Options

SmugMug API v2.0: MD5 sum changes after upload

voleninvolenin Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
I believe this has been raised in the past, but search functionality on this forum sucks big time, so have to repost: is it really true that smugmug modifies the photos somehow during upload OR download? I'm testing out the app with v2.0 API and the checksums of local image and the same image downloaded from SmugMug (through AlbumImage.ArchivedUri) differ. At the same time, AlbumImage.ArchivedMD5 property is correct (the same sum as that of local image).

Does anyone know whether it's settings in my profile? (my hunch is it might be sort of watermarking embedded by smug at download time) Can it be turned off? Is it a 'feature' or a 'bug'?

Thanks,

Vlad

Comments

• Options
    ktvoelkerktvoelker Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2015
    Vlad,

That sounds like a bug. If you could send an email to api@smugmug.com with links to the specific photos which exhibit the problem, that would help us figure out what's going on.

Thanks!
    Karl Voelker
    Sorcerer and API Guy at SmugMug
  • Options
    olegosolegos Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2015
    In my experience, if EXIF indicates a photo needs to be rotated, then SM rotates it upon upload, and the "original" in SM is no longer that: download will give you a modified file (rotated, orientation tag in EXIF reset), and correspondingly the MD5 will be different (both of the downloaded file, and in SM image properties). Is this what you (volenin) are running into? I do wish SM were not doing this.

While I'm on this subject, I wonder if this rotation that SM does is via the jpeg lossless transformation algorithm.

UPDATE: previous threads about this:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=229507
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=205411

First one also answers my question: yes, the rotation is lossless (from the image data perspective).
  • Options
    barsanuphebarsanuphe Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 11, 2015
    I can confirm this happens with API 1.3. I've taken the habit of losslessy rotate all of my pictures before uploading (with jhead), and the md5s match.
  • Options
    fitter manfitter man Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 8, 2015
    ktvoelker wrote: »
    Vlad,

That sounds like a bug. If you could send an email to api@smugmug.com with links to the specific photos which exhibit the problem, that would help us figure out what's going on.

Thanks!

Any update on this?
  • Options
    gabbiegabbie Registered Users Posts: 66 Many Grins
    edited June 10, 2015
    fitter man wrote: »
    Any update on this?

Are you seeing problems with some of your own images? If so, can you send an email to api@smugmug.com with some of the links? We're still looking for more detailed information to help us track down what's going on.
    gabbie
    SmugMug Product Manager