More "light screening" than "light painting"

Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited April 18, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
All in all, this photo took a few hours of prep work so I'd like to see what all your opinions are.
Basically, I took the process commonly used to create multi-colored silk screenings and applied it to a photo. I had actually originally drawn the image of the suicide king to get screened on a t-shirt so it kind of sparked the idea.
I chopped the image up in to the separate colors and printed them on transparencies, built a little rack with some pegs to keep all the different stencils aligned, turned the lights off and set the camera to a long remote exposure. Then took a small flashlight (with some black paper as a quick snoot) and some flash gels in the different colors to "color in" the stencils.

suicide-king-light-M.jpg

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Very creative thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    Thanks Randy. Now that I've worked out the whole process I'm thinking of what to do next with it. Like I said, the original image was one I already had from something else but now I can apply this same process to almost anything. Of course, the right side of my brain is saying "You should totally recreate the Sistine Chapel!" and the left side of my brain is saying "Where the hell are you going to find the time for that? Just do part of the Sistine Chapel."
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    Of course, the right side of my brain is saying "You should totally recreate the Sistine Chapel!" and the left side of my brain is saying "Where the hell are you going to find the time for that? Just do part of the Sistine Chapel."

Nice work on this one .. listen to your 'right' side of the brain and create thumb.gif

I like using a flashlight too when taking photos. Never thought of using a piece of black paper for a snoot .. thanks for the idea :D