What type of lighting here?

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited September 26, 2014 in Technique
Hi,
I am sharing a very nice shot I have found on the internet
http://news247.gr/eidiseis/weekend-edition/article3032706.ece/BINARY/w660/ekso.jpg

I wanted to ask your opinion what you think is going on with the lights. It looks like that the women is being lit by a window and at the same time though her shadow is created from some other light source. Her shade looks much more stronger with the window shadow. Can this be just natural light coming from the window? I think not

Regards
A

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited September 25, 2014
    I think it actually is just natural window light. She is closer to her shadow (making the outlines more crisp) than the window framing which is farther away and might just also sport curtains or some other window treatment that is diffusing the light.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    It could also be electronic flash shot from a distance outside a window. I have seen Joe McNally shoot an electronic flash through a window with the flash ~20-25 feet from the window to get sharper shadow margin, in essence trying to re-create the appearance of sunlight

Or it could just be a skylight window with sunlight, but I sgree her shadow is pretty sharp, and dense.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    Hi
    it can be natural light and then post processed the womens shadow. My eyes though see the shadow of the woman as fake (or artificial). Does it really matters? Nop. I find the shot great.
    This was mostly the reason I started this post.
    When the artificial lighting start looking weird? I am spending my time when waiting for the bus looking at professional advertisements and I try to understand the lighting was used (by looking the shadows, their form, and their position). If someone try to look all the shadow all together can see that the model is not any more lit by natural light as they wanted to convey through the advertisement.
    'Although none cares... when the artificial light can cause our cognition to see it as "fake".

Regards and have fun
    Alex
  • stormyboystormyboy Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2014
    Not trying to cause problems, but seeking clarification. Are we allowed to post photos that are not ours? I always thought that a link was the preferred procedure?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited September 26, 2014
    Thanks for pointing out our dereliction, stormyboy!

I have converted the first post to just a link, not an image.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin