Exif Data

1ibandit1ibandit Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited December 28, 2005 in Finishing School
This maybe the wrong place to ask this, but I didn't find a general discussion area.

I have been checking this site out for a few days, and have even posted a few comments. So now I guess it's time to stir the pot, and ask a question.

exif data
This data I do understand, but what good is it if the only photo I am seening is a photoshop "re-make". The importent exif data doesn't matter after it has been changed by PS. I see all the great pictures all of you have posted, and then wonder if you are really good behind the camera or just PS experts.

I know PS rather well and can do just about anything with it, but that is not photogrphy is about. I do understand the need to edit finished photos, but what does it help my picture taking abilities hearing "adjust the curves, or add more affects" ( Note: I did see some challenges are no P.S.)

When I joined this site I thought I would see things like, change your f-stops to 2.8, and change your shutter speed to X and that will make the DOV change to so and so. Now that type of info will help me take a better picture.

Now forgive me if I jumped the gun on this one, and didn't look back far enough to see this is what you have been doing. I did go back half a month or so, and didn't find any comments like that. Or maybe a section of the site I have not stumbled over.

Well NOW is my time to get whipped so go for it

OTW... this is still the best site I have found!
1iBandit

1iBandit
"Take what is given, and steal the rest."

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    1ibandit wrote:
    This maybe the wrong place to ask this, but I didn't find a general discussion area.

I have been checking this site out for a few days, and have even posted a few comments. So now I guess it's time to stir the pot, and ask a question.

exif data
    This data I do understand, but what good is it if the only photo I am seening is a photoshop "re-make". The importent exif data doesn't matter after it has been changed by PS. I see all the great pictures all of you have posted, and then wonder if you are really good behind the camera or just PS experts.

I know PS rather well and can do just about anything with it, but that is not photogrphy is about. I do understand the need to edit finished photos, but what does it help my picture taking abilities hearing "adjust the curves, or add more affects" ( Note: I did see some challenges are no P.S.)

When I joined this site I thought I would see things like, change your f-stops to 2.8, and change your shutter speed to X and that will make the DOV change to so and so. Now that type of info will help me take a better picture.

Now forgive me if I jumped the gun on this one, and didn't look back far enough to see this is what you have been doing. I did go back half a month or so, and didn't find any comments like that. Or maybe a section of the site I have not stumbled over.

Well NOW is my time to get whipped so go for it

OTW... this is still the best site I have found!
    1iBandit

wave.gif Hi 1Bandit,

Post-processing doesn't change the Exif - the conditions under which a shot was taken (aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation, metering mode, ISO, etc). But you are correct in one thing: post-processing can take an ordinary photo and make it much, much better.

(click on the pic to see the "before" shot)
    3845284-L.jpg

You'd be surprised that there are lots of outstanding photographs presented here on Dgrin that only get basic adjustments in post (curves, for contrast and color and exposure, maybe some sharpening). There are others that undergo extensive alterations. And there are some folks that do nothing, setting the parms in their camera to do all the contrast, color satuation, and sharpness. It's a choice.

I try to explain my steps in post, where it's relavent. I agree, that we can all learn more when folks do that deal.gif

Moved from Whipping Post to Photoshop Shenanigans.
  • 1ibandit1ibandit Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Andy:

That picture was the perfect exsample of what I was saying. You post the better picture, and give the exif data for the one not seen. I go out take the same picture, and mine looks like crap. How did this help me? It doesn't..

Now I did just get help or found the spot for help. I followed where my post went, and found it went to tech. From there it went to here.. I was surfing tech. and think that is the place to help me with some of my questions.

Once again... this is a great site you have going, and smugmug is looking nice also.

Thanks
    1iBandit
    1iBandit
    "Take what is given, and steal the rest."
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Please remember 1iBandit.....even Ansel Adams never sold a pic that was not darkroomed to death....filters, dodging etc etc....the same things most of us do in PS but no chemicals involved and I only mention this cause I used to try and emulate some of my photo hero's until I found that the data published for the photos caused me a great deal of financial pain.....it was the darkroom magick that made the photos really pop....

Photography has not been pure since the Daugerreotype basically...once a drkroom and filters came into the picture the pure photo was gone.....actually before cause i know view camera officandos that will dodge while taking a shot......experimentation has always been there......

I do commend anyone who wishes to try to go back into a pure form with their art...however it will be very hard to get picture perfect photos without 'shopping ....How long do you deveope your b/w..just as the instructions say on the chemical....what happens if I leave it a tad longer (changing tones and curves and contrast).....I am one that never printed a slide on reversal paper and a lot of times I developed my slides in C47 and alot of times I dropped off at the local 1 hour just to see them squirm when they thought they had screwed up a roll of fuji film....Loved to reload used canisters.....

Just tibits to think about....... ask about a particular photo ...what did you do from the exif data to print...unless you run into a real jerk, most will oblige your question with the correct answer for you to decide to shoot the Matterhorn in such a way to get the perfect pic first time........

Then again why do so many photo books tell you to bracket?

Happy shooting.
    Namaste.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website