Copying photos to 2nd gallery

paulblockpaulblock Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 23, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I'm interested in copying photos to a second gallery. I searched on this question here and found someone asking the same thing over a year ago, and back then someone named Baldy replied that it was a frequent request and might be added in the future. Has it been added yet or will it be added soon?

I sort my photos into topic areas (flowers, people, etc.) I would also like to have a "Recent Photos" gallery, and ideally I would put a copy into monthly subgalleries there (August 2005, July 2005). This would be a chronological display of my photos, so someone could see this month's pics as I upload them, and also look back, month by month.

To accomplish this now, I have uploaded my photo into the Recent Photos gallery, then made a 2nd copy and moved that into the appropriate topic gallery, such as Flowers. The first problem is that this waste lots of space on the smugmug server. Since I get unlimited space, that's more smugmug's problem than mine. The second problem is that the duplicate photos have different URLs. So if I link to them, or if someone sends someone else a link to a specific photo, it could become a dead link if I periodically clear out the Recent Photos gallery. Also, if I later need to change a caption, it has to be changed in each place a copy has been created and moved.

Duplicating and moving photos to other galleries is a very inelegant solution. The best way for this to work is for us to be able to copy a photo to other galleries, and it's actually the exact same photo record that is called up in the other gallery. This way, if it is deleted in one gallery, it isn't fully deleted until it is also deleted from the second. Also, if a caption is changed/corrected in one place, it is automatically changed in the other.

Is this possible now or will it be in the near future?

Paul

Comments

• JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    paulblock wrote:
    I'm interested in copying photos to a second gallery. I searched on this question here and found someone asking the same thing over a year ago, and back then someone named Baldy replied that it was a frequent request and might be added in the future. Has it been added yet or will it be added soon?

I sort my photos into topic areas (flowers, people, etc.) I would also like to have a "Recent Photos" gallery, and ideally I would put a copy into monthly subgalleries there (August 2005, July 2005). This would be a chronological display of my photos, so someone could see this month's pics as I upload them, and also look back, month by month.

To accomplish this now, I have uploaded my photo into the Recent Photos gallery, then made a 2nd copy and moved that into the appropriate topic gallery, such as Flowers. The first problem is that this waste lots of space on the smugmug server. Since I get unlimited space, that's more smugmug's problem than mine. The second problem is that the duplicate photos have different URLs. So if I link to them, or if someone sends someone else a link to a specific photo, it could become a dead link if I periodically clear out the Recent Photos gallery. Also, if I later need to change a caption, it has to be changed in each place a copy has been created and moved.

Duplicating and moving photos to other galleries is a very inelegant solution. The best way for this to work is for us to be able to copy a photo to other galleries, and it's actually the exact same photo record that is called up in the other gallery. This way, if it is deleted in one gallery, it isn't fully deleted until it is also deleted from the second. Also, if a caption is changed/corrected in one place, it is automatically changed in the other.

Paul
    But if they did it that way what would we do if we did want them to be two seperate photo's? What I would like is simply a way to make the secound copy directly into another gallery.

James.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    But if they did it that way what would we do if we did want them to be two seperate photo's? What I would like is simply a way to make the secound copy directly into another gallery.

It's a problem that's already been solved long ago in operating systems that use aliases and shortcuts. For example, if I save a QuickTime movie I have the choice to save it as referenced or self-contained.

I would like smugmug to store each photo uniquely, based on filename, and let all organization be through metadata. If I use a photo in more than one gallery, they should all just references to the original. If I want to copy a photo, I should have the option of making it a referenced (very small file, just a pointer to the original) or self-contained copy (same size, no pointer to the original). If the self-contained option is chosen, its filename would be required to change. This is what's widely done already in other software products.

The problem right now is if I want to use a photo in more than one gallery, and I want to update that photo, I need to manually track down any copies and update them too. In a single-source model, you update the one photo and all of its referenced copies would also update. However, if the self-contained option was chosen, they won't update because the link between the original and the copy would have been broken intentionally.

Of course, this is an "in an ideal world" suggestion and I'm sure smugmug will get us there in steps over time as they are able.

And until they do it, I do agree that it would be great to have one-step copying into another gallery, instead of the current copy-and-move. Copy-and-move gets unwieldy and hard to track when multiple, non-adjacent images are selected.
  • paulblockpaulblock Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 8, 2005
    Colourbox:

You said it quite eloquently ... exactly what I am looking for. If I go on a vacation, i would like to have a gallery of those photos, for family to look through, but then I also want to place the best ones in my theme galleries. It is a really unwieldy system having to copy each of those photos and move the copies, then have to track each one down if I make changes. The photo should have its own reference tag and URL, which is created when first uploaded. Then the choice should be to add it to other galleries, and this would not actually duplicate the photo. There could easily be a checkbox if you want, instead, to duplicate the photo and make a new copy with new URL when adding it to another gallery.

