Wings Over Wine Country Airshow 2011

photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
edited August 24, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Sonoma County, CA

I shot the air shots with my kit lens 70-300mm f4-5.6 G (she's going on Craigslist after this!) and static with AFS Nikkor 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 G ED DX VR (my standard glass).

I was very disappointed with the 70-300 for sharpness and autofocusing capabilities (speed and losing focus). The only shortcoming of the 18-200 is the lens creep, but I can sure deal with that.

Let me know what you think of these shots and please offer constructive criticism and your own experiences with the same/similar subject matter. I'm deciding with renting a 400mm prime or 200-400mm zoom for the upcoming Salinas, CA and Reno airshows. End of summer is airshow-fever time for me.

Doug
6066106225_b27c4c8074_z.jpg

6066647796_d1f226030d_z.jpg

6066097391_e86c82125a_z.jpg

Comments

• NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    That 3rd pic is surreal - very nice.

Saw the Hawker Sea Fury in Vancouver last weekend - interesting demo with the smoke generators he uses.
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    Nice work, Doug! I love the third shot! I do a ton of aviation shooting, both at air shows and just around the airport, and my 100-400mm (Canon) gets a workout. I haven't shot with a long prime, but I think the zoom might give you more flexibility - you'll appreciate the extra reach over your current glass, but depending on your location and the subject matter, the shorter end of the zoom may be handy. Of course, if you have a second body, you could rent the prime, and put a shorter lens on the other one. I actually do that when I'm out on the ramp (or static display area) with the 100-400, plus a short lens on my other camera - I can continue shooting aircraft on the ground while being prepared for things flying past.
  • bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    The 3rd shots rocks!
    “Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
    My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    I agree ... #3 is awesome thumb.gif
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    moose135 wrote: »
    Nice work, Doug! I love the third shot! I do a ton of aviation shooting, both at air shows and just around the airport, and my 100-400mm (Canon) gets a workout. I haven't shot with a long prime, but I think the zoom might give you more flexibility - you'll appreciate the extra reach over your current glass, but depending on your location and the subject matter, the shorter end of the zoom may be handy. Of course, if you have a second body, you could rent the prime, and put a shorter lens on the other one. I actually do that when I'm out on the ramp (or static display area) with the 100-400, plus a short lens on my other camera - I can continue shooting aircraft on the ground while being prepared for things flying past.

I think I'll need to get it out of my system and rent the 400 VR. My 18-200 VR is there for backup in case I'm too close. But now that I've shot this local event a few times I think the 400 might be just what suits me. And I'm really looking forward to the quality of really good zoom glass.

Next up are Salinas, CA and Reno Air Races. Thanks for your feedback everyone!