Options

Hidden "Hide Photo" Keyboard Shortcut

darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
edited May 18, 2015 in SmugMug Support
I was hiding some photos in one of my galleries just now and thought to myself, "Man, how cool would it be if they put in a keyboard shortcut so that I could hit 'h' and it would hide the photo I'm currently viewing (in SmugMug style)."

So I tried it. And it worked!!!

Holy *!@&(!! Keyboard shortcuts for left- and right-arrow + being able to hide with a single key? Oh man, I'm soooooo happy.

Thanks thanks thanks. But please, document these features! They shouldn't be easter eggs!

Comments

• Options
    pavepave Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    How to disable it?
    Here's an opposite point of view: :)

I use ctrl+alt+{HJKL} to switch between virtual desktops and recently I found out that often when I switch to a desktop with smugmug in a browser and release the ctrl+alt+h combination, smugmug receives the 'h' keystroke and marks the current photo as hidden. That usually goes unnoticed. :(

I have probably hidden quite a few photos this way so far, but I heard there is an option to be released that will allow me to sort them out and unhide them. However, I would like to avoid such accidents in the future and just disable the "hide photo" shortcut. Any pointers how I can do it?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Darryl: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/SmugMug+Keyboard+Shortcuts

We'll get this page filled out :D

Pave: I don't think there's a way, other than locally on your own machine/os.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2009
    pave wrote:
    Here's an opposite point of view: :)

I use ctrl+alt+{HJKL} to switch between virtual desktops and recently I found out that often when I switch to a desktop with smugmug in a browser and release the ctrl+alt+h combination, smreceives the 'h' keystroke and marks the current photo as hidden. That usually goes unnoticed. :(

I have probably hidden quite a few photos this way so far, but I heard there is an option to be released that will allow me to sort them out and unhide them. However, I would like to avoid such accidents in the future and just disable the "hide photo" shortcut. Any pointers how I can do it?

Ugh, that's a minority problem, to be sure.

Seriously, nobody uses virtual desktops except Sun Workstation users or people who used to use Sun Workstations. :-P

You should remap your hotkeys. :-}
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Nice empty page. I've added a comment with the shortcuts I know about.

Hook me up with a Confluence account and I can document it directly. :-}
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    Nice empty page. I've added a comment with the shortcuts I know about.

Hook me up with a Confluence account and I can document it directly. :-}
    Thanks Darryl, page updated thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Just discovered this! Improved my workflow on this step by 200%! clap.gifthumb.gifwings.gifbowdown.gif :ivar iloveyou.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    any way to make a shortcut to delete photos? :D
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    any way to make a shortcut to delete photos? :D
    I used to take the time to delete, but when you can just hide it, why not just do that instead? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    I used to take the time to delete, but when you can just hide it, why not just do that instead? headscratch.gif

because, i'm already using ~150gb of space with something like ~48,000 photos... it's time for some spring cleaning.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2009
    That's all? rolleyes1.gif I think I've uploaded something like 177k and about 230gb. eek7.gif

I used to delete before the hide feature was there, but having all the files there can be very handy when somone wants to see an image you threw away, or hid. It's also handy when you accidently deleted one you wanted to keep in the gallery. :cry Now you just un-hide.

The hide feature, and its keyboard shortcut, has cut my gallery review time in half. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    That's all? rolleyes1.gif I think I've uploaded something like 177k and about 230gb. eek7.gif

I used to delete before the hide feature was there, but having all the files there can be very handy when somone wants to see an image you threw away, or hid. It's also handy when you accidently deleted one you wanted to keep in the gallery. :cry Now you just un-hide.

The hide feature, and its keyboard shortcut, has cut my gallery review time in half. clap.gif

but i want DELETE...not HIDE. DELETE. DEE EE EL EE TEE EE.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    If you want to delete them, there is a mass delete feature which is even better than the keyboard shortcut for hiding photos. You can just select each photo to delete just like for rotate, and then they're gone. I kinda wish they had such a tool for the hide feature.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    Yal and if I hit your delete key shortcut when searching for something in the
    page that just happens to be the same letter photos are deleted, not very
    safe.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    If you want to delete them, there is a mass delete feature which is even better than the keyboard shortcut for hiding photos. You can just select each photo to delete just like for rotate, and then they're gone. I kinda wish they had such a tool for the hide feature.

i know. but they're all LITTLE thumbs...

c'mon, fellas...you being photogs should know this... don't you ever double-tap things? like when taking portraits... "3, 2, 1 - click - click!" what if someone blinks right when you take the shot? one pic will be golden and the other one will be blinking... that's just a small example...

rather than battle me on this; explaining every reason why there's NOT a delete hotkey, why don't you just accept the fact that a delete hotkey would make my workflow TREMENDOUSLY smoother and faster...and perhaps many other people as well... and that i would simply like to have a delete hotkey.

PS - allen, "are you sure you want to delete this photo?" mwink.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    PS - allen, "are you sure you want to delete this photo?" mwink.gif
    rolleyes1.gif Yal but that's another click. :D

I guess I don't just upload/dump all my photos up. I go though raw conv and
    and open tif to edit then upload jpg. Haven't seen a photo yet that doesn't
    need something done to it. And taking 5-10 shots of one bird requires a lot
    culling. Those machinegunners would understand this.:D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif Yal but that's another click. :D

I guess I don't just upload/dump all my photos up. I go though raw conv and
    and open tif to edit then upload jpg. Haven't seen a photo yet that doesn't
    need something done to it. And taking 5-10 shots of one bird requires a lot
    culling. Those machinegunners would understand this.:D

i USED to dump all my photos... and that's my point when i posted originally: spring cleaning.

anymore, i'm HIGHLY selective of what gets dumped.

