Australian Odyssey: Southwest Australia

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited October 19, 2006 in Journeys
Our journey had brought us to Perth, but my dear cousin Zigrida and her husband, Dino, both retired, wanted to take us on a tour of some of Australia's most beautiful country, the Southwest.

Unfortunately, I neglected to caption these pictures when I uploaded them, so forgive me for not knowing place names. If you do, please leave a comment on that picture on my website. The URL is listed at the end of this post.

85030164-M.jpg

This is my new favorite portrait of my wife. Taken at a small cafe, womewhere in the vicinity of Bunburry.

102371079-M.jpg

These are old storage towers, grain perhaps? In any case, they are being converted to high-end condos. Pretty cool.

102371083-M-1.jpg

No end of beautiful beaches and crystal-clear blue water.

85030174-M.jpg

A pretty successful candid of Dino and Zig at a roadside eatery.

102371100-M.jpg

Thundering Indian Ocean surf.

85030201-M.jpg

This highly unlikely statue came jutting out of a small man-made lake fronting a winery. Go figure.

85030215-M.jpg

This little plant found a home in a rock, protected from the surf.

85030205-M.jpg

I can't remember the name, maybe Arches? A beautiful spot on the ocean where they had constructed these elaborate wooden walkways allowing you to walk safely far out onto the rocks to see the pounding surf and beautiful ocean views.

85030217-M.jpg

Native fauna.

85043313-M.jpg

No trip down south is complete without a stop at Margaret River and the Margaret River Chocolate Company.

85043314-M.jpg

Iz and Zig (two unlikely names, don't you think?) pinching a bit of the sample white chocolate.

85043322-M.jpg

A true Aussie Outback vehicle, complete with 'roo bar.

85043336-M.jpg

We toured a number of wineries each day, leading to frequent and prolonged naps.

85043340-M.jpg

Aussie Winery.

85043344-M.jpg

Aussie Winery.

85043347-M.jpg

Australia's floral emblem, the Wattle.

85043350-M.jpg

As Zig and Dino had a 4WD Nissan, we were able to traverse miles of forest like this.

85043351-M.jpg

85043353-M.jpg

85152780-M.jpg

It was our great fortune to meet my cousin Anne and her husband Graham Brockman who own a farm in Nannup. He's a member of the family for whom the highway and national park are named.

85152783-M.jpg

Zig, Dino, Iz, and I did a great deal of this in three days, trying to squeeze every last kilometer out of the 72 hours we had.

85152785-M-1.jpg

This is not a sheoak, but another Australian hardwood tree. Artists, with special permission, may remove these "burls" to make wooden bowls and other artifacts.

85152790-M-1.jpg

Not unlike California's Redwoods, the trees here dwarf viewers.

85152792-M-1.jpg

I like this shot of Dino.

85152798-M.jpg

Another structure that Australia seems wild about are these ubiquitous "tree-top walks," bridges constructed through the forests allowing you to walk along the tops of trees hundreds of feet above the ground.

85176963-M.jpg

No trip to Southwest Australia is complete without a stop at Dog Rock in Albany.

85176970-M.jpg

Southern Ocean surf; next stop: Antartica.

85176971-M.jpg

In and of itself, a wind farm isn't that interesting; what's interesting is that it's not fenced and you can walk right up underneath one of these beheamoths, twice the size of any I've seen in the U.S. The "woosh" generated by these blades is heart-stopping.

85176968-M.jpg

102371106-M.jpg

I can't remember for whom this beautiful little cove was named.

85176985-M.jpg

While in Albany, we stumbled across a relatively rare phenomenon: a pet albino kangaroo.

85176983-M.jpg

How'd you like to live here? I mean, seriously.

85176989-M-1.jpg

This is the only place we caught a glimpse of Australia's legendary road trains, diesel cabs pulling THREE trailers across Australia's interior. They were massive and scary. Don't know how they manage it. NOTHING like this in the states.

85176990-M.jpg

Australia has very little in the way of billboards or public advertisements, especially outside of the cities, but there are constant reminders to avoid driving while drinking and driving while tired. This was one of the most alarming of those reminders.

It might interest you to know that Australia has random roadside drunk driving checks (drink driving as they call it). They also have random roadside drug checks as well. Unlike in the U.S. where this is rare and the police briefly question you before determining whether or not to check you, in Aus these are very common and everyone, I mean everyone, in a selected group is pulled over and tested. Pretty strict there.

85176994-M-1.jpg

Speaking of "drink driving," here's more winery art.

Had a great time in Southwestern Australia and enjoyed all the sights. If you ever find yourself in Perth, this is a worthy diversion from your itinerary.

Thanks for reading. The rest of the pictures are here. C&C welcome.

Next and final stop: Brisbane!
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Great to follow your travels tom. thumb.gif Looking fwd to see what you get from brisbane...assuming this is 'live coverage' look out for me. Im usually hitting rubbish bins with a stick in the main mall screaming scripture quotes.

As im always on the bike on trips where the road trains hang out...i get completely off the road for them as the air turbulance gets pretty wild on a small vehicle/bike.
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Great to follow your travels tom. thumb.gif Looking fwd to see what you get from brisbane...assuming this is 'live coverage' look out for me. Im usually hitting rubbish bins with a stick in the main mall screaming scripture quotes.

rolleyes1.gif

Sadly, I'm firmly ensconced back in the States--the trip was this past June and July. Sorry we missed you. Hope to return one day before too long. Thanks for reading. And it sounds like you have a good handle on those road trains. Sheesh.

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Mickey57Mickey57 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Hi Tom
    Another beautiful post. You have some wonderful memories of your trip to Australia. Our exchange student is really enjoying them as well. She loved the albino Kangaroo. Has never seen one until our photos.

Thanks for sharing and keep them coming.

Dan
    Dan
    Mickey57
  • ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    The Southwest, looks as if you've saved the best for last. Did you get to Bridgetown at all, we have a small farm in desperate need of renovation just off the Brockman hwy on the way to Nannup
    100386629-S.jpg
    Have enjoyed following you across the country, if you ever get to WA again drop us a PM.
    Gus is right you give road trains all the room they need as the tail swings from side to side. I found out the hard way, Harleys handle OK off roadrolleyes1.gif
    Cheers, Ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    ed_h wrote:
    The Southwest, looks as if you've saved the best for last. Did you get to Bridgetown at all, we have a small farm in desperate need of renovation just off the Brockman hwy on the way to Nannup
    Cheers, Ed

Ed,

We did, indeed, travel straight through Bridgetown. Too bad I wasn't on this board before I left. Oodles of Aussies here. Do you know Anne and Graham I wonder? It seemed as though everyone in the area knew everyone else. In any case they're fine folks.

When I return I'll stop by your farm and slap on a coat of paint!

NEW Smugmug Site
  • UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    Fantastic pictures! I've always wanted to get over to Australia, every picture I've seen looks beautiful. Plus the kangaroos, arn't they like the coolest animal ever?! clap.gif
  • BodakBodak Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 19, 2006
    Glad you enjoyed your stay over here in Aus.

Your report makes me want to start a High Country Huts tour for photographers where you really get in and dirty with the spirit of Australia.
    No café's where I'd take you, just space, history, wild flowers (in season), rivers, and rugged mountain ranges.
    A place where the men and women of our early years set up the traditions of mateship and a fair go.
    Man I'm dreaming again, time for another trip back to where I call home, the bush.

Thanks again for your report.