Options

Passwords

bentleygbentleyg Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited July 31, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Not sure if this has been addressed. Using the 'new' smugmug and I am logged in. I needed to retrieve a password for a client so I checked the gallery settings, and the password is hidden like this *******
So I tried to change it and the change doesn't take effect, it just goes back to *******. I checked a few other galleries and got the same thing. I need to be able to see the passwords for my clients in case they forget, and goodness knows I can't remember them :thumb

Comments

• Options
    botpixbotpix Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Absolutely correct! We reference these passwords years later, and I can't always change them if other people are still using the original ones. +1
    Drew Lockwood
    ---
    www.mybotpix.com (smugmug)
    www.botpix.com (wordpress)
  • Options
    bentleygbentleyg Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Here's the response I got from support: "In the new SmugMug, we will not display any passwords in plain text in the gallery settings, sorry! However, you are able to change the password by simply changing it in the gallery settings. You'll still see the ***** appear when typing the new password, but after saving, the new password will take effect."

Honestly it seems a little odd that the owner of the account can no longer see the passwords. I should be able to view them without having to change them. What if I have an event where multiple clients have the password, but one person forgets? I would have to change it if I don't remember it. Then the other clients would need the new password. I think this is something that needs to be fixed. Quickly.
  • Options
    botpixbotpix Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Look I have quietly sat back and watched this roll out, listened to everyone rant, and actually really enjoyed setting up our new site. But I have hundreds of galleries that, if I had known this would be an issue, I could have created a "master list" for the passwords before hitting "Unveil". This is not acceptable for smugmug to not inform us that we should take precautions!

Is there any way (or plans) to provide a secure connection for viewing "secure" details like these?
    Drew Lockwood
    ---
    www.mybotpix.com (smugmug)
    www.botpix.com (wordpress)
  • Options
    Calm Light PhotosCalm Light Photos Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    I agree with everyone, as I have had the same problem. For new galleries that I have created since I unveiled my new site, I have made a note of the passwords in each persons contact info in the email address. I can retrieve it in a minute but it is still annoying. I wonder WHY smugmug decided the passwords needed to be invisible to us?!
  • Options
    PhotoSkeenPhotoSkeen Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2014
    It's been 12 months since this discussion was started and we all know the current situation... We do not have access to our passwords and we are not going to to get them. ... End of Story... So the question I pose, is what sort of fix have you developed? Have you found a "password manager" software that allows data input from our computers and access from our phones as well? Any suggestions for someone (me) who has not "rolled over" to the New SmugMug yet? And as a note - I use a Windows 7 PC and Android based phone.
    Thanks!