China

ronphotoronphoto Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited August 18, 2006 in Journeys
Hi. This is my first post in any photographer's forum. I'm testing this site during my 2 week trial period. So far it seems wonderful.
I just returned from 2 weeks in China. I enjoyed the trip very much, even though the manner of travel does not go well with my style of photography. I had the pleasure of traveling with my 2 parents and other family members, 8 in total; however because of this I mostly photographed China as part of a tour in a group format. I much rather explore on my own which I was able to do very little of. Anyway, I'd like to post 10 images of out a group of 200 edited shots.
86755891-M.jpg

This image was taken during heavy rain in Shanghai while I was searching for my father's residence when he lived there from 1939 to 1949. This district is called Hongkoo and more than 20,000 refugees escaped their home countries to flee here during World War II. Later we found out my Dad's apartment was in the building next door which was already replaced with a modern sky rise apartment building. The gentleman in this photo knew nothing about why I appeared in his courtyard and yet greeted me with this warm smile of welcome stranger. I wonder where he will move too as his living space must be next on the list to be torn down.

86757084-M.jpg

We traveled by van to a town called Zhujiajiao which is near Suzhou just a couple of hours drive from Shanghai. This town wasn't as peaceful as it looks, for we were relentlessly propositioned by many locals trying to sell us everything. After a while we had to leave as it became too much to deal with. I wish I could have been there at dusk, not only would the temperature have been more pleasant, but the photography would have certainly glowed at that hour.
86757352-M.jpg
This little girl in Zhujiajiao loved seeing this image from the back of my digital camera. She went and found her mother so she could see it too. Moments like that are what I love the most, they were a sweet family
86757322-M.jpg
There are some charming little streets one can walk down in Zhujiajiao, and become familiar with all the store vendors calling out for you to buy. I stepped aside for this driver to pass prepared to take his photo. Out of a quick burst of 4 shots, I liked this one the best. How nice of the driver to welcome the camera so eloquently.

These are residents from the city of Nanjing. They have gone through some terrible tragedies and yet the people are very resilient. Out of all the places I visited in 2 weeks I liked the people of Nanjing the most. They were so warm and pleasant.
86758145-M.jpg

86758298-M.jpg

86758536-M.jpg

This is the view from Yellow Mountain. I understand it is often wet and low visibility there. Don't worry if that is the case, as it is just wonderful in any weather.
In the event it is too wet to photograph up on Yellow Mountain, the road leading to it will present lots of picture opportunities as well.
86758402-M.jpg

86759227-M.jpg

We did a river cruise up the Yangtze River. Here we are entering the first of the 3 Gorges near WuShan.

86760319-M.jpg

Instead of going shopping with everyone in Chongqing, I ventured out into an intimate maze of alleys. I was able to take my most favorite type of images here. I was interested in simple slices of life. This was so much fun.
This concludes my first post. I am not known for my writing ability, I hope I haven’t bored you...
Good travels to you.
Ron

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Hi Ron, welcome to Dgrin!

That's a great first shot. I went to China in 1999, and know that it's definitely hard to get away from your tour group.

Trash/smog/pollution/etc... is definitely a very big problem there. This shot really shows something the average tourist doesn't dwell on, or conveniently overlooks. The man in the doorway really adds interest.

Did you cruise the Yangtze? I'd be really interested in seeing how that has changed. We specifically went there before they started filling up the gorges.

10 images? Let 'em rip! Since you're in "Journeys" make sure you add a nice travelogue!
    Chris
  • ronphotoronphoto Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Thanks Chris! I am still figuring out how this works. Hopefully all 10 images and the small commentary is showing...

ChrisJ wrote:
    Hi Ron, welcome to Dgrin!

That's a great first shot. I went to China in 1999, and know that it's definitely hard to get away from your tour group.

Trash/smog/pollution/etc... is definitely a very big problem there. This shot really shows something the average tourist doesn't dwell on, or conveniently overlooks. The man in the doorway really adds interest.

Did you cruise the Yangtze? I'd be really interested in seeing how that has changed. We specifically went there before they started filling up the gorges.

10 images? Let 'em rip! Since you're in "Journeys" make sure you add a nice travelogue!
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Hi Ron. I agree about the people from Nanjing - I have the same experience - they are very generous people - especially the younger folks (well, younger relative to my age...)

Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
    edited August 8, 2006
    Thanks Mike!
    Here are some pictures of some young people in Nanjing. They could not understand a word I was saying, and yet agreed to let me take their photos.

86758078-M.jpg
    86758093-M.jpg

86758113-M.jpg
    86758277-M.jpg
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Hi Ron. I agree about the people from Nanjing - I have the same experience - they are very generous people - especially the younger folks (well, younger relative to my age...)

Mike
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 8, 2006
    Welcome to dgrin Ron.

You have a lovely series of images of street scenes and people and landscapes of China. I hope you hang around and continue to add more images here of your trip to China.

We have had several posters display images of China here over the last few years and they have all been of great interest to our viewers.

