3rd party fisheye lens

BMW_StuBMW_Stu Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited January 11, 2010 in Accessories
Im writing this because this is a fairly new lens, not many people have it, and theres very little info im not going to do a full lens review with 100% crops and i have nothing to compare it against but i will try to give a decent feel for what this lens can do. SO! I stumbled upon this little thing on overstock.com, they didnt used to sell camera stuff, i just happened to come across it. They sell it from btw $280 and $350 depending on what camera brand you have, theres one for every brand. This lens also goes by a bunch of different brand names, the ones i know of so far are Rokunar, Samyang, Bower, Falcon, and the Vivitar branded id advertised as a 7mm. Strange to me but whatever...
I searched around for info and sample images from it, what i found was very limited but the few images i found were good, and reviews from folks that bought it said it was a solid built lens. the FOV provides 180* diagonal i think 163* or 160* horizontal and 90* vertical. Its also a full manual lens, no AF, no metering unless you have a d200 or better.
When i got the lens in hand, it definatly felt solid, theres no looseness at all anywhere, the focus ring slides smooth and easy, the aperture ring is also easy to turn and moves in half stop increments from f3.5 to f22 it has a metal mount and mounts right to the camera tightly with ease.
I havnt done too much shooting to really get a good feel for the lens because its cold and windy outside and not very pleasant to walk around. I have never had to use full manual before so i dont know if i am getting the best possible photos from this lens, but to far i am satisfied and impressed, no buyers remorse. The only drawbacks i see in this lens is that it is fully manual, and because of the hemispherical front, it wont be getting a polarizer lol, but that comes with the territory of a fisheye.
the full manual isnt such a bad thing, this lens can be bought for under 300 bux new, af and metering would significantly increase the pricetag, the nikon fisheye is close to 700 bux, so i think this is a pretty good bargain.
Here are a couple of pictures i took of the lens, and below that pictures i took with the lens last night. Stay tuned for better photos with this lens, i should have something b4 the week is over.
4230868592_a2cfac1fa3.jpg
4230868124_fbf47f7eec.jpg
next to the 18-55mm kit lens
4230100415_6323105959.jpg
and...
753575295_ePhWs-L.jpg
753574880_AAS9C-L.jpg
753575634_LtTyL-L.jpg
753576019_CVCf5-L.jpg
:dunno:hotfood

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited January 1, 2010
    Congratulations. It looks like a lot of fun. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Nice review!

I bought a Peleng 8mm a few years ago and didn't like it much. This appears to be much better quality and about the same price.

thumb.gif
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Just to chime in for any others reading this thread for education -- I've the Sigma 8mm and it is AWESOME. For a third party lens, I could not be happier. Have gotten a lot of fun and amazing shots off of it. I just wish I had it ages ago so I could play with it more at some of the places I've traveled. (not much traveling right now....)
    //Leah
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    I too have the Peleng and I don't use it much. I don't like the large amount of vignetting and it feels so vulnerable with the glass bulging out with not type of hood whatsoever. I may sell it since I rarely use it, this lens looks like a good alternative.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.