Options

Deleting Old Watermarks - Power User

KeithHKeithH Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited March 23, 2015 in SmugMug Support
I have been a SmugMug user for ten years and used to have a higher-level account in which I could use my own customized watermarks, but with the new SmugMug and as a power user, I can't have any watermarks - which is fine - but am I stuck with some of those old watermarks I used to use? They still grace many of my older images but I would rather have none than some of the older ones which are just too large. I tried deleting the watermark image but that didn't do anything. Is my only other option to delete the gallery images and upload them again? Thanks.

http://hazweb.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2015
    I would think if you regenerated the display sizes the WM might disappear. Try rotating the photos left
    then back right. At least try one photo.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited March 19, 2015
    I believe the support heros can do this for you if Allen's method doesn't work.

--- Denise
  • Options
    KeithHKeithH Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2015
    Rotating them does seem to work. It's a little cumbersome and time consuming but it works. Thanks.
  • Options
    owilliamsowilliams Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2015
    Hiya Keith,

If you are still working on this, the support heroes can help. We'll be happy to temporarily upgrade your account so that you can go in and remove your watermarks in bulk. Then when you are done we'll change you back to the Power level account. Just shoot a quick email to help@smugmug.com and we'll get things sorted out for you.

-Oliver
    SmugMug Support Hero
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2015
    Watermark removal can only be done gallery by gallery. Removing by "bulk" still has to be done for every gallery.
    The WM tool is only one step for each gallery though. Rotating photo requires two steps, L then R. Is there any
    other bulk tool that needs only one step to regenerate display photos?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2015
    I noticed that when I was updating my watermark, if I deleted the photo that I used to make the watermark, the named watermark disappeared, although I could not add a new watermark with the same name. I don't know if this is a quirk or what, & I also wonder if the watermark is deleted, will the galleries that show the watermark still show it? Just a thought that might help with the bulk situation.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2015
    lkbart,

If you deleted the image file that was being used for the watermark but never deleted the watermark created in the account settings then the system still thinks there is a watermark on your site with that name. You need to delete the watermark in your account settings before creating a new one with that name.
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2015
    Well, once I deleted the image, the watermark did not show up in my account settings, so there was nothing to delete. That's why I tried re-using the name. Although I can use the same name now, so I'm guessing there is just a time lag between when I deleted the image and when I tried to re-use the watermark name.

Regardless, my post was meant to suggest that there might be a possibility that if you delete the watermark from account settings, that it might just go away from your galleries - I don't know & haven't tested it.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited March 23, 2015
    lkbart wrote: »
    Regardless, my post was meant to suggest that there might be a possibility that if you delete the watermark from account settings, that it might just go away from your galleries - I don't know & haven't tested it.
    deleting the watermark from account settings does not remove the watermark from photos that use that watermark. You would need to go into organizer, select the photos, and remove the watermark. (Or use the method that Allen suggested.)

--- Denise
  • Options
    TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2015
    I apologize for the confusion. What I meant to say was that the watermark in the account settings needs to be deleted first and then delete the watermark file. Your best bet for removing watermarks is to remove them before downgrading your account. The Support Heroes are always willing to help users do a temporary upgrade to an account so that the account owner can remove the watermarks before we downgrade your account again.
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero