D4 and Wildlife- first attempts

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited May 14, 2012 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

After a 4 month wait I finally received Nikon's new bad boy the D4. I've taken around 2,500 captures with it so far, enough to draw a few conclusions.

The D4 is an incremental improvement over the D3/D3s. The two big improvements for me have been the improved AF and the ability to AF at f8. My 2.0 and 1.7 TCs work much better on the D4 than the D3s. The ability to attach the 2.0 TC on the 300mm f/4 and end up with a hand holdable 600mm lens is rather cool. Being able to effectively use the 500 f/4 with the 2.0 TC for a reach of 1000mm on a FF frame body is fantastic.

The D4 equals it not edges out the D3s for high ISO shooting. The resolution and DR are also a tad better. My only nit is the new battery but due to Japanese law Nikon didn't have much choice there. The D4 is lighter but the D3s still feels more comfortable to hold.

I haven't tried out the video yet but I do have some stills to inflcit upon y'all.

For high ISO here's an immature red shouldered hawk at ISO 12800 with the 500mm f/4 and 1.7 TC. Except for some minor cropping I have done no post work on this image
ISO12800-XL.jpg

100% crop
ISO12800crop-XL.jpg

least bittern ISO 1250 500mm f/5 and 2.0 TC
D4D2458-XL.jpg

can the AF catch action with a 2.0 TC on f/4 lens? ISO 1000 500mm f/4 and 2.0 TC
D4D2320-XL.jpg

Black crowned Night Heron doing the frog flip ISO 500 with the 200-400 f/4 and 1.7 TC
D40176-XL.jpg

limpkin - IS0 640 200-400 f/4 and 1.7 TC
D40086-XL.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Awesome captures Harry. Thanks so much for this mini-review.

The D4 did get my attention also, but my budget don't allow it as yet.
    I don't know how much PP went into the captures, but it seems that it perform very well at the higher ISO numbers.
    A TC 1.5 and TC 2.0 are also on my wish-list.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Awesome captures Harry. Thanks so much for this mini-review.

The D4 did get my attention also, but my budget don't allow it as yet.
    I don't know how much PP went into the captures, but it seems that it perform very well at the higher ISO numbers.
    A TC 1.5 and TC 2.0 are also on my wish-list.

Thanks Dick, the hawk captures have not been processed at all yet. The high ISO performance seems to be a tad better than the D3s. I'm also finding that the D4 images need less sharpening.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Those high ISO photos are amazing, Harry! You have to be happy with the D4, I would think. Of course I love the frog flip! I hope Canon eventually releases the 1dx, and that it performs like your D4! Best, Pam
    edited May 10, 2012
    PGM wrote: »
    Those high ISO photos are amazing, Harry! You have to be happy with the D4, I would think. Of course I love the frog flip! I hope Canon eventually releases the 1dx, and that it performs like your D4! Best, Pam

I never shot at ISO 11,800 before and I wasn;t expecting much but the results were rather surprising.

I'm betting that the 1DX is going to be an amazing camera. I waited 4 months for the D4 and I'm still waiting for my D800E. Patience is always required to get the capture or to get the darn camera.
    Harry
  • Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2012
    Pretty darn good results Harry, they sure are a sweet camera and they are getting better with each version.
    edited May 14, 2012
    Pretty darn good results Harry, they sure are a sweet camera and they are getting better with each version.

Thanks Dennis. I think back a few years and its amazing how the capabilities of the cameras have progessed. If only my own skills had kept pace with the cameras' progress.
    Harry