Camping in Southern Colorado

CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
edited September 27, 2006 in Journeys
I wouldn't really call this a journey but more of a mis-mash of photos I took on our 4 day camping trip this weekend. :D

My family and I live in Denver, and a couple years ago my husband and I invested in some raw land (approximately 40 acres) just west of the little town of Walsenburg. We call it "The Ranch".

The Ranch is about 3 hours from our home and we spend several weekends a year camping and goofing off.

When we arrived on Thursday it was a bright beautiful day but a bit on the windy side. The first thing that caught my eye was this caterpillar. This was a tough shot to get since the wind was gusting 20-30mph and this little bush was bouncing all aver the place!
PICT7893.jpg

I showed Patrick how cool this guy was.
PICT7874.jpg

I wondered over to the tool shed and found this little guy. There were actually at least 5 lizards living in the shed. At least that's how many I counted scurrying under the wall!
PICT7909.jpg

Thursdays sunset was not very colorful but the wind caused some interesting cloud formations.
PICT7890.jpg

Friday began with another bright day but the winds were up to about 40mph. We didn't let that stop all of our fun though. Here is a shot of the view from my "driveway"
PICT7911.jpg

I was wandering down my driveway and I saw this wierd bee type bug. They don't have these in the city!
PICT7917.jpg

Some flowers at the end of the driveway.
PICT7922.jpg

A quick little rain shower left this nice rainbow.
PICT7924.jpg

The wind was even worse on Saturday, up to at least 50mph so we all tried to lay low. I did take a quick drive up the road to revisit one of my favorite photo locations. I don't know any history on this church, but is sure is old!
PICT8018.jpg

PICT7999.jpg

PICT7989.jpg

The wind abruptly died around dinner time and we were very excited to be able to have a camp fire that night. Sunday morning was still and cool. It was nearing time to pack up but we decided to go for a quick hike around the property before we left.

Look at the bones!!! Cain found this jawbone that he thought was pretty cool. Probably a cow.
PICT8023.jpg

Ben and Patrick taking a rest (more like waiting for Mom and Cain to catch up :D ) This is a lava rock wall at the edge of the property.
PICT8025.jpg

Tracking deer up the ridge. I'm pretty sure we're trespassing here!
PICT8035.jpg

Annie dog posing for the camera. We've nick-named her Paris Hilton because she's not real smart but she gets by on her looks :rofl
PICT8048.jpg

A cool twisted Juniper. Need to do a B&W conversion on this one.
PICT8054.jpg

Well that's all for now. Hope you all enjoyed your visit to The Ranch! Comments and Critique are not just welcome but very much appreciated!

Charla

Comments

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    That's an amazing Ranch! I esp. liked the shot with the church overlooking the land.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    That's an amazing Ranch! I esp. liked the shot with the church overlooking the land.

I appreciate the comments :D This is one of the few areas in the Colorado mountains that is still affordable and we have so much fun when we get to go there.

I wanted to spend more time at the old church but the wind was so terrible I only spent about 5 minutes there. All the remaining shingles on the roof were at high risk of blowing off!
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    Great sunset shot and that old chapel can be a study in itself. Thanks for the trip to CO.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    Lizard is my favorite. good colors and tone for that one.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    I loved Colorado when I was there, Liked the sunset. Thanks for posting
    -Mike
  • stephiewilliamsstephiewilliams Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    Charla, there is that beautiful Colorado mountain skyline, would recognize it anywhere! I am from Colorado as well. Great shots, really love the lizard pics!
    Stephie
    "AMATEURS try till they get it right, PROS try till they cannot possibly get it wrong."

Gallery - http://stephaniewilliams.smugmug.com
    edited September 23, 2006
    Charla, there is that beautiful Colorado mountain skyline, would recognize it anywhere! I am from Colorado as well. Great shots, really love the lizard pics!

Thanks Stephie!
    :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited September 27, 2006
    I spent some time in Buena Vista this summer. The area is a beautiful
    slice of Colorado.

Thanks for sharing!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited September 27, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I spent some time in Buena Vista this summer. The area is a beautiful
    slice of Colorado.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for looking and commenting! :D