This is not a complaint

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited November 14, 2014 in Mind Your Own Business
I just thought I would pass along a recent experience I had.

I had talked with a potential client about providing product photography.

The products were high end antiques about 2.5" in diameter, about 1" high, metallic, many with intricate designs. There would be aprox 100 items. Each item would require 3 images, 1 front, 1 front with lid raised, 1 rear with back removed to expose internal mechanical parts.

He wanted the images to be on a white background without any shadows. He also needed to show all the fine details of these antiques. Also note he is very particular about his collection, and concerned about who knows what.

In my mind the job was closer to macro photography than standard product photography.

We had discussed a fee of $10 per image, and made an appointment to start the project. Please note he also wanted the copyright so the images can't be used by anyone else. (I did say that I would charge him an additional fee for the copyright.)

Fast forward and he checked on Craigslist. He has received quotes of $1.67 to $3.33 per image with one responder offering to shoot products at no charge for his portfolio.

Please note this is not a slam on the potential client.

Just a sign on the times.........................:cry

Sam

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 14, 2014
    Well, he may get what he decides to pay for...or he could lose the items he wants photographed.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?