Options

Following the stats

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited December 5, 2010 in Weddings
Consider this little n00b's eyes well opened...

Have been tracking the statistics since I linked Shari to her e-shoot: to say that it's "educational" is an understatement!

Huge spike in traffic the day they were posted - to be expected, although this was a bigger surge than any other shoot I've ever posted - they must have a lot of friends taking a look! What's really curious - and which prompted this post - is WHICH photos are getting the hits: the first in the gallery, of course (I've got them arranged by time of capture, although based on this I can see where it could in some cases be beneficial to make #1 a wall-hanger, followed by the remainder in order given what I've seen here) and people absolutely do NOT seem to visit/revisit the ones which we as photographers might consider the keepers!

THere's one outtake I included in the gallery just because I thought the couple would enjoy it as a memory of the afternoon - it's a perfectly ok shot, but is very clearly an out-take... and it's getting LOADS of traffic, far more than the shots I'd consider wall-hangers. Also, among some of the more "formal" portraits (ie the "newspaper announcement" type shots), one which is weaker IMO - it's a cute, technically-sound shot, but her face is slightly hidden by his as they kiss, vis-a-vis others where you can actually connect with both of them - is the one getting most attention. Go figure!

In any case, just musings. I'm sure all you seasoned pros have been tracking your hits for years and have encountered all of this firsthand in your own shoots, but this is kind of a first time for me, and I was struck by it as I "checked in" this morning. Verrrry interesting information indeed ...

Comments

• Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    This year, a couple picked what I considered to be one of the worst shots of the wedding for their album cover. I did several other cover designs using images I knew they loved, but couldn't talk them out of using that one. Then, they ordered a framed 20 by 30 canvas of the same picture!

And an e-session couple put one of the absolutely worst pictures from their otherwise great , 200 plus keeper images e-shoot on their wedding invitation. He looked bored to tears in it.

So now my future goal is to be more selective about what is posted to the web gallery, and to make sure the duds or semi-duds never see the light of a computer monitor, let alone are printed.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    Yeah, thankfully I learned that lesson (the hard way!) with headshot proofs so now I only show pictures that I won't mind if folks pick them! These were perfectly ok shots, just not IMO the best ones of the set. It's very interesting to follow!