Password Protected Gallery not secure?

James DJames D Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited July 30, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I uploaded a new gallery for a client and set it on password protected. It has 53 views according to Smugmug stats, not including myself, and I had not sent it to the client yet. There are no key words added, just image numbers. On my Google stats nothing shows for any landings on the page though I realize google doesn't catch everything.

So my question is.... Why or how is this happening??

Thank you,

Jim

Comments

• docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 29, 2014
    Jim, Recent changes to the site are counting your visits. To make your site as fast as possible we are prefetching images in the background. That is causing images to show hits that you may not have clicked on. We are working to improve things in the future that should help make this more accurate.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • James DJames D Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 29, 2014
    Thanks so much!!
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2014
    docwalker wrote: »
    Jim, Recent changes to the site are counting your visits. To make your site as fast as possible we are prefetching images in the background. That is causing images to show hits that you may not have clicked on. We are working to improve things in the future that should help make this more accurate.

No thanks here!! Makes the statistics meaningless if it is counting images that haven't been clicked on or viewed.
    If you want to pre-fetch ... fine; but to count these in our statistics is just crazy!!
    So what DO the statistics show?
    How can this possibly be useful when trying to analyse use of my website?

The mind boggles at the thinking that has not gone into this.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • AlamethAlameth Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2014
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    No thanks here!! Makes the statistics meaningless if it is counting images that haven't been clicked on or viewed....

The mind boggles at the thinking that has not gone into this.

Clearly. I'm not sure which is worse: The horrid signal-to-noise ratio in my stats, or the inconsistent explanations for what's going on.

(I'm now keeping notes on pencil and paper when I do site maintenance so I have some hope of extracting useful data from the stats.)