Options

Softball

WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
edited May 13, 2016 in Sports
With all the technicals of shooting spec for this league, I wanted to pause and take a moment to share some of the work I have produced in the last 8 days.... Prepare yourself for some immense cuteness! This hasn't been easy as my 50-200mm is falling apart.. literally, I have to carefully extend it to the FL I choose and hold the barrel as the length and weight want to pull it apart... the lens is 8 years old and quite used up.... I am expecting my new 40-150/2.8 (4/3... so equiv. to 80-300mm at 2.8 :wink )

1. U8%201%20vs%202-164-XL.jpg

2. U8%201%20vs%202-2005-XL.jpg

3. U8%201%20vs%202-330-XL.jpg

4. U8%201%20vs%202-403-XL.jpg

5. U8%201%20vs%204-49-XL.jpg

6. U8%205%20vs%206-1315-XL.jpg

7. U8%205%20vs%206-1395-XL.jpg

8. untitled-90-XL.jpg

Much more on my site... I've only done about 12 out of 31 teams.....
Lee Wiren

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2016
    Some very nice image quality here - honestly I'm surprised it's m4/3. Good exposures, color, and framing. Catching the ball on the bat like in 3 was a very rare thing for me, but I was only shooting with 8 or 6 fps cameras. What is your fps?

However it looks like you are inserting yourself into the game and are possibly a distraction. 1 is adorable, but 2 and 8 look like "what are you doing here?", IMO.

I'd like to see more action and less "hey kid" shots.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2016
    Some very nice image quality here - honestly I'm surprised it's m4/3. Good exposures, color, and framing. Catching the ball on the bat like in 3 was a very rare thing for me, but I was only shooting with 8 or 6 fps cameras. What is your fps?

Well, the new camera has the option of up to 11fps in S-AF mode and up to 8 (I think) in C-AF..., I gotta be honest though, at this age and this sport, I think anything over 6 is a waste. In my old E-3 all I had was 3 fps... I am using the 6 fps burst and have my touch on the trigger trained to get 3-4 shots... If I aimed 11fps at every batter and every pitch plus a few more between, i'd be editing 2500 shots from each game... I ain't got that much time. I have done better honing my sense of timing and knowing my camera. I am still learning this new model cam and the settings.... just got my new 40-150/2.8 that has an L-Fn button on the lens that takes it off of C-AF and idles it at the last acquired focal point while pressed... handy that, makes for switching between C-AF and S-AF just a press of a button....
    However it looks like you are inserting yourself into the game and are possibly a distraction. 1 is adorable, but 2 and 8 look like "what are you doing here?", IMO.

I'd like to see more action and less "hey kid" shots.

For this young age group, they're looking everywhere, staring into the camera and smiling at the nice guy behind it is as common as smiling at the coach. after U-10, this phenomenon disappears and i'm just the "stupid camera guy"

Also, as they get older, it get's more and more dangerous and I have to stay in the cage... I take a 5 gal bucket with drinks and snacks and business cards with me so I have somewhere to on the edge of the dugout where Blue won't yell at me and i'm relatively safely tucked away.

I like to start at one dugout capturing all the right handed batters and then the other dugout for the lefties and field action... if there's time, back to the visitor side to catch home plate slides..... trust me, as I get into the older age groups, it will certainly be more action than portraits... not much to shoot at during this age... here's a few (still with that janky old, broken lens....rolleyes1.gif)

1. U8%201%20vs%202-14-XL.jpg

2. U8%201%20vs%202-148-XL.jpg

3. U8%201%20vs%202-599-XL.jpg

4. untitled-170-XL.jpg

5. U8%201%20vs%204-844-XL.jpg

6. U8%201%20vs%204-862-XL.jpg

7. U8%205%20vs%206-232-XL.jpg

8. untitled-142-M.jpg

9. U14%202%20vs%205-428-XL.jpg

10. U14%202%20vs%205-1198-XL.jpg

11. U14%202%20vs%205-1229-L.jpg

12. U14%202%20vs%205-312-XL.jpg
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2016
    Ask and ye shal receive! Great stuff. I hope the parents are rewarding you with orders. Yes I've shot that age group a lot too. Thinking back, I think I tried not to get many shots of the kid connecting with the camera because I didn't want to make any of them uncomfortable or be a distraction. I did get some though.

5D3_1050_cropped-XL.jpg

Definitely make a point to shoot lefty batters from the 1st base side, and righty batters from the 3rd base side. The follow-through is one of my favorite poses.

5D3_4417-X2.jpg

5D3_6165-X2.jpg

I hear you about fps and indeed I shot for 2 years with a 5D3 (6fps) and 300/2.8 and didn't really feel like I was missing out. However after I got my 7D2 (10fps) I found it can be beneficial to take short 2-3 shot bursts while also trying to nail the timing as if you were just taking one shot.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2016
    I've not bothered much with the follow through shots as I didn't think that would be much of interest (or sales)...... in your recollection, did you end up selling many? I'm guessing you must have, but I have no clue what does and does not sell for this, so if you recommend getting those shots then get them I will. bowdown.gif

Really nice images. I certainly like the flexibility of a zoom lens... I typically park it in just 2-3 focal lengths, but when I need that fl, it's nice to not be stuck with a long prime... while on the 3rd base line, I will go from the batter and then down the fl range to get the runner running to 3rd.....

I appreciate your time and sharing and especially the advice and recommendations. I am always looking to improve, so if you have any other shot/pose tips, send them on over, they're welcome here :D

I'll post some more of the older age groups soon enough, I believe my "planned" schedule puts me at the U-14 & U-18 level.

Thanks Jack
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2016
    Oh...., and I have made a few sales already... just a dozen or so 4x6's, a couple 5x7's and 1 web size download.... total profit of about $53.... it's only been 2 weeks, but it's a start....
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2016
    The follow through definitely sells and is all over the sports pages...
    572ac1fce4603.image.jpg

4x6s and 5x7s are the biggest sellers. I'd recommend pricing them both at your 5x7 price.

Zoom is nice but it is less important in Baseball/Softball as the field is the most organized of any. You basically know where the players are going to be at all times. Primes are a liability in sports like Soccer, Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Basketball, etc if you need to get decent shots of as many players as possible in a single game.
    -Jack

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2016
    Great shots Lee. Cute sells. And great to see captures of action in the field. I'm sorry but shots of batters are rather boring - especially when it comes to shareing with other photos
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2016
    johng wrote: »
    Great shots Lee. Cute sells. And great to see captures of action in the field. I'm sorry but shots of batters are rather boring IMO - especially when it comes to shareing with other photos

Fixed that for you. ;-) Yes, shots of batters are not as exciting as action shots in the field, but the problem is that at the Little League level, good action in the field is pretty rare, harder to catch, and definitely won't get you shots of every kid. So, you take shots of every kid batting.
    -Jack

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2016
    Jack - sorry you got your feathers ruffled. As I said - especially when sharing photos with other photogs it's nice to see action shots. T&I shots sell even better, but how boring are those to view as a photographer?