Grain with 1.4 50mm???

Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
edited January 23, 2010 in Cameras
I have noticed when I shoot with my 50mm 1.4 there is grain in the blurred bg. Does anyone else have this problem, or is it even a problem?
If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson

Comments

• Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    I use my 50 1.4G 50% of the time and I haven't had any problems with grain in the bg. I have even shot at ISO 800 with no problems.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    What is your ISO?
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    What is your ISO?

As borrowlenses alluded to, your lens has no direct impact on "grain" in your image. Your ISO setting will determine the level of noise in any given shot. Try reducing both your ISO speed and aperture settings.
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    ISO 100. I think my problem is I like to shoot it at 1.8( it is 1.8, not a 1.4, sorry). I will test it at lower apertures...

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
    edited January 18, 2010
    Seymore wrote:
    Can you show us an example where the EXIF data is available?

I would, but I don't keep pictures that are crap or destined to be put in the recycle bin:D

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    I would, but I don't keep pictures that are crap or destined to be put in the recycle bin:D

True but how would you show examples of the noise that you are getting for any of us to see and examine?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited January 18, 2010
    Some LCD monitors, and their monitor drivers, can create a visual representation of a smooth image that looks "grainy". The first thing I suggest is to look at other smooth toned images to see if that is the situation. You might try using noise reduction software to help diagnose this particular problem.

The next thing to do is to print the image. If no grain shows in a print then it is not a problem for prints.

If you bring up the exposure or brightness of an underexposed image you will often expose noise in the darker tones.

As others have said, a lens in and of itself will not create grain or noise, but the use of the lens, particularly the lens aperture, may affect the exposure of the image, and that can affect the level of noise and apparent grain.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Some LCD monitors, and their monitor drivers, can create a visual representation of a smooth image that looks "grainy". The first thing I suggest is to look at other smooth toned images to see if that is the situation. You might try using noise reduction software to help diagnose this particular problem.

The next thing to do is to print the image. If no grain shows in a print then it is not a problem for prints.

If you bring up the exposure or brightness of an underexposed image you will often expose noise in the darker tones.

As others have said, a lens in and of itself will not create grain or noise, but the use of the lens, particularly the lens aperture, may affect the exposure of the image, and that can affect the level of noise and apparent grain.

I second the printing, preferably on a decent printer. I recently did my own ISO test here at home and found the prints at HIGH ISO to be very acceptable compared to what I saw on a monitor.
    tom wise
    edited January 18, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:

I will test these things out today, and will get back to you with the results. Thank you all for being so helpfulthumb.gif

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
    edited January 20, 2010
    The problem was the large f stop.

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited January 20, 2010
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    The problem was the large f stop.

Are you saying that you experience the phenomenon at f1.4?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 20, 2010
    Large F stops do not cause grain!

I shoot with an 85mm f1.2 and a 50mm f1.2 - neither causes grain. Gorgeous bokeh, but no grain.

Grain is caused by high ISO and under exposure. Unless it is added in post processing.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    Large F stops do not cause grain!

I shoot with an 85mm f1.2 and a 50mm f1.2 - neither causes grain. Gorgeous bokeh, but no grain.

Grain is caused by high ISO and under exposure. Unless it is added in post processing.

I agree with pathfinder. I have a 50 1.4G and shooting at 1.4 from ISO 200-800 I have zero grain (noise). You need to post some examples and exif data