SmugMug on Roku - NOW AVAILABLE !!

124»

Comments

• SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2015
    Awesome! Glad to hear it's working. Yes, the photo rotation bug--I guess I'll see if it's still there when I get back to shooting. Been helping my parents for almost 3 years now with their businesses, so my own had to take a backburner. I'm not looking forward to rebuilding my entire smugmug site. :cry I know the lack of some customization like javascript will be tough to work around, if even possible.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • feetup69feetup69 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 15, 2016
    SmugMug Gallery images 50% black border all sides
    Greetings,

I've reached out to SmugMug with this issue, but they have referred me here to contact the author of this wonderful little SmugMug app for roku. I have a Roku4, and can successfully see our gallery images. However, they all display with a roughly 50% or larger black border on all sides, rendering the experience a little less desirable when sharing images via TV to a living room full of people. I would expect the image to at least fill the X or Y dimension depending on the images. The SmugMug team member verified that our gallery has no restrictions and is set to display images at their original size.

Has anyone run into this issue before, and or have any suggestions? I saw from earlier in the thread that some people needed to update the app version somehow, but that was years ago on this thread, and so i assume I have the latest version. (Is the App still being supported?)

Thanks so much in advance,
    Best.
  • olegosolegos Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins

Could this Roku app please be made to work with guest accounts. It doesn't now. I want to use a guest account for my Roku so it only sees the galleries I explicitly share with it, rather than making all my galleries available to anyone in my living room. (I purchased a Roku stick instead of Chromecast in large part because I saw that Smugmug was available on it.)

• huseyinhuseyin Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins

Hi, when I go through categories/subcategories, it says it cannot display albums with external links disabled and with a password.
    But I can see those if I go through first screen, when it asks for album password.

Can this be fixed, or is there a way to login as admin/owner so we don't have to put password for each album?
    Thanks.

My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr
  • AndyVaBeachAndyVaBeach Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    > @feetup69 said:
    > SmugMug Gallery images 50% black border all sides
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I've reached out to SmugMug with this issue, but they have referred me here to contact the author of this wonderful little SmugMug app for roku. I have a Roku4, and can successfully see our gallery images. However, they all display with a roughly 50% or larger black border on all sides, rendering the experience a little less desirable when sharing images via TV to a living room full of people. I would expect the image to at least fill the X or Y dimension depending on the images. The SmugMug team member verified that our gallery has no restrictions and is set to display images at their original size.
    >
    > Has anyone run into this issue before, and or have any suggestions? I saw from earlier in the thread that some people needed to update the app version somehow, but that was years ago on this thread, and so i assume I have the latest version. (Is the App still being supported?)
    >
    > Thanks so much in advance,
    > Best.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited January 24, 2017

Everybody,
    The Roku SM author's last activity at the forum was 3.5 years ago. Maybe he will update the Roku app, maybe he won't. There is an Apple TV app that is just about everything it can be, and is supported by Smugmug employees. Maybe we should just move on? (I am a Roku user myself and I wish the Roku SM app could be more useful for Smugmug's current platform, but it is woefully outdated). :'(

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • BoofunkingBoofunking Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    Hi @feetup69,

This is a new problem. SmugMUg changed things and screwed up the Roku App (they also screwed up the full screen slide show on their web site). I* contacted SmugMug and suggested they create their own Roku app (I think everyone her should do the same). I for one will never buy an Apple TV. And yes it looks like the app has been abandoned by Chris Hoffman (tried contacting him at rokusmugmug@gmail.com as shown in the app but no reply).
  • OlyendoOlyendo Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    Yes, the Roku app has been great to have. Perhaps if the author gave the code to Smugmug they could tweak it to work better. I suspect there is a broad user base.
  • AseaAZAseaAZ Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    I was just searching to figure out how to solve this same problem. My photos display at about 1/4 if the screen no matter what I do, they used to display just fine.
  • huseyinhuseyin Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins

Hi everyone,
    Are you guys actively using Roku app, or has there been any changes?

