Great character face

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited October 28, 2014 in People
Found this guy by accident on Facebook, as soon as I saw the face I said I've got to ask him in for a session. Captured some great shots so here are two for tonight. He likes the serious look but doesn't want to smile often.

i-Xs8qvCw-X2.jpg

i-KdjzwN2-X2.jpg

Comments

• alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2014
    Two I like a lot!
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2014
    Beautiful.. Face full of character and you caught it all.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2014
    The second one is pretty cool. Setup?
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2014
    I, too, love the second one and would like to know the setup...I'd like to try something similar. Both shots are so carefully constructed and show such character. Well done!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2014
    Thanks all.

The setup was a main on a 45 but not aimed directly at him but feathered to the front of him lighting him across instead of a direct blast. I used a silver reflector for fill, a kicker coming in behind him from the viewers right again feathered toward the camera and a bkg light. That is it.

I just had him sit in a chair backwards with him straddling the chair and hunkering down on the back with his arms.
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2014
    Thank you, Charles! I am going to try this some day. I like the way the pose and lighting shows off the beautiful character lines in his face and the definition in his forearms.
    edited October 28, 2014
    To show definition always bright the main light across the body and not into it esp from the front. Those character areas will be accentuated.
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2014
    Nice face, but did yu notice the banding in your background ? The reason not enough bits in the processing to cover the shades/darks...Did you use 8Bits ? Try next time 16 or 32 and when complete export as 8 bit RGB
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
    edited October 28, 2014
    These are pretty dumbed down for the web Stephan. Thanks, I don't really know the science of bits that well.