Options

Find ALL duplicates in ALL folders

mykelmykel Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited May 25, 2015 in SmugMug Support
I have been very lazy in organizing my files over the last few years and need to be sure that I optimize my space. Is there a way to search across folders to locates duplicate images? i.e. when I pull images off my cell phone I have just thrown them into a folder, now I do not know if I have uploaded them already or not - can I figure that out easily?

Comments

• Options
    The MechanicThe Mechanic Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2013
    Hi Mykel,

I am sorry, but there is no way to really search out duplicates across your site. You can turn on Skip Duplicates in the uploader if you are uploading your cell phone images to the same folder each time. This should help limit the number of dupes you end up with from your phone.

Thanks -Scott
  • Options
    mrdrewmrdrew Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2015
    the "Skip Duplicates" feature should check the rest of the site for the same picture. Seems like each photo starts it's life called something like DSC_6671.JPG, then gets transmuted into something like i-ZKhKQ8q. But the file name is still in the exif tags. I also noticed that when I right-click-save it still comes up with the old file name. The old file names should be searchable across the whole site when uploading, or when doing a Find Duplicates search. This would make the Find Duplicates feature a far more helpful helpful feature.
  • Options
    mrdrewmrdrew Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2015
    I had another thought about this. There's an option to either "Move" "Collect" or "Cancel" when dragging pictures using the Organize view. What if a folder structure had:
    --All of them
    --Jan
    --Feb
    --Mar

All the pictures were dumped into "All of them" gallery, then selections were "Collected" into other sub-galleries, like Jan, Feb, Mar. I'd always upload to 2015/All of them, hopefully eliminating duplicates, then use the Collect feature to break some of those pictures out into more meaningful albums.

??