Trying to price photo rights use

HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited April 3, 2015 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello,
I have been approached by a company that creates jigsaw puzzles from photographs. They want to use one of my photographs for a puzzle. They want to buy the rights to use the photograph for puzzles in two European countries for up to 5 years and they say they normally pay an agency like Getty or Corbis between $300 - $550. I have no experience with this kind of sale and am hoping someone here may have knowledge of this kind of limited licensing and pricing.

Thanks for any opinions and help.

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2015
    HarlanBear wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have been approached by a company that creates jigsaw puzzles from photographs. They want to use one of my photographs for a puzzle. They want to buy the rights to use the photograph for puzzles in two European countries for up to 5 years and they say they normally pay an agency like Getty or Corbis between $300 - $550. I have no experience with this kind of sale and am hoping someone here may have knowledge of this kind of limited licensing and pricing.

Thanks for any opinions and help.

OK, here goes.............two things to consider, 1. this is out of the blue for you and free money, 2. The puzzle co has established what they are willing to pay and I doubt they are going to budge off that.

So for me it's simple, is the image they want some super special image for you? If not tell to send a check for $450.00 and quite fretting about it.

Sam
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2015
    15524779-Ti.gif As long as you retain the copyright and they are not asking for exclusive rights, I would have to agree with Sam.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2015
    Gary752 wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif As long as you retain the copyright and they are not asking for exclusive rights, I would have to agree with Sam.

GaryB

15524779-Ti.gif As you should...............rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2015
    This is actually a good price. I was recently approached for non-exclusive use of one of my images for advertising brochures. I quoted $400, and was told they expected less than $100, and they ended up going with a micro-stock image for $30.
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2015
    I came across this Getty Images calculator a while back. Not that I'm in their "league", but I did find it interesting.....

Source:
    http://www.gettyimages.com/pricecalculator/sb10069475ab-001