A New Look At an Ancient Wall

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited June 9, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
These ancient old St. Augustine walls fascinate me. This one is about 300 years old and constructed from coquina blocks. I thought I'd just throw a little of my special RUST JUNKIE elixir at it to give it a special look.

St.%20Augustine%201-24-10%20011-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited May 27, 2013
    Brickst! Awesome.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2013
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Brickst! Awesome.

" Brickst " works for me. I didn't know what to call it. It's very interesting to discover what the RUST JUNKIE approach can produce when applied to subjects other than rust.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2013
    Hi Tom, I like old walls as well - you have found a nice variety of textures and colours - well seen. Had to look up 'coquina' - so I learnt something today (which for me is not too difficult :D)

Cheers, Richard.
    edited May 27, 2013
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi Tom, I like old walls as well - you have found a nice variety of textures and colours - well seen. Had to look up 'coquina' - so I learnt something today (which for me is not too difficult :D)

Cheers, Richard.

Hey Richard...it's good to hear from you.

If it weren't for coquina, half of Florida's early structures would never have been built and virtually none of them would have survived to this day had they been built of some other material. That coquina is mighty tough stuff....brush up against it with your bare skin and you'll be leaving a hunk of yourself behind.

The wall provided all the texture I needed...the colors came from my carefully choreographed dance upon the PP sliders.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2013
    Brickst - he... he.. that's funny!
    Nice to see that you still have no mercy for the sliders Tom - cool textures.
    Hope you are well!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited May 28, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Brickst - he... he.. that's funny!
    Nice to see that you still have no mercy for the sliders Tom - cool textures.
    Hope you are well!

Thanks much, Eric. I'm doing very well.

I discovered that if you cut those sliders any slack at all , they begin to think that they're back in control....can't have that. It's best to keep them flogged into submission.:whip

Take care,

Tom
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2013
    Hi Tom,

I like this, nicely done!
    edited May 30, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    Hi Tom,

I like this, nicely done!

Hey Cristóbal,

Thanks. Take care, buddy.

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2013
    I've never heard of coquina before. I had to google it to see exactly what it was. Definitely a lot of texture to it. Nice work thumb.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2013
    My first stop here in a while and what do I find? A wonderful dose of Brickst..........great stuff, Tom!

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited June 9, 2013
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I've never heard of coquina before. I had to google it to see exactly what it was. Definitely a lot of texture to it. Nice work thumb.gif

Thanks, Mary. Coquina is truly the building block of old Florida...and also in other parts of the coastal South.

See you,

Tom

PS. About time you cranked up the camera, isn't it?
    edited June 9, 2013
    redleash wrote: »
    My first stop here in a while and what do I find? A wonderful dose of Brickst..........great stuff, Tom!

Cheers,
    Lauren

Well, for my money, Lauren, you've been absent way, way too long. So has Randy, Craig, Mary, Jack, Gary, and a few others.

Maybe this dose of Brickst will fire you up?

Take care,

Tom