Options

Storm in the Mountains

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
edited September 15, 2014 in Landscapes
A file from a trip in 2005, shot with a 20D, that I recently rediscovered un-edited until today... I don't generally think of a 20D as a landscape camera, but for low contrast scenes I was in error, I think.

NM%20Storm%2020D%20IMG_1871-XL.jpg
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2014
    pathfinder wrote: »
    A file from a trip in 2005, shot with a 20D, that I recently rediscovered un-edited until today...

NM%20Storm%2020D%20IMG_1871-XL.jpg[img][/img]

Wonderful rendition of a bad link.................headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2014
    I see that Sam, apparently I dropped a backslash in my image coding - should work now

Does the image need more drama, more contrast? I purposely have left the image a bit flat of the total contrast in the file available to use, because I felt it was better than the more contrasty image. Do folks agree, or feel it needs more drama?

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2014
    Jim,

Since you asked :D This is the direction I think I would go. A little crude but hopefully you get the direction.

i-fsm7ZSS-L.jpg
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2014
    I love mountains and storms. I agree with Sam's direction. Even though flat is like a soothing storm, but an amazing scene like that needs to be more catchy! JMO! Cheers!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2014
    I like both for different reasons.

The first post seems more documentary, while the later is more artistic.

I see four layers to the shot, which I think is unusual.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2014
    Sam, thanks for you answer and your edit. I knew my image was not finished yet, even though I did like it. I think it is an image that will be better in a larger print, than a small image on a monitor, but maybe that is just me.

I went back and reworked it, taking out some of the blue in upper quarter tones, I think the blue was not to my taste at least, and got here, whichI felt was better than the first, and that got me thinking about monochrome next.

NM%20Storm%20edit%20%232%20%2020D%20IMG_1871-XL.jpg

So after removing some of the blue, I trashed all the color entirely, and I think I may be heading in the right direction. Anyone agree or disagree?

NM%20Storm%20edit%20%232%20B%26W%2020D%20IMG_1871-XL.jpg

Criticisms and suggestions heartily endorsed

Phil, I agree that this a very layered image, but I don't think either the upper or the lower half of the image will stand on its own, even though that leaves me with a horizontal line through the middle of the image, which usually is a big bad no no.

No monochrome is finished without at least a look at split toning too, sometimes, anyway And now I'll quit for a while

Storm%20split%20toning%20B%26W-XL.jpg

• Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    mooi en ga voor de zwart/wit uitvoering.
    vind bij kleur de bovenkant te roze.
    grt,boco.
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    boco wrote: »
    mooi en ga voor de zwart/wit uitvoering.
    vind bij kleur de bovenkant te roze.
    grt,boco.

I like the more contrasty color version that Sam pointed you towards and your 2nd rendition was very nice... those clouds need drama... the flat look is what you expect in a nursing home....

Nice Shot, love dramatic clouds.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    Phil, I agree that this a very layered image, but I don't think either the upper or the lower half of the image will stand on its own, even though that leaves me with a horizontal line through the middle of the image, which usually is a big bad no no.

Split toning - hmm I haven't done that yet. I like that.

Excellent progression in post processing - really like the dramatic effect in the B&W. There is something about the split toning version I like, but can't put it into words just yet.

Regarding my comment about four layers being unusual, I meant that as a positive. I am trying to analyze compositions and put them into words, which doesn't come easy sometimes.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    Wiren wrote: »
    I like the more contrasty color version that Sam pointed you towards and your 2nd rendition was very nice... those clouds need drama... the flat look is what you expect in a nursing home....

Nice Shot, love dramatic clouds.

Lee

Lee, I tend to favor drama for storms as well, but this scene is not one of "sturm und drang", but one of quiet soft rain without much in the way of real winds - I know this since I was there, hence i felt the more retrained softer tones were more appropriate but I may be alone in my interpretation.

• Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    Split toning - hmm I haven't done that yet. I like that.

Excellent progression in post processing - really like the dramatic effect in the B&W. There is something about the split toning version I like, but can't put it into words just yet.

Regarding my comment about four layers being unusual, I meant that as a positive. I am trying to analyze compositions and put them into words, which doesn't come easy sometimes.

Phil

Split toning in LR is very simple, Phil. The trick is to know that if you hold down the opt/alt key while adjusting the highlight or shadow color slider, you will "real time" see your image in the color selected by the slider. Then just adjust the opacity for the highlights and shadows, and the balance slider between highlight and shadow depths, and you are done. Easy Peasy.

I think the green/brown color in the foreground of the color image is not a positive. I think that is why I came to prefer the monochrome or split toned images; the foreground becomes less eye catching, thus favoring the brighter area of the storm over the mountain. JMO

• Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    Boco, I agree that I do not favor the more pink tones in the sky in my second rendition. I think that is part of why I prefer to move to monochrome, as is the darker, less eye catching foreground grass and dirt.

• Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    Split toning in LR is very simple, Phil. The trick is to know that if you hold down the opt/alt key while adjusting the highlight or shadow color slider, you will "real time" see your image in the color selected by the slider. Then just adjust the opacity for the highlights and shadows, and the balance slider between highlight and shadow depths, and you are done. Easy Peasy.

I think the green/brown color in the foreground of the color image is not a positive. I think that is why I came to prefer the monochrome or split toned images; the foreground becomes less eye catching, thus favoring the brighter area of the storm over the mountain. JMO

Thanks for split toning tutorial. I will try that soon.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    Happy to oblige.

Split toning always seemed so arcane for me, but LR really makes it easy, whether in monochrome images or even for color images. The secret for me was being able to see the color being overlaid real time in the highlights and the shadows, each.

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2014
    Great subject matter to begin with. I like all of your versions. I think I am most attracted to the first version. That may be because I saw it first and consider it the original, but mostly I think it is because it creates a feeling of weight. I can almost feel the sinking atmospheric pressure that settled the rain over the mountains.
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    Thanks for posting, Roaddog52.

FWIW, the version I have at home in a print is the B&W version. No accounting for taste, maybe :D

• Options
    EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    Cool image, moody. I like the other versions you had above too.
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2014
    Sam, thanks for you answer and your edit. I knew my image was not finished yet, even though I did like it. I think it is an image that will be better in a larger print, than a small image on a monitor, but maybe that is just me.

I went back and reworked it, taking out some of the blue in upper quarter tones, I think the blue was not to my taste at least, and got here, whichI felt was better than the first, and that got me thinking about monochrome next.

NM%20Storm%20edit%20%232%20%2020D%20IMG_1871-XL.jpg

So after removing some of the blue, I trashed all the color entirely, and I think I may be heading in the right direction. Anyone agree or disagree?

NM%20Storm%20edit%20%232%20B%26W%2020D%20IMG_1871-XL.jpg

Criticisms and suggestions heartily endorsed

No monochrome is finished without at least a look at split toning too, sometimes, anyway And now I'll quit for a while

Storm%20split%20toning%20B%26W-XL.jpg

Love the split toning, too! Nicely done, Pathfinder!