Bottom line: Is Digimarc worth it?

BelgBelg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited November 7, 2014 in Mind Your Own Business
Seen a few threads recommending Digimarc for watermarking, and did some reading that you can track down stolen photos that are posted online etc... the question here is... how easy is it to circumvent (resize? change compression?) and whether it's worth it for anything other than their included offsite storage as a backup?

Pros, what say you? Is it worth the added expense and effort, or is it just cashing in on overly paranoid people? I'd post a poll, but I'd rather hear logic :)

Comments

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Belg wrote:
    Seen a few threads recommending Digimarc for watermarking, and did some reading that you can track down stolen photos that are posted online etc... the question here is... how easy is it to circumvent (resize? change compression?) and whether it's worth it for anything other than their included offsite storage as a backup?

Pros, what say you? Is it worth the added expense and effort, or is it just cashing in on overly paranoid people? I'd post a poll, but I'd rather hear logic :)

I have not met one person that uses it.

Have you had the opportunity to read this:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digimark.htm
  • MarsieDoatsMarsieDoats Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    I've been wondering about Digimarc for a long time. It would be so great to be able to track down people who snag images illegally.

Wondering if SmugMug might be able to partner with Digimarc or some other tracking company and allow users to add it as an option.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    The only comments I've ever seen on it are that it's worthless. And--I don't believe I'm going to type this eek7.gif--Rockwell has a pretty good article there.

Like the vast majority of photogs that don't want unauthorized use, I use visible watermarks on the image. If the client wants a clean shot, they need to pay for it.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    The only comments I've ever seen on it are that it's worthless. And--I don't believe I'm going to type this eek7.gif--Rockwell has a pretty good article there.

I don't believe you said it either, so here ya go Chris:

:beatwax

lol3.giflol3.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    You know what they say about blind squirrels....
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I don't believe you said it either, so here ya go Chris:

:beatwax

lol3.giflol3.gif
    Rockwell may have allot of hot air in his posts. But if your objective about his stuff. You can get allot of good NFO out of his site.
  • TOM2014TOM2014 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 7, 2014
    Do not use it!!!
    I had digimarc since the year 2000. I used the digimarc about 4 years then stopped. Recently, I am contacted the digimarc and wanted to restore my account, guess what, the digimarc cannot located my previous account information. Digimarc said they will deleted your account immediately if you stop paying them, even permanently delete your all database. in another word, they ONLY care your money. I spoke to the Boss (Eliean ? european accent ) , he even balked you on the phone, said you are not their current customer, they cannot restore your previous account, because they eliminated my account permanently. You have to start over as a new customer. I have to embed new watermark again to past my photos. Finally, the Boss hang up me with some uneducated words.
    So, listen me, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME WITH THIS COMPANY.
    It is absolutely money sucker.

Tom