FWIW, i'm a photog for a living shooting motorbikes...i shoot those all in jpeg and don't do ANYTHING to em. :D
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    i know. but they're all LITTLE thumbs...
    I agree. The little hover enlargement thing helps a bit, but I still was viewing every image on a fullscreen slideshow, noting down file numbers, and then going back and deleting.
    com3 wrote:
    c'mon, fellas...you being photogs should know this... don't you ever double-tap things? like when taking portraits... "3, 2, 1 - click - click!" what if someone blinks right when you take the shot? one pic will be golden and the other one will be blinking... that's just a small example...
    Agreed. This does happen.
    com3 wrote:
    rather than battle me on this; explaining every reason why there's NOT a delete hotkey, why don't you just accept the fact that a delete hotkey would make my workflow TREMENDOUSLY smoother and faster...and perhaps many other people as well... and that i would simply like to have a delete hotkey.
    The problem is that the hide hotkey has the same effect. Unless you can convince SM developers that they will save a ton of storage space with an 'immediate-no-prompting' delete key, I don't see it happenning.

I actually shoot a lot in a similar genre to yours. I understand what you go through when you have 5 bursts shots of the same rider hoping to get the shot you envisioned, and then having to delete the rest. I also don't do any post.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    I agree. The little hover enlargement thing helps a bit, but I still was viewing every image on a fullscreen slideshow, noting down file numbers, and then going back and deleting.

Agreed. This does happen.

The problem is that the hide hotkey has the same effect. Unless you can convince SM developers that they will save a ton of storage space with an 'immediate-no-prompting' delete key, I don't see it happenning.

I actually shoot a lot in a similar genre to yours. I understand what you go through when you have 5 bursts shots of the same rider hoping to get the shot you envisioned, and then having to delete the rest. I also don't do any post.
    If I ran such a service as Smugmug, I would never implement a no-prompt, delete shortcut key because the likelihood of accidental deletions and the consequences of that is way more of an issue than the few folks that would miss it.

That said, I understand the need for an efficient delete workflow, but fortunately there are other ways to solve that problem that don't have the potential problems that the shortcut key for delete does. I like the way Lightroom works with it's Mark for Delete. Smugmug could implement a "Mark for Deletion" shortcut key. Then, when you're done processing the deletes, you would execute a function to "Delete images marked for delection". This would not have a shortcut keystroke, would show you a list of thumbs that were about to be deleted and would require confirmation. You could whiz through the gallery deleting images as fast as you want, then do one prompt at the end to confirm you want to get rid of all of them. That is how I do it in Lightroom.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Smugmug could implement a "Mark for Deletion" shortcut key. Then, when you're done processing the deletes, you would execute a function to "Delete images marked for delection". This would not have a shortcut keystroke, would show you a list of thumbs that were about to be deleted and would require confirmation. You could whiz through the gallery deleting images as fast as you want, then do one prompt at the end to confirm you want to get rid of all of them. That is how I do it in Lightroom.
    I think this is an awesome solution. In fact, I see multiple uses for a 'marking' feature in SM. Once you are done marking a series of files, you can select a particular action on those files--rotate, delete, watermark, hide, etc.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    I think this is an awesome solution. In fact, I see multiple uses for a 'marking' feature in SM. Once you are done marking a series of files, you can select a particular action on those files--rotate, delete, watermark, hide, etc.
    Even better!
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    ...an 'immediate-no-prompting' delete key,...

i never said "no prompt" ... please, by all means, prompt me. :)
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    If I ran such a service as Smugmug, I would never implement a no-prompt, delete shortcut key because the likelihood of accidental deletions and the consequences of that is way more of an issue than the few folks that would miss it.

That said, I understand the need for an efficient delete workflow, but fortunately there are other ways to solve that problem that don't have the potential problems that the shortcut key for delete does. I like the way Lightroom works with it's Mark for Delete. Smugmug could implement a "Mark for Deletion" shortcut key. Then, when you're done processing the deletes, you would execute a function to "Delete images marked for delection". This would not have a shortcut keystroke, would show you a list of thumbs that were about to be deleted and would require confirmation. You could whiz through the gallery deleting images as fast as you want, then do one prompt at the end to confirm you want to get rid of all of them. That is how I do it in Lightroom.

holy smart! GREAT idea! thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gifclap.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    i never said "no prompt" ... please, by all means, prompt me. :)
    If you just want a keyboard shortcut for the existing Delete function in the Tools menu, that could be added in a customization with a small amount of javascript.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    holy smart! GREAT idea! thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gifclap.gifbowdown.gif
    Awesome! Now we just need someone to code it. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Awesome! Now we just need someone to code it. clap.gif

my coding days are OVER as of 2001. i code/maintain my own website these days, but if anyone asks me to build them stuff, i tell em MINIMUM 2 grand. haha! that usually dissuades them, which is what i prefer anyhow.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    my coding days are OVER as of 2001. i code/maintain my own website these days, but if anyone asks me to build them stuff, i tell em MINIMUM 2 grand. haha! that usually dissuades them, which is what i prefer anyhow.
    And this would need to come from SM. But it would be interesting what can be done with javascript. This would probably do what you want. jfriend?
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    And this would need to come from SM. But it would be interesting what can be done with javascript. This would probably do what you want. jfriend?
    I'm looking at it. No promises though. Keyboard events are a nightmare across different browsers.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm looking at it. No promises though. Keyboard events are a nightmare across different browsers.

just make it work in the only browser that actually matters: FF
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Just checked out 4theriders.com. Seems like some awesome fun work. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Just checked out 4theriders.com. Seems like some awesome fun work. thumb.gif

yeah, it's a blast. i don't know how i ever did the 9-5 gigs. haha!