Options

Lightroom Plugin, Video, Upload, Process

FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
edited May 25, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Can someone help me understand the process (and processing) of videos, and in particular whether a size aspect is really having the impact I think.

I had an old sVHS video I converted to an MP4 file. The MP4 file on disk was 65.7 meg, and was fairly compressed by limiting the bandwidth on render (the original DVD file was 570 meg).

I tried exporting it to disk with the same settings that (apparently) the plugin uses, namely "max" for H.264. The resulting file on disk was a whopping 390 meg.

I used the LR Plugin to publish it, and it worked (my other problems in other threads may be related to longer videos). The resulting size according to Smugmug was 42K (yes K). My GUESS is that the smugmug interface for info is reporting the size of the featured image not the video.

So I downloaded the image (what would normally be the original but I know SM doesn't save those) and it was a modest 39.5 meg, significantly smaller than mine, and converted from 704x480 (PAR=10:11) to 640x480 (PAR=1:1). So it's been compressed a bit more than it originally was on net, plus resized (and frankly the PAR of 1:1 is a good idea for streaming, I think).

I republished this with "original" instead of "max".

When doing the upload with MAX, the upload time (from the log) was 147 seconds, with original it was 36 seconds, so not quite the same proportion (about 10:1 vs 4:1).

That's what I observed, here are my questions:

- Is the export-to-disk the actual amount of space being transmitted? That seems like a lot of wasted bandwidth and render time for both of us. I think (based on a prior note from David) this is a Adobe issue not the plugin? So should one simply always send "original" except for when you really want huge resolution reduction?

- Is there a way, without downloading, to see the size-on-disk as stored at Smugmug?

- Is the actual rendering criteria SM uses when it processes documented somewhere, e.g. is it bit rate limited, do they change frame rates, etc. Note I'm not asking to change it, but to understand it. (I can see this file (I see it went from about 1mbps to 500kbps for example) but I suspect there are more general rules). A brief search mostly turned up "process" without details.

Comments

• Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2015
    Just to finish off the example while I'm doing it, when I uploaded the original instead of letting LR resize, the resulting size of the SM result was a bit larger (41.1M vs 39.M), same resolution, slightly higher bit rate.