Options

Rust, woodst and trains

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,179 moderator
edited June 8, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Last week, my wife and I visited a favorite place of mine, the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois. Dozens of acres of restored and also old, aging and rusting iron in the yards behind the public sheds. A Rustafarion's dream come true! Below are some shots processed without much boosting (normal for these type of posts), but these really didn't need more than what nature had already brought out.

i-vwxMhmT.jpg

i-jdHVXR4.jpg

i-Vp9JBV2.jpg

i-bNDCDPK.jpg

5. Side of a steam engine
i-F4Pt7v5.jpg

6. "Woodst" on the side of a service car
i-fqDbVqg.jpg

Links:
Illinois Railway Museum

My gallery of pics from the past couple of visits there.
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2013
    Well, this is a very credible foray into the world of the RUST JUNKIE. Numbers 1, 3 , 4 are really good and the " woodst " shot is very well done. The shooting site you mention could feed this habit for a long, long time.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,910 moderator
    edited May 23, 2013
    Hey, I remember you taking me there--very cool place. These all have nice composition, texture and color but #4 just blows me away. bowdown.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    ...... These all have nice composition, texture and color but #4 just blows me away. bowdown.gifclap.gifclap.gif

15524779-Ti.gif #1 too!

We have a Railway Museum here also that is great fun, and very rusty!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2013
    Well done! 3 and 4 are my favorite.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2013
    Rust Alarm! Rust Junkie smorgasbord!

Yummy! thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2013
    Look at entering one of these excellent shots in the current DGrin Mini-Challenge!
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    Hey, I remember you taking me there--very cool place. These all have nice composition, texture and color but #4 just blows me away. bowdown.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks, Richard! These pics above were predominantly from the 6-track wide yard just to the south of that big block-long shed with those enormous WWII vintage and earlier steam locomotives that we spent a lot of time looking at. We didn't walk those yards that time. We did that this visit only because it was pre-season (and no-charge entry, again!) and all but one of the 8 main shed were still closed. So it was actually good they weren't fully open since it forced us to walk more of the outside grounds. The only bad part was… bees. eek7.gif I want to go back in a couple weeks when the barns and sheds re-open to get pics of more of those amazing million pound+ vintage engines with my new body that can more easily handle the 12,800+ ISO's needed for that environment.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2013
    rainbow wrote: »
    Look at entering one of these excellent shots in the current DGrin Mini-Challenge!

I didn't actually know what the new topic(s) was this round until you mentioned it above. Thanks for pointing that out!
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2013
    Well, this is a very credible foray into the world of the RUST JUNKIE. Numbers 1, 3 , 4 are really good and the " woodst " shot is very well done. The shooting site you mention could feed this habit for a long, long time.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. There is more there than I'll ever be able to see. Anyone living close to the IRM should visit the place. Takes one back in time, and is an important reminder that a hundred and twenty five years ago, there were some very forward thinking, creative and bright engineers hard at work.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2013
    Really fun series of photos to look at. Sounds like a wonderful place to visit. My favorite photo is your last one. I know -- I didn't pick a rust one, but the lone window with all the texture won me over :D
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2013
    Very nice finds David thumb.gif Image 4 pretty hot and I also really like many of the features of Image 1 which is yet another carefully composed pic of set.
    Local assets are pretty sweet to go back to time and again. They almost always provide new images or reconsidered compositions to previous efforts. Gotta love that :D
    Have to admire your leaving the "harsh lighting" shots in. New things happen in such light and they are often quite interesting for an overall result. Something a photog definitely does not want to overlook.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2013
    Thanks Don, Cristobal, Mary and Michael!
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Very nice finds David thumb.gif Image 4 pretty hot and I also really like many of the features of Image 1 which is yet another carefully composed pic of set.
    Local assets are pretty sweet to go back to time and again. They almost always provide new images or reconsidered compositions to previous efforts. Gotta love that :D

Such as your Old Idaho State Pen. & Gardens! Been there - great place (not so much for the former inmates)
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2013
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Thanks Don, Cristobal, Mary and Michael!

Such as your Old Idaho State Pen. & Gardens! Been there - great place (not so much for the former inmates)
    :D Sweet you've been out here and nabbing some pictures. Those 2 locations are as you describe. Great. Was married at the old "Bishops House" across the street from the old pen. A lovely ol sandstone and wood structure. Likely you have a pic or 2 of that Victorian classic.
    Did you make it to the Armory located on the back grounds next to the laundry bldg? It often gets missed for some reason I haven't figured. I actually haven't been to the gardens. Had heard cameras were not allowed though I am not sure of the details as to the why and such. You come out this way again give us a shout if you have time :D That would be nice.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2013
    DaddyO wrote: »
    :D Sweet you've been out here and nabbing some pictures. Those 2 locations are as you describe. Great. Was married at the old "Bishops House" across the street from the old pen. A lovely ol sandstone and wood structure. Likely you have a pic or 2 of that Victorian classic.
    Did you make it to the Armory located on the back grounds next to the laundry bldg? It often gets missed for some reason I haven't figured. I actually haven't been to the gardens. Had heard cameras were not allowed though I am not sure of the details as to the why and such. You come out this way again give us a shout if you have time :D That would be nice.

Didn't tour the Bishop House, but knew of it at the time. Didn't get pics in the Armory, but went through it quickly as my wife wanted to get going, and it was nearly a hundred degrees out there. Wife doesn't like old territorial prisons for some reason, and the Wyoming version also wasn't her thing either.

i-tJtsJhG.jpg

If they don't allow cameras in the gardens, I certainly didn't get the memo, and no one tried to stop me. Hand held shots they probably don't worry about, but had I been setting up a tripod, then maybe :D
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2013
    A feast, indeed! A nice collection of shots and what great subjects to work with--my favorite is also #4.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com