D70s CHA error, what's the deal?

2»

Comments

• Jumanji99Jumanji99 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 2, 2013
    S'Nae the S'now......
    -I live in the same general area but usually find that while more extreme cold ( -10 to -20C) can certainly slow things down and may give the occasional 'no fire' or leave the shutter open too long,so long as you keep your camera inside your jacket and only take it out for a couple of minutes at a time even slightly freezing temperatures shouldn't severely limit photography....(.May be a little uncomfortable, but one needs to decide on priorities !)

(I have had more serious lack of function up in the Cairngorms or northern Norway....but then it's been below around -20C)

I got this error message for the first time when I maybe stupidly took my d80 out in the snow to get some pics of my kids. It just popped up with the CHA and I couldn't get rid of it. I took out sd card, and the battery, waited a couple of mins then popped them back in. Nothing changed. So I just put it to the side before I got myself worked up. Once we, and the camera had warmed up it seemed to work again. It happened again today though and it had not been out although it's still snowy outside the heating has been on full blast all day. So I started googling for answers and the long and short of it is this. The camera cannot read the card. The card may have the "lock" switch on, may need formatted or be corrupt. It may also be an issue with a weak battery or even connections within the card reader circutry. I kept finding links that told me to format my card in camera so I tried and it kept saying formatting then "done", but this didn't help. Eventually I put it back into the laptop card reader and the camera had not wiped the information at all so I formatted via the laptop and thankfully, when I put it back in the camera I got the proper display back and can now use again. phew! hope this helps someone.
  • LeadivChamLeadivCham Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 16, 2013
    My final solution
    This problem has been plaguing me for years. Tried all the suggestions including a card slot cleaner, formatting, etc. I did notice that occasionally jarring the camera would temporarily fix it (not a safe way to attempt a cure but it led me to a fix) My solution turns out to be cleaning the battery terminals with an eraser. Has worked fine now for the last few shoots.
  • BeauxArtBeauxArt Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 30, 2013
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone, this information about the "cha" error helped. I took my battery out, as well as my lexar cf card and the error went away.

I have another error in my adobe photoshop, if anyone's familiar with photoshop please email me. I can send a pic of the error Im receiving. basically, I cant paint, edit, crop or do anything due to some malfunction in my cursor. ne_nau.gif

ruth
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited August 31, 2013
    BeauxArt wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, this information about the "cha" error helped. I took my battery out, as well as my lexar cf card and the error went away.

I have another error in my adobe photoshop, if anyone's familiar with photoshop please email me. I can send a pic of the error Im receiving. basically, I cant paint, edit, crop or do anything due to some malfunction in my cursor. ne_nau.gif

ruth

It's great that you found the solution to your D70. clap.gif

We discuss software issues in the Photo Craft - Finishing School forum. Please re-ask your question there.

Best,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • willburwillbur Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2015
    hope this helps...
    hi all
    i see this thread hasn't been active in awhile...
    however, a piece of information in it has helped me finally solve a 2 year problem i've had with my d70s and error messages.
    someone suggested the problem could be to do with the card connection in the camera.
    i have 5 cards, one of which is new, and ALL of which have been giving error messages more and more frequently to the point that eventually not a single one of my cards would even be formatted by my camera let alone allow me to take photos!
    after reading that the problem could be due to card connection in the camera i began putting inward and sideways pressure on a card once it was in its slot and to my surprise the sideways pressure, i think more towards the left than the right although i might be wrong about that, has completely fixed the problem. i have finally, after not even using the camera for about 9 months, been able to format every card as well as take photos with them AND i'm not getting error messages anymore.
    how long this solution will prevail, i'm not sure, but i think i've isolated the cause of the problem and if the problem returns will have to look more closely at the connection issue...
    hope this helps those of you who are looking at buying new cameras due to this problem...
    good luck....
    Will
  • rael4lovrael4lov Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2015
    D70 'cha' error - i solved it by pushing tightly.
    D70 'CHA' ERROR - I SOLVED IT BY PUSHING TIGHTLY.

I have D70,
    and i have trouble with it by 'CHA' ERROR.
    FREQUENTLY, i was not able to use it by that error.
    today, i googled and found here dgrin.com

while reading this page,
    i realized, maybe it is the connection problem,
    so, i pushed it tightly again,
    and the 'CHA' error disappeared.
    And i decided not to disconnect CF memory from camera any more.
    instead, i will connect USB connection to download the Photo,
    i mean, the Nikon camera has poor connectivity with CF memory, and it is not stable.
    Because, everytime, i pushed it clearly, but 'CHA' occured.
    and now, i pushed it again hardly, and the 'CHA' error disappeared.
    it mean, it has very poor connectivity.
    so, while it is working, i will not disconnect the CF memory from Camera anymore.
    intead, i will use only USB line to download the photos.
    ////
    for that, i installed
    1. S-CCPRO_-022200WF-ALLIN-32BIT_.exe (Camera control) - that is not usable, it need buy.
    2. 'Capture NX-D 1.2.1' - successfully installed and usable.
    downloaded it from Nikon.
    -
    i am not sure, if it helped to recognize the Nikon D70 from PC,
    at first, i felt, i couldn't connect D70 thru USB,
    after installed above 2 program,
    now, i am able to connect the D70 CF card thru USB connection.

but i am not sure, if above 2 program helped it or not.
    My conclusion. (Summary)
    1. ReConnect CF memory by strongly pushing inside again, by this, my 'CHA' error disappeared.
    2. Use USB connection to Camera for downloading photos.
    3. after once the CF card is recognized by Camera, don't disconnect CF card from camera any more, because, the connectivity is poor, and 'CHA' error will be occured well.
    4. if your camera don't be connected with PC, install the program from Nikon download.
    1). S-CCPRO_-022200WF-ALLIN-32BIT_.exe (Camera control) - that is not usable, it need buy.
    2). 'Capture NX-D 1.2.1' - successfully installed and usable.
  • rael4lovrael4lov Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2015
    BeauxArt wrote: »

ruth

My Guessing :
    maybe it has main memory problem.
    the shortage of memory and the virtual disk (using HDD to extend RAM Memory) is not used.

Windows 7 (not clearly exact, coz, i use korean version, and will translate it to english here)
    Control Panel / System / High / High / virtual memory
    here, set some GB of memory in C: or SSD of your PC.

googling 'windows 7 virtual memory settings recommended'
    https://www.google.co.kr/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=windows%207%20virtual%20memory%20settings%20recommended

if the memory issue is cleared, the photoshop error will be disappeared, i guess.