My trip to Southeast Asia - 2008/2009 - Part 2 (LARGE post)

JimbojackJimbojack Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited March 25, 2009 in Journeys
Here is the second part of my S.E. Asia trip. The first part can be found here

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=120927

Myanmar (Burma)

Stack of our 1000 Kyat notes laying on a hotel blanket. Officially valued at a little over $2, the biggest bank note in Myanmar is worth less then $0.90 on the black market. In the past, the Myanmar government declared all bigger bank notes invalid (to "punish" the rich). People that had them found they were worth nothing overnight. Imagine the U.S. or E.U. declaring all bills/coins worth more then 1 dollar/euro invalid one morning when you wake up....

Myanmar_001.jpg

Sule Paya, Yangon. 2000 year old (supposedly) temple housing a piece of Buddha's hair.

Myanmar_002.jpg

Local market, in front of a Telugu (South India) Methodist Church, Yangon

Myanmar_005.jpg

Shwedagon Paya, a 2,500 year old (according to legend) temple in Yangon. This is the biggest and most holy temple in the city.

Myanmar_007.jpg

Myanmar_009.jpg

Myanmar_010.jpg

Myanmar_011.jpg

Myanmar_012.jpg

Myanmar_014.jpg

Myanmar_017.jpg

Government propaganda, Mandalay.

Myanmar_022.jpg

Mandalay Palace, rebuilt (very badly) with the use of prison and forced labor in the late 1990's.

Myanmar_023.jpg

Sandamani Paya, Mandalay. Built as a memorial to prince Kananung on the spot where he was assassinated in 1886.

Myanmar_025.jpg

Mandalay Hill

Myanmar_026.jpg

Buddha statues for sale, Mahamuni Paya, Mandalay

Myanmar_030.jpg

Local Buddha statues workshops, near the Mahamuni Paya, Mandalay. The marble statues are all hand carved, polished and painted here, then sold to temples, monasteries and local people (as well as some tourists).

Myanmar_031.jpg

Myanmar_033.jpg

Small temple at the top of Sagaing hill, Sagaing.

Myanmar_035.jpg

Woman planting rice, Inva (Awa).

Myanmar_043.jpg

Young monk studying at a school housed in the Bagaya Kung monastery, Inva (Awa).

Myanmar_044.jpg

Small shrines with Buddha statues, Inva (Awa).

Myanmar_046.jpg

Myanmar_045.jpg

Painted ceilings in the Kyauktawgyi Paya, Amarapura

Myanmar_049.jpg

Myanmar_048.jpg

The famous U Bein bridge, Amarapura. The 1.2 kilometer bridge over lake Taungthaman lake is made completely out of Teak (with some concrete reinforcements in parts where the wood decayed). It was built in 1849 and contains 1,060 teak posts. Since this was the dry season, there is very little water in these pictures. During the wet season, the lake sometimes covers the footpath of the bridge.

Myanmar_051.jpg

Myanmar_052.jpg

Myanmar_053.jpg

Sunset

Myanmar_054.jpg

The most famous archeological site in Myanmar, Bagan consists of a 42 square kilometer plain housing over 3,000 temples. Originally over 4,400 temples were built from the early to the late period, in the years of 850-1300. During the high period, the Bagari kings built an estimated 20 temples a year, for over 230 years. Eventually I will describe the photos in a lot more details, giving the names of individual temples, etc.

Myanmar_058.jpg

Myanmar_059.jpg

Myanmar_062.jpg

Myanmar_063.jpg

Myanmar_065.jpg

Myanmar_066.jpg

Myanmar_070.jpg

Myanmar_071.jpg

Myanmar_072.jpg

Initiation ceremony, these young kids are dressed up as little princes right before they are to become monks. Most kids ride on horse carts, if the parents can afford it they hire an elephant.

Myanmar_075.jpg

Myanmar_078.jpg

More temples in Bagan

Myanmar_080.jpg

Myanmar_083.jpg

Myanmar_084.jpg

Myanmar_086.jpg

Myanmar_087.jpg

Myanmar_090.jpg

Myanmar_092.jpg

This is our 2008/2009 New Years Celebration. Along with some other travelers that we met, we hired 2 horse carts to take us to the temple area before midnight. After gaining permission from the local temple guardians, we climbed to the top of this small temple, put up candles around the edges of a small terrace and toasted in the New Year with some local wine. It was the most memorable New Year I've had in a long time.

Myanmar_096.jpg

These photos are from a 3 day, 67 kilometer trek that Aggie and I went on between the city of Kalaw and Inle Lake. I will post a seperate series from the trek soon, here are a couple of photos to get you interested :wink:

Myanmar_Trek_007.jpg

Myanmar_Trek_009.jpg

Myanmar_Trek_011.jpg

Myanmar_Trek_018.jpg

Myanmar_Trek_024.jpg

Myanmar_Trek_035.jpg

Myanmar_Trek_038.jpg

Myanmar_Trek_060.jpg

Part 3 coming soon!
Phillip

Just back from Europe, Eastern Turkey, Iraq and Iran, new photos coming soon!
Over 100 Countries, thousands of pictures, one Website (being redesigned at the moment)
www.Jimbojack.com

Comments

• CraftyChristieCraftyChristie Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2009
    So colorful, rich, and lively. Am really enjoying your series of photos here. Will be back to view more later. You should be working for National Geographic!
  • skamarajuskamaraju Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Lovely series
    Beautiful color. Thanks for sharing.
    Sushil
    "The knower of the Self crosses over all sorrow"
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Myanmar_083.jpg

This one is my favorite. Did you get any pcs of U bein's Bridge at Sunset?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    another wonderfull set!

Some of the photos are just incredible (old man at the beginning of the post)

bowdown.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Amazing trip ! Man thanks for sharing with us
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • lenseyelenseye Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 23, 2009
    Well done
    Thanks for sharing interesting and colourful images.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Looks like a nice trip.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Myanmar_083.jpg

This one is my favorite.
    Mine too! thumb.gif Great images.