Options

Various Sierra Nevada Photos

EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited September 15, 2014 in Landscapes
Some photos from a few different recent Sierra trips. Probably last Milky Way photos for a little while too.

(1) Illuminated

We had some great night sky conditions for this trip. Earlier in the evening, there was a crescent moon still in the sky but out of the field of view for this shot. It illuminated the foreground perfectly, while not being so bright that it would wash out the Milky Way.

25 sec exposure, ISO 4000, f/2.8
20 mm focal length

Illuminated-XL.jpg

(2) The Rift

This was a fun image to take, but didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. First try at this "Star Burst" effect.

It's a composite of three images. A 3 min one for the foreground (Can you tell my shoulders got tired?) A 25 sec one for the Milky Way, ISO 4000, f/2.8. The Star Burst effect came from swapping over to my wide-angle lens (f/4) and slowly changing the focal length for the first 20 secs and then letting the last 5 give each burst a meteor-like look.

The%20Rift-XL.jpg

(3) The One That Got Away

This was one is from a trip a few weeks ago to 1000 Island Lake that turned into a bit of a disaster. Backpacked in 7 miles only for a stomach bug/flu to kick in. Several hours later, made the decision to hike right back out in the dark. Had a mt lion blocking the trail at one point coming back. Wanting to get back to my car pretty bad, I let out a roar that I think echoed across the canyon and it got the hell out of my way, lol. Stomach thing really kicked in bad the next day at home, which made me really glad I decided to come out that night. But, I guess it shows I won't do anything for the shot.

Had hoped to get a Milky Way photo at this location. Next time!

i-HgNMmtT-XL.jpg

(4) Climbed up Mount Baldwin a few weeks back and took this photo on the way down. I just thought the landscape/geology was pretty wild in this area. Definitely not your typical Sierra scenery.

i-XNSM6mx.jpg

Comments