Your images are very nicely done.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Fusion_UKFusion_UK Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    Excellent
    Ron
    Excellent pictures and interesting comments. I to like to get away and do my own thing. Went to Vietnam last year to visit with the wifes relatives, it was very difficult to get away on my own they always wanted somebody to accompany me 'for safety' as they were worried about me being robbed or molested in some way. Much easier to get away on my own in Cambodia. Ian thumb.gif

dayout-046.jpg

dayout-034.jpg
    Ian :photo
    ALL COMMENTS / CRITS GRATEFULLY RECEIVED
    http://www.pbase.com/kissfoto
    http://fusion.zenfolio.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/imiller/

Use Canon EOS 1Ds Mk1,10D, Nikon D100, plus Nikon F and F2. Sigma 10-20EX DG HSM, Sigma 15-30 EX DG, Sigma 75-300 APO DG...:barb
    edited August 9, 2006
    Wonderful shots Ian.
    It is true sometimes our equipment makes us more of a target than usual.
    It is a good feeling when our relatives want to make sure we are safe. I have experienced several close calls, but those were mostly at home in North America, where fortunately I feel better equipped to recognize trouble.
    Ron
    Fusion_UK wrote:
    Ron
    Excellent pictures and interesting comments. I to like to get away and do my own thing. Went to Vietnam last year to visit with the wifes relatives, it was very difficult to get away on my own they always wanted somebody to accompany me 'for safety' as they were worried about me being robbed or molested in some way. Much easier to get away on my own in Cambodia. Ian thumb.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    Ron, welcome and great stuff!

Here are my personal favorites.

86760319-Th.jpg

86757322-Th.jpg

86759227-Th.jpg

I look forward to seeing more!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    I really enjoyed your images and your story. We're planning to go to China later this year. It won't be a photography trip, but I still hope to smuggle in some photo opportunities, since your images proof that might be worthwhile.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Fusion_UKFusion_UK Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    ronphoto wrote:
    Wonderful shots Ian.
    It is true sometimes our equipment makes us more of a target than usual.
    It is a good feeling when our relatives want to make sure we are safe. I have experienced several close calls, but those were mostly at home in North America, where fortunately I feel better equipped to recognize trouble.
    Ron
    Fusion_UK wrote:
    Ron

Yes I suppose you are dead on that in our own environment we can spot the dangers where we may not in a strange place. Keep up the good work you have made some excellent images. Ian thumb.gif
    Ian :photo
    ALL COMMENTS / CRITS GRATEFULLY RECEIVED
    http://www.pbase.com/kissfoto
    http://fusion.zenfolio.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/imiller/

Use Canon EOS 1Ds Mk1,10D, Nikon D100, plus Nikon F and F2. Sigma 10-20EX DG HSM, Sigma 15-30 EX DG, Sigma 75-300 APO DG...:barb
    edited August 9, 2006
    Thank you wxwax! I will love to post more. Your photography is most beautiful by the way. I liked your sports stuff too. (I have some old baseball images I took in the 1980's and 1990's I might add to my own new gallery on smugmug)
    wxwax wrote:
    Ron, welcome and great stuff!

Here are my personal favorites.

I look forward to seeing more!
    edited August 9, 2006
    Marlof I've seen your photos and they are beautiful! Please bring back images to share. Your galleries are very impressive!
    Ron
    marlof wrote:
    I really enjoyed your images and your story. We're planning to go to China later this year. It won't be a photography trip, but I still hope to smuggle in some photo opportunities, since your images proof that might be worthwhile.
  • germaine_sbagermaine_sba Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Beautiful pictures with an interesting commentary. More, plese. clap.gif
    Lord, keep my words sweet. Someday, I may have to eat them.
    http://www.germaine.smugmug.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Our neighbour is beautiful as its people great photos thanks for sharing ! i will surly go to China through Pakistani Bordar a place worth visiting eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited August 10, 2006
    Thank you Germaine!
    I'm looking forward to posting more. I'm wondering if I just add it to this thread, or if I should start a new one?
    Beautiful pictures with an interesting commentary. More, plese. clap.gif
    edited August 10, 2006
    Thank you Awais!
    The more I begin to travel to other countries, the more I am amazed by their culture and hospitality. What an education it becomes. You live in a fascinating part of the world, I know Pakistan has to be one of the most beautiful countriy on earth!
    One of the reasons I'm beginning to love smugmug is because of the level of photography here. All of you are excellent photographers, I'm going to learn a lot here...
    Ron
    Our neighbour is beautiful as its people great photos thanks for sharing ! i will surly go to China through Pakistani Bordar a place worth visiting eek7.gif
  • SpagbagSpagbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    ronphoto wrote:

86757352-M.jpg

I love this shot. So cute. thumb.gif
  • HyperMKIVHyperMKIV Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 14, 2006
    i am brand new to this forum...i found this forum through a forum i'm a part of...

i saw your post and i joined so i could reply to you post. i'm working in wuxi china right now but i stay in suzhou...when i saw your pictures, i just had to chime in. do you have any more??? some of your pictures gives me inspiration to go out and take more pictures!!!

just want to say good job and hopefully we can see more of your work!!!

i took this picture of the hotel i'm staying at right now...
    IMG_3352-vi.jpg

and a couple pictures i took yesterday in suzhou:
    IMG_3326-vi.jpg

IMG_3328-vi.jpg
  • mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Very interesting pictures.thumb.gif