Bay Photo Water Color Paper Report

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited May 8, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
A little while ago there were a few posts asking about the water color paper option, the cost, and quality.

I just received an 8 X 12 print done on Bay photo's water color paper.

I have my own 12 pigmented ink large format printer and do most of my own printing. I have been told by others my printing is excellent. I am particular.

To start with, the packaging is top of the line. The print was in a plastic bag. The print /bag was placed on a sheet of thin foam, the print / foam was then shrink wrapped to a sheet of cardboard. The foam kept the print from sliding around during the shipping process, and was right in the center of the cardboard sheet.

This was placed in a thick outer cardboard shipping box, approximately 13" X 16" X 1/2" thick.

This is the best packaging for photos I have seen.

Now the the hart of the report, print quality.

The print quality is excellent, color, detail, and tonal transitions are up to professional standards.

The paper is a nice thick textured photo rag paper. I compared it to the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 I use, and found the paper Bay used to be about the same thickness, maybe a little thicker, hard to tell. The paper does have more texture, and is a warmer tone than the Hahnemuhle.

In summary the print quality, and packaging is superb.

After reviewing my print I am absolutely confident that my customers ordering a fine art print with the water color paper option will be very happy with the results.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me.

Sam

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Sam, great write up and much appreciated! I added you here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=456689#post456689

bowdown.gif
  • jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Just thought of this when reading this review.

When we have Bay photo hand correct our prints do they replace the photo in Smugmug with the corrected one?

For example, I order a few sample prints and like them....

Say a customer places an order for those same prints....the prints could look completely different than the samples I had printed..Is this correct?

or does Bay Photo retain the images they correct?

Another scenario would be a customer orders a print...likes it...orders another one..but it looks better or worse than the first one ordered?

Please let us know the process...

Thanks,
    Chris
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    jh4wvu wrote:
    Just thought of this when reading this review.

When we have Bay photo hand correct our prints do they replace the photo in Smugmug with the corrected one?

No, it's not replaced on SmugMug.
    Bay is renowned for their consistency :)
  • SarahMBSarahMB Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    A little while ago there were a few posts asking about the water color paper option, the cost, and quality.

I just received an 8 X 12 print done on Bay photo's water color paper.

I have my own 12 pigmented ink large format printer and do most of my own printing. I have been told by others my printing is excellent. I am particular.

To start with, the packaging is top of the line. The print was in a plastic bag. The print /bag was placed on a sheet of thin foam, the print / foam was then shrink wrapped to a sheet of cardboard. The foam kept the print from sliding around during the shipping process, and was right in the center of the cardboard sheet.

This was placed in a thick outer cardboard shipping box, approximately 13" X 16" X 1/2" thick.

This is the best packaging for photos I have seen.

Now the the hart of the report, print quality.

The print quality is excellent, color, detail, and tonal transitions are up to professional standards.

The paper is a nice thick textured photo rag paper. I compared it to the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 I use, and found the paper Bay used to be about the same thickness, maybe a little thicker, hard to tell. The paper does have more texture, and is a warmer tone than the Hahnemuhle.

In summary the print quality, and packaging is superb.

After reviewing my print I am absolutely confident that my customers ordering a fine art print with the water color paper option will be very happy with the results.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me.

Sam

Thanks for the kind words, Sam!! I love our watercolor giclee prints, so I am glad you do too! This is a great detailed report!! Let me know if you have any questions about anything! Sarah @ Bay
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    SarahMB wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words, Sam!! I love our watercolor giclee prints, so I am glad you do too! This is a great detailed report!! Let me know if you have any questions about anything! Sarah @ Bay

I just tells it like it is! :D

Sam