I see that it works fine on unprotected/public galleries, but the moment you add protection etc it cannot display the albums. Is there a way to login as owner so we can see everything? Or is there a way to set different kind of permission for Roku so we can see the albums?

In reference to picture sizes, it's fine but not being able to zoom in/out is a problem with pictures where you have several areas of focus.

Is it better on Fire TV? Maybe we should just use Fire Stick for Roku on TV instead?

My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr
  • traeboytraeboy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    Hello. Can you fix your Roku app? It’s been non-functional since early June. Thanks.
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins

I, too, am no longer able to access my Smugmug galleries on my Roku streaming device. The ability to display/share my galleries on a large TV is much preferred over crowding around my computer screen (seems like this ought to be a "no-brainer" functionality that Smugmug would wholeheartedly embrace). Every time I show Smugmug galleries on my TV to friends and family I get "Wow (that's neat)!" comments. Perhaps I haven't done enough research yet for a solution, but It appears that it's low on the priority list for Smugmug to take up the challenge once and for all....am I wrong??? I'd really like to know. Thanks.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited July 19, 2018

Roku is now an operating system that is part of many TV's being sold. It really would be in Smugmug's best interest to develop their own app for Roku. The previous, and non-functioning app was privately developed for a much earlier version of Smugmug, before SM 2.0 came out four years ago - which is why it is now largely useless. In fact, the app now looks ridiculous (see below - no longer works at all) under SM 2.0 and makes Smugmug look like an amateur player. The Roku ecosystem is quite popular and not everyone is an Apple fanboy.

EDIT: BTW, we haven't heard from the developer since 2013. His older posts are in this thread.

EDIT2: Last time I opened the SM Roku app was a month ago. It worked. Now it just says Missing API and does nothing. Uninstalling is the only option.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    I very much hope SM will take this under their wing and update the Roku app. Perhaps they can at least comment.
  • sean000sean000 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2018

I too am disappointed to see the Roku app for Smugmug no longer working. The Smugmug Roku app is the most common way we view our photos as a family. It is essential to the enjoyment of our photographs. I understand if the developer of the app is no longer involved, but it needs to be addressed. Roku is the most popular streaming device in the U.S. according to this Parks Associates report. I'm sure you are aware of its popularity though, so this might be just a matter of prioritizing projects and finding the time or people to make it happen. I suppose until then I will have to begin uploading photos to Google or Flickr, since I can stream both of those services from Roku.

I contacted Smugmug support and they referred me to the Roku app developer's Github page. Someone posted the error there several weeks ago, but no response so far. It's possible the developer simply created the app voluntarily as both a Roku and Smugmug user. Given the popularity of the Roku platform, and streaming to a TV as an increasingly common way to enjoy photos, I would like to see Smugmug take ownership of the app just as they own the Apple TV app. The Apple TV Smugmug app announcement is titled, "You asked. We listened.". Roku has more market share than Apple TV, but maybe Apple TV is more popular among Smugmuggers?

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

I've seen some conflicting user data out there, some showing Roku has a large % of the marketshare and others showing that Roku has a dwindling % as AppleTV and Chromecast grow.

I had reached out to the Roku developer and we looked at usage statistics ... while there are a few passionate SmugMuggers here on this thread who used the old SmugMug channel, it appears that Roku is not a popular device for SmugMuggers. Because of that, we both felt it was not worth continuing. Of course we're always here to listen and if we see Roku usage grow amongst SmugMug customers, we'll be happy to reconsider in the future.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • jswallenjswallen Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    See Following -
  • endorphinjunkieendorphinjunkie Registered Users Posts: 0 Beginner grinner
    > @leftquark said:
    > I've seen some conflicting user data out there, some showing Roku has a large % of the marketshare and others showing that Roku has a dwindling % as AppleTV and Chromecast grow.

