Options

Impromptu Photo Shoot

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited October 16, 2014 in People
This was not planed and all were taken with one speed light on camera.

C&C appreciated.

#1 Mimicking
i-2tPVSD7-L.jpg

#2 You do not want to be on the other end of this look!
i-9Wk2gB9-L.jpg

#3 A little different processing
i-5QT8QZL-L.jpg

#4 Campy
i-xDVbffb-L.jpg

#5 A more natural look
i-sGBxNmC-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2014
    I found the 5th to be the best (which is very good). Perhaps 2 and 3 too much centered at the middle?
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    I like them all Sam and I don't mind the centering at all, especially in # 2 where the white BKG gives her a halo/aura effect.

My nit: In # 4 she has pulled her chin in making her face appear a bit rounder/heavier than it is.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    Bilsen wrote: »
    I like them all Sam and I don't mind the centering at all, especially in # 2 where the white BKG gives her a halo/aura effect.

My nit: In # 4 she has pulled her chin in making her face appear a bit rounder/heavier than it is.

Thanks!! Good catch on #4. I didn't see this at all until you pointed it out.

Sam
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    I like them all, but if I had to pick just one, I'd have to go with #5, with #1 a close second.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2014
    Yup - nice set, but 5 is the winner here. Nice job!
  • Options
    AlexSharkAlexShark Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2014
    These are all quite nice. I even like the somewhat cliche-ish #1. And I like the variety of expressions. The OOF in #4 is very cool!

I do wonder about the choice of the bottom (the photo and the body) crop in 2, 3, and 5. Removing the full length of her legs makes "that part" look disproportionately heavy. I would not shoot this woman 3/4 length while she's wearing tight pants. A loose dress would fix it, full length will fix it, or waist up would fix it also. Unless, of course, this is the way she wants it.
    Photography is about what does not meet the eye
    Be my guest: Alex Braverman Photography
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2014
    AlexShark wrote: »
    These are all quite nice. I even like the somewhat cliche-ish #1. And I like the variety of expressions. The OOF in #4 is very cool!

I do wonder about the choice of the bottom (the photo and the body) crop in 2, 3, and 5. Removing the full length of her legs makes "that part" look disproportionately heavy. I would not shoot this woman 3/4 length while she's wearing tight pants. A loose dress would fix it, full length will fix it, or waist up would fix it also. Unless, of course, this is the way she wants it.

Alex,

Thanks for the critique! I see what you mean. If we ever do a formal shoot I will try to remember your tip.

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2014
    Thank you everyone for the input.

Peoples is hard to take pretty pictures of.................:D

What is interesting is my favorites are #2 and #3. #2 simply because I know her and this is not really her typical look. I asked her not to smile and this is what I got, she really looks angry but was laughing immediately after the shot.

#3 for the processing.

Always interesting to see what others see.

Sam
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2014
    Great job on color and exposure. I would change some of the posing but that is personal preference. Biggest nit is the lighting is mostly flat. Need some shadowing to add depth.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2014
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Great job on color and exposure. I would change some of the posing but that is personal preference. Biggest nit is the lighting is mostly flat. Need some shadowing to add depth.

Yes......another good thought.

Thanks!!

Sam
  • Options
    AlexSharkAlexShark Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2014
    Hi Sam,

On the second glance: there's a heavy shadow behind her back in #2, and the same shadow on the railing in #2. There's also the elbow shadow in #5, and I don't care for her reflection there as well.

Forgive my nitpicking, but there could be something useful in it. So... without lighting up the background I wouldn't put a model so close to the wall or anything that displays shadows; if you must shoot next glass either use a polarizer or make the reflection a part of the composition. How does that sound?
    Photography is about what does not meet the eye
    Be my guest: Alex Braverman Photography