Washington DC Overnight

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
edited May 26, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Heading up to New York for the holiday weekend air show, and I stopped for the night in Washington, DC. It's probably my favorite city to shoot, especially at night. After checking in and a quick dinner, I headed into the city.

1 - The sculpture that is part of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
JM_2013_05_18_WashingtonDC_001-XL.jpg

2 - Albert Einstein outside the National Academy of Sciences.
JM_2013_05_18_WashingtonDC_004-XL.jpg

3 - Most photos I see of the Lincoln Memorial (my own included) shoot the memorial from straight ahead. As I approached from the Vietnam Memorial, I was struck by this view.
JM_2013_05_18_WashingtonDC_003-XL.jpg

4 - All the times I've walked around on the Memorial, I've never really gone around this side, but last night I was rewarded with this shot. The scaffolding on the Washington Monument is for the repairs to the monument following the August 2011 earthquake which struck the East Coast.
JM_2013_05_18_WashingtonDC_005-XL.jpg

After I was done, I headed back to the motel, grabbed a late dinner, and processed the photos above. By the time I was done, it was a little after 1 AM, and I decided to do something I've thought about the past few times I've been in DC - I headed back into the city to shoot some of the memorials in the middle of the night, once the crowds were gone.

5 - The World War II Memorial at 4 AM
JM_2013_05_19_WashingtonDC_003-XL.jpg

JM_2013_05_19_WashingtonDC_004-XL.jpg

JM_2013_05_19_WashingtonDC_005-XL.jpg

8 - The Smithsonian Institution at 5 AM.
JM_2013_05_19_WashingtonDC_006-XL.jpg

9 - It had been cloudy and drizzly much of the night, and the fog really rolled in before morning.
JM_2013_05_19_WashingtonDC_007-XL.jpg

10 - 3 AM, hanging with Mr. Lincoln. And yes, even then, I had to wait for people to get out of my shots!
JM_2013_05_19_WashingtonDC_001-XL.jpg

When I saw we weren't going to get a decent sunrise because of the fog and clouds, I headed back to the motel - and processed some more photos, of course - before turning in, 24 hours after I started my day on Saturday morning...

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2013
    Well, if nothing else, John, I sure admire your tenacity. The reward for you is this wonderful set of images. I can't remember ever seeing the perspective shown in # 4. Good stuff.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • ThirdDayImagingThirdDayImaging Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2013
    Beautiful set of images! I especially love the lighting and detail in #2, but they're all terrific.
    Happy Shooting, Scott
    Bodies: Panasonic Lumix GF3 and G5
    Lenses: Leica/Lumix Summilux 25mm f1.4, Leica Summicron 50mm f2 (dual range), Leica Summicron 90mm f2, Leica Elmar 135mm f4, Lumix 12-42mm f3.5-f5
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2013
    Beautiful series.... #3 and the fog shots for me!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2013
    Great series! I live near DC, and I've never taken the time to do something like this....:bash
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2013
    Sitting here thinking about it and I've never seen any of these places in photo before. We have Bridalveil Falls in the Columbia Gorge and I can't think of a really different shot of it in 30 yrs! I've seldom see photo's from Washington DC and never any like these. Beautiful! I have no idea how to tell a good photo from an also ran but I do know that there are photo's that grab my attention and those that don't. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2013
    Great photos!! What a wonderful time to shoot them too. The WWII Memorial .. Awesome thumb.gifthumb
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2013
    Thank you all! It was definitely a different view from the daytime, and one of the reasons I enjoy shooting at night so much.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 26, 2013
    Excellent series!

Lincoln and the Capitol are particularly good!!!