Photshop Plugins with Windows 7 64 Bit YIKES!!

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited December 6, 2009 in Finishing School
Right now I use the Silver Efx Pro B&W conversion plugin in photoshopCS4 , installed w/ Windows XP.

I am upgrading my system to Windows 7 64 Bit. I heard that many PSP plugins will not work with a 64 Bit version of Photoshop CS4 So I'm thinking I will have to use the 32 Bit version of photoshop installed on Win 7 64 Bit.

Has anyone been able to make this work, or know if it can to have Silver Efx Pro plugin running in a 32 or 64 Bit version of Photoshop CS4 running on Windows 7 64 Bit??

If I can't get this plugin to work, its a severe setback. I contacted Nik support I got a very ambiguous answer that didn't tell me when the plugin would be 64 Bit compatible.
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    net1994 wrote:
    Right now I use the Silver Efx Pro B&W conversion plugin in photoshopCS4 , installed w/ Windows XP.

I am upgrading my system to Windows 7 64 Bit. I heard that many PSP plugins will not work with a 64 Bit version of Photoshop CS4 So I'm thinking I will have to use the 32 Bit version of photoshop installed on Win 7 64 Bit.

Has anyone been able to make this work, or know if it can to have Silver Efx Pro plugin running in a 32 or 64 Bit version of Photoshop CS4 running on Windows 7 64 Bit??

If I can't get this plugin to work, its a severe setback. I contacted Nik support I got a very ambiguous answer that didn't tell me when the plugin would be 64 Bit compatible.

When you install CS4 on a 64-bit system, the 32-bit version gets installed as well, so that the plug-ins which cannot work in the 64-bit version can still be used; albeit in the 32-bit version.

Anthony.
  • net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Anthony wrote:
    When you install CS4 on a 64-bit system, the 32-bit version gets installed as well, so that the plug-ins which cannot work in the 64-bit version can still be used; albeit in the 32-bit version.

Anthony.

I think if I use the 32 Bit ver of CS4, PSP will use up to 4GB for just that application. And I don't think there is any performance improvement using the 64Bit version of over the 32 Bit ver of Photoshop CS4
    Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    net1994 wrote:
    I think if I use the 32 Bit ver of CS4, PSP will use up to 4GB for just that application. And I don't think there is any performance improvement using the 64Bit version of over the 32 Bit ver of Photoshop CS4

Using the 32 bit version of CS4 will give you more memory on a 64 bit OS than on a 32 bit OS...because there is more available for the OS and PS CS4 can use more of the 4gb (actually slightly less) restriction of 32 bit.

Assuming you have more than 4gb of RAM installed.

Plugins will eventually be 64 bit...catch 22 I know...because you want the extra memory for the plugins.