I'm a little confused at where you came to this conclusion. There's a large number of votes on that app (more than on the Apple TV request) feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/5455513-replace-the-current-partially-function-roku-app-w

Futher, Roku has always in every reported statistic had more marketshare than Apple and Google combined. Here's one just 2 months before your post: www.cordcuttersnews.com/amazons-fire-tv-market-share-grows-but-roku-remains-dominate/

It clearly shows Roku's market share growing faster than Google (declining) and Apple TV. Chromecast is a useful toy. Roku has a full streaming environment and their own line of televisions.
  • kevmacmillskevmacmills Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    FWIW: Seeing a SmugMug channel in the Roku store was one of the things that convinced me to sign up! Sure was a bummer to find out it actually didn't work :/
  • runswithsizzersrunswithsizzers Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins

Now that I've lost the SmugMug Roku channel, it's starting to look like Chromecast and Google Photos may be the easiest way to view my online photos on my TV. But if I decide to move my photos to Google Photos, not sure why I would need SmugMug?

• sean000sean000 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins

Sigh. Still waiting and I guess it's for naught. Seems like this would be a fairly easy thing to develop and maintain. There is a Flickr app after all.

Smugmug was the sole issue I bought my Roku in the first place. It doesn't seem like it would take a ton of investment to refurbish the previous app.

• TeetimeTeetime Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins

@leftquark, I hope you will reexamine and reconsider Roku's position in the market place, expecially compared to Apple TV. Roku is growing market share much faster than Apple TV and with a projected year-end base of 52 million Roku powered devices, it seems odd for SM to ignore this opportunity.

From Telecompetitor
    Streaming TV provider Roku accounted for more than 30% of platform sales during the first quarter of 2019, according to new streaming TV market share data from Strategy Analytics. The firm said that there now are more than 41 million Roku-based devices in the field.
    “Roku had another strong quarter in Q1 and continues to hold a commanding lead in streaming media platforms in spite of Amazon’s growing influence in the living room,” said David Watkins, a Director at Strategy Analytics and author of the report. “Roku’s extensive content offering, comprehensive search function and simple and intuitive user interface have been key factors in its success, alongside affordable hardware and regularly updated software.”

Jerry

• johndocjohndoc Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins

Smugmug staff has always seemed to be populated with Apple fanboys. I use my Google Photos app (PhotoView), actually decent, good screensaver and free. Even Flickr does a decent job on Roku.

• SrockSrock Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2020

Long, long time with Smugmug . Have repeatedly asked for some easy way to stream my photos to my TV. I now have 2 TCL smart TV's both with Roku TV and still cant stream my photos with a Roku app. One of my TVs is 65" and my photos would be glorious there.I also have an amazon firestick and cant stream my photos. I have a Chromecast but no way to easily stream that either (least good option). Professional photographers could stream onto large screen tvs in clients home. If they dont have a roku, a photgrapher could bring a small roku with them(Way better than a small laptop Screen for sales). Families would not have to crowd around a laptop. I could bring my collection easily into a friend or families home. I suspect a Roku app would be wildly popular.
    You have always been responsive to your users. Now in the Pandemic it would be even more important to be able to stream to my family TVs or have family bring my photos into their homes. Smugmug is way behind the times here and I am not sure why. This is way more important than a new gallery style, or selling me a new mug. Not a difficult problem to solve and I am sure you could do it rapidly if you wanted to.

This has been requested repeatedly over the years. Please listen now.

Steve

• GreatSave9GreatSave9 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins

I know its a pain to support multiple devices, but ROKU is super popular now, much better than Amazon Fire. Would love a SmugMug app for ROKU.

• nick_spreitzernick_spreitzer Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Hey all, I also pretty desperately want a SmugMug Roku app! It's to the point that I am now seriously considering creating one myself. Would y'all be willing to fill out a brief, 5 minute survey so I can better assess demand for an app like this? I'm not sure if it's just me and a couple dozen of you, or if there is widespread desire. Thanks in advance! Survey is here: http://survey.smugmug-roku.com