Options

2 from today

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited October 16, 2014 in People
Couple of business headshots from today.

DSC_1344-Edit-X3.jpg

DSC_1382-Edit-X3.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 14, 2014
    Wow, pretty gorgeous business ladies there, Alex. :wow

These are really great. Poses and lighting are spot-on. As a suggestion that may not be practical in your space, it would be nice to get them a bit further from the background so the imperfections in it wouldn't be as noticeable. Since this is corporate work, I would consider fixing the background up in PS.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    Thanks for the look Joel. Yeah, I couldn't get them any further from the background. The conference room I used had limited space. These were quick edits and not the finals. I'll take a look at the backdrop again and clean it up. Didn't look too bad to me but I wasn't paying close attention.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    How is this:

DSC_1382-Edit-2-X3.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    Excellent. I think hairlight is so important. Care to share your lighting setup? Thanks.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    Excellent. I think hairlight is so important. Care to share your lighting setup? Thanks.

Yes. Hair light always adds dimension/depth and really give photos a polished/professional look.

I never mind sharing.

Main: 48" Octobox camera right
    Fill: Large white reflector camera left
    Hair: 30° honeycomb grid camera left

D800;70-200mm f/2.8 VRI

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    Thanks! So, err uhh, what do you have in the octobox and honeycomb, and how are you triggering?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    Thanks! So, err uhh, what do you have in the octobox and honeycomb, and how are you triggering?

I shoot with Alien Bees. Main/Octo was an AB800. Hair/honeycomb was AB400. I use Pixel King wireless triggers.

Feel free to ask any other questions. Always happy to help. thumb.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    bowdown.gif Thanks again.
    -Jack

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    Great job on posing and lighting.

things to watch out for.
    1. center the necklace on pose 1. Ladies tend to really notice those things.
    2. move hair away from the throat area or you will be spending a lot of time retouching it out.
    3. if doing a large amt of singles move the main to the other side so they don't all look alike.

I hope your charging for these and not being used by the company. Great work.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    Thanks Hack... Good points and I will try to keep my eye on those details. Although, I don't have a lot of time with these folks. They're meeting machines so I'm catching them in between meetings and typically have like 10 minutes to get them done. No excuse though. 10 minutes is plenty for these small details.

And yes Hack... I'm getting paid. Charging them typical rates for our area. I'm actually charging a bit more than the last "Pro" they used. I landed the job because the other guy was booked and they needed a few headshots done for some stuff for a convention they had a in a week. They asked me. I did the job and they loved my work so now I'm doing all of their work.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    I often miss details like that when I sense the subject is in a hurry or disgruntled with having their picture taken at all. Argh. rolleyes1.gif
    -Jack

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    Great traditional business shots. Love everything except the clothing wrinkles, which that pose almost always generates, alas. Can do a pretty quick fix on those with frequency separation - it may not bug you enough to bother, but it's one of my pet peeves, so I typically smooth them out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    great looking pros!
    they look a bit too hot on the highlights to me, but poses and angles... I am stealing them.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    Oh, also- the Phantom Lavender Fingernails - I would TOTALLY clone out the ones which are peeping out on her camera right (hidden) hand
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    Nice job Alex! Hopefully one day I'll be able to get my lighting half as good as your's!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    divamum wrote: »
    Great traditional business shots. Love everything except the clothing wrinkles, which that pose almost always generates, alas. Can do a pretty quick fix on those with frequency separation - it may not bug you enough to bother, but it's one of my pet peeves, so I typically smooth them out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

These were quick edits of the shot I liked the most of each set. I still have to get their selections to do final.
    Foques wrote: »
    great looking pros!
    they look a bit too hot on the highlights to me, but poses and angles... I am stealing them.

Thanks!!! Not saying your wrong but you may want to check your monitor. Highlights look OK on my end. ne_nau.gif
    divamum wrote: »
    Oh, also- the Phantom Lavender Fingernails - I would TOTALLY clone out the ones which are peeping out on her camera right (hidden) hand

Good catch on the fingers. I probably would have missed that.
    Gary752 wrote: »
    Nice job Alex! Hopefully one day I'll be able to get my lighting half as good as your's!

GaryB

Haha. Thanks. clap.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2014
    I just saw the last edit, and it does look much better!
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2014
    Foques wrote: »
    I just saw the last edit, and it does look much better!

Cool!! Still not final but close. clap.gif

My Smug Site