way up, then pulled off, did some yoga, slept through a thunderstorm and headed back down the mountain.

Beautiful shot, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Thanks JonaBeth. It does get up there some (11K ft). I had to follow a Yellowstone tour bus for a ways. I think the driver had it in first gear going up and 2nd going down the other side. I don't think it got over 5 mph going uphill. rolleyes1.gif
    Steve
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2014
    wtlwdwgn wrote: »
    Thanks JonaBeth. It does get up there some (11K ft). I had to follow a Yellowstone tour bus for a ways. I think the driver had it in first gear going up and 2nd going down the other side. I don't think it got over 5 mph going uphill. rolleyes1.gif

Ha! I can only imagine!

We plan to stay in the PNW for a couple years, so I'm sure we'll have a more efficient vehicle soon. Then we'll get to see Yellowstone! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2014
    Ha! I can only imagine!

We plan to stay in the PNW for a couple years, so I'm sure we'll have a more efficient vehicle soon. Then we'll get to see Yellowstone! thumb.gif

You'll love it! I see something new each time I go.
    Steve