Stand-up triple and RBI by one of my grandsons:

2014-04-09-24S-XL.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2014
    fantastic shot! Really like that one, Tony.

Jay
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited April 12, 2014
    Tony, you caught a great expression, good light, pose and comp. My only niggle, and its a small one, is that annoying yellow line in the background. I'm sure there's a way to turn that a light grey in software so it is less of an eye catcher.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Tony, you caught a great expression, good light, pose and comp. My only niggle, and its a small one, is that annoying yellow line in the background. I'm sure there's a way to turn that a light grey in software so it is less of an eye catcher.

That's a protective plastic tube-thing over the fence, and it is annoying
    in the background. It's in every batter photo taken from either side.

Actually, I did use the PS Burn tool and darkened it up quite a bit. I added a
    layer and darkened it even more, but it looked worse.

That's the problem with immovable background stuff. It's there, and
    there's no angle to use to avoid it in a taken-in-action shot.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2014
    Awesome shot. The yellow fence guard is just a fact of the game. Actually I think it adds to the context and authenticity. If for every shot in which it appears you were to try to minimize it, level it, or delete it altogether, you'd be in for A LOT of Photoshop hours. For ONE special shot, sure, deal with it as you please. Personally I think the guard says "this was actually taken during a game." I do think it's better if you can get it around waist level, or at least below the shoulders.

5D3_1230-XL.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2014
    Nice shots. I too am not bothered by the yellow tube. It's part of the game and I didn't notice it because it's routine to see them.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2014
    Tony - great shot. Great expression and I like the warm lighting. It looks like you did a pretty successful job of blurring the background in PP so it is less of a distraction. The only nit there is - if you're going to do it, consider adding some gradual blur to the ground so you don't have in-focus ground hitting oof fence.

But the expression and lighting really make the shot stand out. Really a great illustration of how expressions are often more important than action in youth sports.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2014
    Nice shot! One of your best I've seen.