Options

A Stunning Pair of " Duesey's "

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited June 9, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
The name Duesenberg has long been associated with automotive excellence. In the 20's and 30's, this U.S. manufacturer produced what are generally regarded as being the finest cars built anywhere in the world. The one pictured below is a 1931 Duesenberg Derham Tourster model J-448. This very car is considered to be one of the very few of that model to retain its original body, chassis, engine, and major components.

The Duesenberg engines were the epitome of design and engineering excellence. It had a straight-eight layout....sporting such features ( considered exotic at the time ) as dual over-head cams and 4 valves per cylinder. For the driver who wanted to be a little frisky, there was actually an exhaust dump that could be activated by a floor-mounted lever.

Amelia%20Show%20%231%202012%20140-X2.jpg

Amelia%20Show%20%231%202012%20150-X2.jpg

This beauty is a 1929 Duesenberg J-108 convertible top coupe....bodied by the Murphy coachworks. When E.L. Cord purchased Duesenberg in 1926, he commissioned Fred Duesenberg to develop the finest motorcar in the world. The model J ( and its several iterations ) is that car. When new, the chassis alone sold for $8,500. This car shared the same exotic engine architecture as the car above. It was also featured in the 1934 movie..." The Gay Divorcee "....starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

Amelia%20Show%20%231%202012%20145-X2.jpg

Amelia%20Show%20%231%202012%20148-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2013
    Tom,

That first Duesey that you posted may be the finest automobile I have ever seen. (at least in the top 5)

Elegant style and muscle too!

Thanks for the pics!
    Randy
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2013
    rwells wrote: »
    Tom,

That first Duesey that you posted may be the finest automobile I have ever seen. (at least in the top 5)

Elegant style and muscle too!

Thanks for the pics!

You know, Randy, it's easy to fall under the spell of these Duesenberg cars. In their time, they were undoubtedly the finest vehicles made.....anywhere. Their engineering concepts were often years ahead of any other manufacturer and the skill and craftsmanship in their assembly was unequalled.

After years of exposure to the best cars the world has to offer, it's hard not to become a little bit jaded about it all. All I have to do, though, is get around a few Duesenbergs and I'm easily lost again in marveling at their excellence.

Take care, buddy,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    neelmccneelmcc Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2013
    Tom and Randy,

Have either of you ever visited the ACD Museum in Auburn, Indiana? A wonderful collection of Auburns, Cords, and Dueseys. Not a glamorous setting, but some great cars on display. My sister lives in Auburn and I have been many times.

Neel
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2013
    neelmcc wrote: »
    Tom and Randy,

Have either of you ever visited the ACD Museum in Auburn, Indiana? A wonderful collection of Auburns, Cords, and Dueseys. Not a glamorous setting, but some great cars on display. My sister lives in Auburn and I have been many times.

Neel

Unfortunately, Neel, I've never been to the ACD Museum. It's one of the few museums/collections of that scope that is still on my bucket list. I've had a number of opportunities to go there....just hasn't happened. Luckily, by virtue of attending many major car shows, I've been able to see many of the cars that are usually seen at the ACD Museum.

Thanks for looking in,

Tom
  • Options
    rtbaumrtbaum Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2013
    I have had the fortune of visiting the ACD museum many years ago. The last time was an auction when they auctioned off one of Liberace's vehicles, an unforgettable machine featuring gold hubcaps and rhinestones in the steering wheel.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2013
    rtbaum wrote: »
    I have had the fortune of visiting the ACD museum many years ago. The last time was an auction when they auctioned off one of Liberace's vehicles, an unforgettable machine featuring gold hubcaps and rhinestones in the steering wheel.

Thanks for looking in. I doubt I'd be shocked by anything Liberace did....or drove around in.

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2013
    The first car sure is a beauty thumb.gif
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2013
    Couldn't you just see me cruising around San Antonio in that '31 car? That is gorgeous, Tom!! Thanks for once again expanding my horizons. Oh, did Duesenberg make a truck? mwink.gif
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2013
    Dogdots wrote: »
    The first car sure is a beauty thumb.gif

I couldn't agree more, Mary. I've seen a lot of magnificent Duesenbergs....this one, though, is surely special. Can't you just see a gang of us roaring around in that thing? Maybe in Savannah or Charleston?

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2013
    redleash wrote: »
    Couldn't you just see me cruising around San Antonio in that '31 car? That is gorgeous, Tom!! Thanks for once again expanding my horizons. Oh, did Duesenberg make a truck? mwink.gif

OK, Lauren, I'll add San Antonio to the list. But I can see you cruising around anywhere in this thing. Best to keep it limited to areas that aren't dusty, though....talk about " open " motoring.

I hope you're doing well,

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2013
    I couldn't agree more, Mary. I've seen a lot of magnificent Duesenbergs....this one, though, is surely special. Can't you just see a gang of us roaring around in that thing? Maybe in Savannah or Charleston?

Take care,

Tom

We'd all have a blast thumb.gif