Getting Back to Film

SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
edited May 18, 2015 in Cameras
I just purchased a Fuji GX 680III.

Now I just gotta figure out how to convert 120mm to digital.

G
My snaps can be found here:
Unsharp at any Speed

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2014
    North Coast Photo does a great job if you don't have a local solution.

http://www.northcoastphoto.com/film_developing_scans.html
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2014
    Thanks Jack. I'm sure there are places in Los Angeles that do custom scans. But I'm looking for an in-house solution. I have a Plustek for 35mm, now I need something for 120mm.

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited November 22, 2014
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    I just purchased a Fuji GX 680III. ...

Lovely camera!

Which lens(es) and back(s)?

I strongly recommend getting a flatbed scanner for yourself, capable of scanning medium format film. This allows you to proof and grade image frames firsthand. For final scan I suggest using a service which has wet (fluid mount), drum scanning. Some of principles involved are discussed on this page:

http://www.scanscience.com/

I can recommend Muench Photography for the fine-art scanning process.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 22, 2014
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Lovely camera!

Which lens(es) and back(s)?

I strongly recommend getting a flatbed scanner for yourself, capable of scanning medium format film. This allows you to proof and grade image frames firsthand. For final scan I suggest using a service which has wet (fluid mount), drum scanning. Some of principles involved are discussed on this page:

http://www.scanscience.com/

I can recommend Muench Photography for the fine-art scanning process.

I'm starting out with the 65mm. We'll see how it goes. I am getting the standard 120 roll back. I'm about to pick up another cassette/back so I can have both color and B&W easily available.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • wpbarrwpbarr Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2014

G

I have an Epson V550 and I use it for 35mm, 6x6 and 6x7. I scan at full non-interpolated resolution directly to jpeg. For B&W, I do my own processing and as soon as the negatives are dry, onto the flatbed they go.
    --
    Bill Barr
    6x7, 35mm, m4/3
    edited December 2, 2014
    An update:

IMG_0575-X3.jpg
    iPhone image

Still waiting for the backs.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited December 2, 2014
    Wonderful! clap.gif

Brings a tear for an age gone by. (... But the film stock you can still get is wowsers better than what we mostly used to use. Still miss Kodachrome.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 10, 2014
    My back was finally delivered. I battery-ied up the beast, (five batteries two different types), pulled the dark slip, hit the shutter release and ... Viola! It lives.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2014
    An update:

IMG_0575-X3.jpg
    iPhone image

Still waiting for the backs.

that's a big camera
    edited December 14, 2014
    About ten pounds worth of camera beast. I took her out yesterday for the first time. Shot two rolls of Tri-X. Now I've gots to buy some chemicals.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2014
    About ten pounds worth of camera beast. I took her out yesterday for the first time. Shot two rolls of Tri-X. Now I've gots to buy some chemicals.

heavy camera, film, developing
    hope the pics are worth it
  • gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2015

G

Get the negatives scanned at a good place. The ones you like they can scan again at higher resolution.
    The place should have an "industrial"-size scanner.

You can get negs scanned elsewhere than you area, look using Google and good search term.

I've got a Fuji GW690III, replaced a GW690 stolen in a tavern in NYC. You get awesome photos with Fuji Rangefinders, really great lens.

Whoops saw the 680 online, that's the big daddy isn't it. Have to get used to that one... looks to be beauty of a camera.

There's a Fuji section on Photo.net, under Medium Format Cameras, or just select FUJI on category after clicking "new post" (on the right of the page) under Medium Format Cameras.

You'll get a number of Fuji users, and they will know your camera well. Good place for questions.
    edited May 18, 2015
    gvf wrote: »
    Get the negatives scanned at a good place. The ones you like they can scan again at higher resolution.
    The place should have an "industrial"-size scanner.

You can get negs scanned elsewhere than you area, look using Google and good search term.

I've got a Fuji GW690III, replaced a GW690 stolen in a tavern in NYC. You get awesome photos with Fuji Rangefinders, really great lens.

Whoops saw the 680 online, that's the big daddy isn't it. Have to get used to that one... looks to be beauty of a camera.

There's a Fuji section on Photo.net, under Medium Format Cameras, or just select FUJI on category after clicking "new post" (on the right of the page) under Medium Format Cameras.

You'll get a number of Fuji users, and they will know your camera well. Good place for questions.

Thanks, I appreciate all the info.
    Unsharp at any Speed