Paul
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    Of course, this is an "in an ideal world" suggestion and I'm sure smugmug will get us there in steps over time as they are able.

And until they do it, I do agree that it would be great to have one-step copying into another gallery, instead of the current copy-and-move. Copy-and-move gets unwieldy and hard to track when multiple, non-adjacent images are selected.
    Just found this thread in the search engine and it's just what I've been looking for... a way to copy to other galleries without making duplicates first... &/ior simply copying them into other galleries... but it's actually the origanal copied so as to save server space & make it easier when their updated. I hope to see this feature added soon. Just another easy one that would make life easier and save us sooooo much time.

Thanks,
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • FuzzytekFuzzytek Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    Copy requested 2 forms (link, source)
    The ease of copy with a single data point would be tremendous. I've got private galleries with pricing different than on public ones. To be able to reference the same file beneath it all would be ideal. thumb.gif I realize there are times two copies of the photo are desired. So supporting both linked and source copies would be smart.
    Stephen Boyle - Fuzzytek Photography, LLC
    Capturing and creating fashion, film, festivals around Detroit
    Wordpress-ed Fuzzytek
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 7, 2005
    Does anyone know if this copy feature was added yet? I need it now and it would be very good. If not, I'm just going to have to upload two of the same photos for an X-C meet I did yesterday, one guest gallery for the local newspaper photo editor and one for the team itself. And, I need them both now. How did this story end, can we copy yet? Thanks and best, Shane

paulblock wrote:

Paul
    edited October 7, 2005
    Am I nuts or was the "Make 2nd copy" feature just added today or has it been there? This will allow a second copy that can then be moved...so this is very cool! Sorry if this was there before and I missed it, best, Shane

Does anyone know if this copy feature was added yet? I need it now and it would be very good. If not, I'm just going to have to upload two of the same photos for an X-C meet I did yesterday, one guest gallery for the local newspaper photo editor and one for the team itself. And, I need them both now. How did this story end, can we copy yet? Thanks and best, Shane
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    Am I nuts or was the "Make 2nd copy" feature just added today or has it been there? This will allow a second copy that can then be moved...so this is very cool! Sorry if this was there before and I missed it, best, Shane

it's been there for a long while :D
    edited October 7, 2005
    Well I must need more sleep or something...

Regardless, great stuff!!!
  • sojumansojuman Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 9, 2005
    Well I must need more sleep or something...

Regardless, great stuff!!!
    But you still need to copy-and-move for EACH photo. That gets very tedious after, say 2 photos.

I'm currently evaluating fotki site and found that you can easily copy multiple photos to another photo album. This should be simple for smugmug to implement, so I'm not sure why they don't have this very basic operation. Is this a pro account "feature?"
  • FuzzytekFuzzytek Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    sojuman wrote:
    But you still need to copy-and-move for EACH photo. That gets very tedious after, say 2 photos.

I'm currently evaluating fotki site and found that you can easily copy multiple photos to another photo album. This should be simple for smugmug to implement, so I'm not sure why they don't have this very basic operation. Is this a pro account "feature?"
    No this isn't a pro account feature. The make 2nd copy creates a second copy of the image in the existing gallery. It is a single photo operation. The only problem is each photo individually must be 2nd copied, then the Move dialog used as a second operation to put it in a different gallery. I can't see an obvious need for two copies of an image in the same gallery, but we have this.

A great solution (new feature) would be to add a check mark to the Move function (non-bulk) that says leave a copy here --- that would satisfy the common manner of 2nd copy and move. This would make it extremely easy to perform a "best of" copy process to a new gallery.

In my prior post I mentioned making a link copy versus a physical copy. I've thought through this and see the advantage of current mode offers freedom to manage each copy uniquely. It comes at a cost in storage to Smugmug, so you are looking out for the customer's best interest.
    Stephen Boyle - Fuzzytek Photography, LLC
    Capturing and creating fashion, film, festivals around Detroit
    Wordpress-ed Fuzzytek
  • FormerLurkerFormerLurker Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Any additional word on this?
    Just thought I'd check to see if anyone has any other workarounds (or whether this feature might be added soon). I have one gallery that I either need to copy in its entirety into a new gallery (only about 40 photos, but more than would be easy to do manually) or have a second set of pointers for.

Thanks!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Just thought I'd check to see if anyone has any other workarounds (or whether this feature might be added soon). I have one gallery that I either need to copy in its entirety into a new gallery (only about 40 photos, but more than would be easy to do manually) or have a second set of pointers for.

Thanks!

Hi FL, nothing has changed - nor is it likely to in the near future on our end.
  • FormerLurkerFormerLurker Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    OK - thanks.