#86 - Cathedral in Monotone

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
edited October 3, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
In my earlier thread about playing with monotones, several folks mentioned that they liked the shot of the cathedral except for the trees blocking part of it. I did have some other shots of the cathedral from that day and have now processed them as monotones. Any thoughts on these? I've been away at a family wedding so I'm only getting back to this now. Hope to spend a little more time refining the processing tomorrow after work.

Thanks,
Gretchen

1. Cathedral on the Hill
i-F45L7rR-L.jpg

i-XPfqt2M-L.jpg

[Edit: Removed 3]

4. The Cathedral (blue tones)
i-MM2Hcf9-L.jpg

5. The Cathedral
i-4vwnLWF-L.jpg

Comments

• kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I like #2.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif

thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I also like number 2. Number 4 would be interesting but like number 2 I would prefer to have the bush cropped out.

jim
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    Very nice Gretchen. I'm personally more drawn to the last two where there's separation between the trees and the cath.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited October 3, 2011
    Thank you all for your quick input on these! Last night's conversions (or should I say early morning?) were all done in LR3 - after tone mapping both shots a bit. I hope to post a few more that are converted or refined in photoshop.

Gretchen
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited October 3, 2011
    Conversions done in photoshop
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your quick input on these! Last night's conversions (or should I say early morning?) were all done in LR3 - after tone mapping both shots a bit. I hope to post a few more that are converted or refined in photoshop.

I did the bw conversions for this set in photoshop. Curious to know which tints and comps you find most appealing. I'm liking the ones which enhance the light on the west end of the cathedral and heighten the "drama" of the sky - whether they are warm or cool tints.

Any thoughts?

6. Cathedral on the Hill
    i-j8b8N3X-L.jpg

i-RQJrHXQ-L.jpg

i-QkJj6tV-L.jpg

i-5S4z9dh-L.jpg
  • powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    wowza! I'm really drawn to your original number 4...but like the sepia version also. Are these HDR ? (are those the right letters?)
    edited October 3, 2011
    What # is on the sepia version you are liking? [Looks like I deleted #4 from the other thread, so I'm not sure what this was....]

And yes, they are hdr. (Have been experimenting with photomatrix light with settings that generally give a more natural look.) I'm finding that the various conversion options have unique pros and cons as well.
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I really like the tones in both #8 & #9, but the cathedral seems a touch bright in both (to me - could be my monitor). Can't decide which crop I like better - I originally thought I liked it without the trees & bush on the right, but after looking at them for a while, I like that you can see more of the cathedral & also the balance the trees give in the wider shot.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
    edited October 3, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    I really like the tones in both #8 & #9, but the cathedral seems a touch bright in both (to me - could be my monitor). Can't decide which crop I like better - I originally thought I liked it without the trees & bush on the right, but after looking at them for a while, I like that you can see more of the cathedral & also the balance the trees give in the wider shot.

Thanks for your input on these, Lillian. I think you're right that the cathedral may be a bit too bright in some of these. I am also noting some mottling of the colored tints so I'm processing them another way (and will delete some of the others).
    edited October 3, 2011
    Last set of Cathedral monotones. Appreciate the input on my experiments!

Entered this first one:

10. Cathedral Lit by the Setting Sun
    i-6rTkh45-L.jpg

i-WHMhnWD-L.jpg

12. Cathedral on the Hill
    i-rQGqxB2-L.jpg

2b. Cathedral on the Hill (sepia version, take 2)
    i-bpcJfpV-L.jpg
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I like the one you entered. The texture is superb! And I like the landscape better than portrait. I feel closer to the subject.
    edited October 3, 2011
    Happy to have affirmation for the one I chose. Thanks!