Nikon D750 is being recalled

radhakradhak Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited January 31, 2015 in Cameras
I did not find the D750 listed at Amazon today, so googled, and found this :

The Nikon D750 is Disappearing From Stores Shelves. A Quiet Recall is Underway

I had not realized the flare issue was this serious.

Comments

• bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2015
    Interesting, it appears that for most folks the flare issue isn't a huge deal only under certain angles with the sun involved. That said, Nikon isn't helping themselves with issues like this and of course Dust Gate with the D600. Though not a major factor in my decision to go Fuji recently it was in the back of my mind.
  • Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2015
    What I find a bit annoying is that the D800 is a great camera but is basically impossible to get new now as it's been replaced by the much more expensive D810. I have one already so wouldn't be buying a new one but I find it a bit frustrating how the cheaper old models can be so hard to get a hold of and the new models are much more expensive.
    This is obviously the nature of the camera market and how the companies make their money but when new cameras are plagued by issues like this (and the D600 dust problem as mentioned), it's a shame the older models aren't more readily available. ne_nau.gif
  • Simo70Simo70 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    Bummer!!! I just got one and indded is one of those with the issue. Here is the link from the Nikon's website: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19336
    I just submitted the request, hopefully it won't take too long to get it fixed. Come on Nikon!!!!! After the D600 I was not expecting another fiasco!!!!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    What I find a bit annoying is that the D800 is a great camera but is basically impossible to get new now as it's been replaced by the much more expensive D810. I have one already so wouldn't be buying a new one but I find it a bit frustrating how the cheaper old models can be so hard to get a hold of and the new models are much more expensive.
    This is obviously the nature of the camera market and how the companies make their money but when new cameras are plagued by issues like this (and the D600 dust problem as mentioned), it's a shame the older models aren't more readily available. ne_nau.gif

That's what buying used is for! I got a D800e for $2300 about a year ago, and I bet I could find one for $500 less nowadays.

Used gear is nothing to be afraid of, there are oodles of lightly used, like-new cameras out there that are just ready to serve you well, maybe even still under warranty, and/or have at least been used enough to prove to the buyer that anything which could have gone wrong hasn't yet, so it probably won't for a few years. In other words, either way you come out ahead by quite a few hundred bucks.

And considering the D800e's comparison to the D810, I'd say it's a screaming deal, a very wise purchase unless you absolutele need the few new features the D810 offers. (And realistically, most just don't...)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    By the way, before labeling it a "fiasco", have a look at DPReview's piece on how this is actually not just a D750 thing, it happens on other cameras too: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9859982806/nikon-d750-flare-investigated-why-we-re-not-worried
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Simo70Simo70 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2015
    By the way, before labeling it a "fiasco", have a look at DPReview's piece on how this is actually not just a D750 thing, it happens on other cameras too: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9859982806/nikon-d750-flare-investigated-why-we-re-not-worried

Matthew - Thank you for the link, very informative on the issue. I haven't experience the flare issue on my camera but I can see front focusing with a couple of my lenses in particular the 80-200 f/2.8 at short distance when zommed at 200mm, and with the 50mm f/1.4. The focusing issue is apparently known with the AF 80-200 but it might be also impacted bu the position of the AF system in the camera. Anyway, as Nikon is willing to fix it, I will probably send it in for service.

Thank you again for the link.
    Simone.