auto iso behaviour on Canon 600d?

Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
edited January 23, 2015 in Cameras
Hi guys!

Just a quick question, maybe some of you have experience in this:

Is it possible to adjust the behaviour of the Auto ISO function on the canon 600D?

e.g. normally when shooting in Av at 50mm, the auto ISO will try to keep shutter speeds at 1/60 minimum (even though ISO is still low, say 100-200), but since my lens does not have IS, this results in some blurry shots. It would love it if i could change this so it would choose something like x2 lens focal point shutter speed (at the cost of ISO) to increase the number of hits.

Cheers! :thumb

Chris
Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com

Comments

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2015
    Hi guys!

Just a quick question, maybe some of you have experience in this:

Is it possible to adjust the behaviour of the Auto ISO function on the canon 600D?

e.g. normally when shooting in Av at 50mm, the auto ISO will try to keep shutter speeds at 1/60 minimum (even though ISO is still low, say 100-200), but since my lens does not have IS, this results in some blurry shots. It would love it if i could change this so it would choose something like x2 lens focal point shutter speed (at the cost of ISO) to increase the number of hits.

Cheers! thumb.gif

Chris

I generally don't use auto ISO except when I'm in manual mode where I pick the shutter and aperture, say for shooting sports or action. Some models allow you to set a minimum shutter speed in the custom functions but I don't think that feature is in the 600D. Also the choice of metering affects the shutter speed (eval, center, spot, etc.)
    So I would say no, in Av model with your camera model you probably cannot also control the shutter speed along with auto iso
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2015
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    I generally don't use auto ISO except when I'm in manual mode where I pick the shutter and aperture, say for shooting sports or action. Some models allow you to set a minimum shutter speed in the custom functions but I don't think that feature is in the 600D. Also the choice of metering affects the shutter speed (eval, center, spot, etc.)
    So I would say no, in Av model with your camera model you probably cannot also control the shutter speed along with auto iso

Thanks for the reply Brett, i was guessing something like that.. rolleyes1.gif too bad, it would seem a fairly easy thing to implement for canon.
    edited January 19, 2015
    it would seem a fairly easy thing to implement for canon.

sure but they want you to upgrade for more features
    some features Canon left out of the lower end models are available with the free Magic Lantern software
    http://www.magiclantern.fm/
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2015
    :D Ha!

thanks for the link to the magic lantern, I heard about it earlier but I forgot it existed. I'll go have a stroll through there, maybe it's one of the features.

I also went ahead and got a walk around lens with IS, somewhat negating the problem haha rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 23, 2015
    :D Ha!

thanks for the link to the magic lantern, I heard about it earlier but I forgot it existed. I'll go have a stroll through there, maybe it's one of the features.

magic lantern isn't for everyone but it does indicate there are many features Canon (or any camera manufacturer) could have put in but left out for marketing reasons