Options

Latex dress

D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
edited October 22, 2014 in People
One of the shots from a Latex shoot.... I have tried to avoid the negative impression that the word "latex " has in terms of photography.
i-7sr2q5X-X3.jpg
A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    Your photography is as usual impeccable, but the composition doesn't work for me. I don't know whether to look at the plant or the model, and the model is close the left side looking out. I think more space in front of the model would help.

Sam
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    I am just about to give my first presentation on composition. The most repeated statement in my presentation is "Break the Rules!".

For me, I agree with Sam that the plant is distracting. A simpler image without the plant would suit me.

I like the model looking into less negative space in this instance.

As always, well done!

I envy the lighting.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    AlexSharkAlexShark Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    I can't comment on the composition because I don't know the purpose of the photo, what does it aim to accomplish? The title is equally applicable to a fashion shot, a fairy tale, and "Dial M for Murder." So it's not about the latex for me either. I'm at a loss trying to ferret out the story. Maybe you could elaborate? Then there will be the space for a discussion.

The model looks doll-like with some Japanese overtones. This seems to be deliberate. OK. What else?
    Photography is about what does not meet the eye
    Be my guest: Alex Braverman Photography
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    I'm seeing Persephone from Matrix Reloaded. I agree about the plant. It says "my boss told me to put something here". I think you need to go Alice in Wonderland or Salvador Dali with themes like this and really bend our minds.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    I like the shot and composition. I don't think you need to have a story to make this work. Make up the story yourself.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2014
    Actually, it really is beneficial taking this work deeper.

Consider the following Renoir:

young-woman-sewing.jpg

(This alone makes it worthwhile living in Chicago!)

The painting is perfectly balanced, like the photo in question. But -- the proximity and shapes of the head and the flowers create an almost symbiotic relationship. This is not mere juxtaposition, the flowers are not a prop -- to me they reflect the thoughts of the woman, they are the bright content of her head! And her expression merely confirms that. Without the flowers I would have hard time fixing her thoughts.

Now, the photo above has the beginnings of this idea. And if the author had this concept in mind, this could turn out a very interesting discussion.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2014
    Is she using a retro styled prototype cell phone ?

pp
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2014
    Very interesting comments and observation..... So maybe I need to add a few words.

First goal was to place Latex out of the sex sphere.
    Second goal was to create something different, something that is against most standard rules
    Third set a feel for what is today a common problem with cell phones , everywhere and always... the take is here:

A person shows up for a party/meeting, completely distracted with a Cell phone conversation, even at the table, in the room. ( we all know how those people can spoil a get together, by constant texting and calling). To play that mind set , I provided a real old telephone, yet no wall socket , the model is absent in the picture and focused on the conversation... The old phone reflects a cell phone, hence no cord. The model could care less about the set and the surroundings and even placed the plant on the ground , so that she could sit on the stand. The checkered floor emphasis the black and white contrast of those that want to communicate face to face and those on cyberspace. Hence the Latex dress (cyber) .
    We have all been part of a party or gathering, where guests stand in corners, sit on odd things to text with their cell phone, ignoring the group they are in....

That is the take on this picture....
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2014
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    A person shows up for a party/meeting, completely distracted with a Cell phone conversation, even at the table, in the room. ( we all know how those people can spoil a get together, by constant texting and calling). To play that mind set , I provided a real old telephone, yet no wall socket , the model is absent in the picture and focused on the conversation... The old phone reflects a cell phone, hence no cord. The model could care less about the set and the surroundings and even placed the plant on the ground , so that she could sit on the stand. The checkered floor emphasis the black and white contrast of those that want to communicate face to face and those on cyberspace. Hence the Latex dress (cyber) .
    We have all been part of a party or gathering, where guests stand in corners, sit on odd things to text with their cell phone, ignoring the group they are in....

That is the take on this picture....

Got it. OK, I was on entirely wrong track. But now that I know what you were aiming at, I must confess that I do not get this from the photo. Perhaps, a title like "oblivious," or "internal conversation," or "secrets" would be closer to your intent. "Latex dress" emphasizes the latex dress, not takes away the attention from it! So this is a touch self-defeating.

While trying to portray the sense of isolation in the crowd, one needs the crowd, or at least a hint of the crowd. Yet the photo speaks of desolation as opposed to isolation. There's absolutely nothing antisocial in her being on a dead phone since there's no one around. Additionally, the symbolism of the lone tree loses its meaning. Her doll-like look also loses its place, because to fulfill your concept she might as well be wearing jeans and let her hair down.

So what am I saying here? The strong points of the photo: the look, the dress, and the tree -- are not serving the intended purpose, and thus they are left in the void. What can be done with it? Perhaps, your idea can find fruition in a different setting, but here I'd try to develop this into a character portrait, just as seen in the Renoir. The tree much closer to her that mimics her posture (whether bending with her or away from her). Since she looks plasticky (a good point!) maybe this should be a plastic tree? This would not offer your commentary, but it might offer a comment on the unreality of modern existence.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2014
    TXS Alex, and something for next time...

Regards Steve
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2014
    Thanks for the explanation..................but if your going to have a gal talk into a rotary phone that isn't plugged in maybe you should have hired a blond. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Ducking and hiding................

Sam
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2014
    I just cropped the plant and every left of the image out with a piece of paper on my monitor.... and I love the image :)

My only nit? The angle of the table and how she's sitting on it make it look like it might be going further in her butt than you intended lol.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    Thanks for the explanation..................but if your going to have a gal talk into a rotary phone that isn't plugged in maybe you should have hired a blond. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Ducking and hiding................

Sam

Hahaha, Sam.....models :D.... No really but I ran out of blondes.
    And you know what ? Those youngsters have no idea what a rotary dial is..... they often just push in the holes....rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2014
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    I just cropped the plant and every left of the image out with a piece of paper on my monitor.... and I love the image :)

My only nit? The angle of the table and how she's sitting on it make it look like it might be going further in her butt than you intended lol.

Hahaha, maybe it did.... TXS