Options

Statistics now counting images NOT viewed!

AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
edited July 31, 2014 in SmugMug Support
In this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1962929#post1962929

docwalker says ...
Recent changes to the site are counting your visits. To make your site as fast as possible we are prefetching images in the background. That is causing images to show hits that you may not have clicked on. We are working to improve things in the future that should help make this more accurate.

Is is just me or do others see this as a MAJOR problem with Smugmug statistics? :dunno
So what do the stats tell an owner? If it's counting owner views, and images that have not even been viewed, just what do they say? Of what use are statistics like this? How can an owner use the Smugmug stats in any meaningful way? :scratch

I hope I am wrong, but this looks like a total disaster to me. I have no idea how Smugmug thought this would be a good thing. Smugmug wants to speed up loading ... fine; but not at the expense of completely breaking the stats. :cry

Thoughts?
My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
www.acecootephotography.com

Comments

• Options
    silverstreakssilverstreaks Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2014
    Despite selecting a start date of November 2009 then an end date of 30th July 2014, after numerous attempts to gain my stats for that four plus year period why do the results continually show a commencement date of 2013/01/01 and not the start date I selected.

Have all of the stats for the years preceding 2013/01/01 been lost ?????
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2014
    I'm not from Smugmug - can't answer you question.

I'm just trying to point out to other users that the Smugmug statistics are virtually worthless if they are going to count Owner views and pre-fetched views.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    swattyswatty Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2014
    me to
    I am having the same drama. All my figures prior to 2013 appear to be non existant. Not sure if they are lost forever or smuggy has a problem.

Grant
  • Options
    livverlipslivverlips Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2014
    Smugmug stats ARE completely useless, they may as well remove the link to their "stats" entirely. They have completely dropped the ball on this. Very disappointed. I am actively searching for alternative photo hosting.
  • Options
    silverstreakssilverstreaks Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    livverlips wrote: »
    Smugmug stats ARE completely useless, they may as well remove the link to their "stats" entirely. They have completely dropped the ball on this. Very disappointed. I am actively searching for alternative photo hosting.

I agree with you entirely. Smugmug have indeed purged all Stats information data prior to 2013/01/01 and did so without any consultation or warning to their customers. An act which I find totally astonishing for an Image Hosting company . My renewal date cant come quick enough.