Strobist set up thoughts for Cuban use.

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited January 23, 2012 in Accessories
My father is trying to help a friend in Cuba get set up with one or more flashes for use with a Nikon D100. I assume that primary use of the flashes would be portraiture work, but no way to be sure.

There are some constraints as far as passing customs go and once in Cuba availability of many things are limited.

My thoughts for a set up is:

3 x Vivitar 285 HV
3 x Ebay flash trigger (PT-04 or equivalent)
3 x cheap Ebay umbrella holder
handful of 1/4-20 scews for home made light stand
Self adhesive velcro for attaching DIY light modifiers
tarp holder bungees, bungee cords with a ball on it type of thing. Used to hold just about anything, flash or modifiers.

Above set up would pack compact for bringing with them to Cuba, use standard AA and AAA batteries (except for flash TX), would allow huge variations in flash set ups, be plenty powerful, and be relatively cheap to purchase. Since the cost of the whole thing is only slightly more than a Canon 430 EXII (I compare to Canon since I use Canon).

Any thoughts on the above suggested set up? Anything you would change etc???

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 21, 2012
    Sounds like my setup. I've also got two Canon flashes that I mix and match in manual mode with 2 Vivitar 285's. You can't beat the 285's for the price.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Are the users Cuban nationals? I have family there and I think even basic batteries, like AA and AAA are almost impossible to come by or afford. I would recommend rechargeables with a charger.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Sounds like my setup. I've also got two Canon flashes that I mix and match in manual mode with 2 Vivitar 285's. You can't beat the 285's for the price.

I agree. I also like hoe to power is similar to my Canon 430 EX. Makes it easier to use multiple flashes.

Thanks for the comment. I have been photographically inactive for a few months so I was hoping I was not missing anything new.
    edited January 21, 2012
    Are the users Cuban nationals? I have family there and I think even basic batteries, like AA and AAA are almost impossible to come by or afford. I would recommend rechargeables with a charger.

Yes they live in Cuba, people my parents kinda adopted as a second family when they make their annual visit.
    He works at the resort so I think he has access to a little more than otherwise. I know my parents are pretty well aware of what he has available though, as well as what they can get in through customs.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Make sure the holders are metal, they have plastic now and reports are they break easily
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
    edited January 23, 2012
    time2smile wrote: »
    Make sure the holders are metal, they have plastic now and reports are they break easily

I have had a pair of the 285 HVs for a couple years now. The plastic foot feels a little more flimsy than on my 430 EX but they have not been a problem.
    Also thinking about it, these flashes are likely to be used on flash as well and hopefully if something did happen the plastic flash foot would break first.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Sorry, i ment the 3 x cheap Ebay umbrella holder
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com