Options

Any way to create multiple custom galleries?

afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
edited April 18, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I'm posting this here because it's not code-based. Just standard New SM customization.

Is it possible to create a theme or a layout for multiple galleries, but not all galleries?

While I don't want this to affect All Galleries, I am setting up my portfolio galleries in a very specific way (see this for an example: http://www.adamfarber.com/Portfolio/Music/Rodriguez-Newport-2012/)

Right now I am customizing each one individually as I create them, but it takes a huge amount of time. Is there a way to automate?

The basic steps I'm taking for each gallery are:

-Create gallery (and use Quick Settings - phew!)
-Make gallery custom
-Delete Breadcrumbs
-Add Title and adjust settings (text size, alignment, margins)
-Add Navigation to Galleries and adjust settings (select from, select, info style, info hover, pagination)

It takes a lot of time and I'm looking at doing this for many new galleries. In addition to the time, I'm worried that I will miss steps and won't keep it very consistent.

Thanks for any help!

Adam

Comments

• Options
    bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2014
    If you're making the Gallery Custom (i.e. you're not applying the Customization changes to "All Galleries"), then unfortunately, it's somewhat of a manual process to replicate the design on other Galleries.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2014
    bobbyhero wrote: »
    If you're making the Gallery Custom (i.e. you're not applying the Customization changes to "All Galleries"), then unfortunately, it's somewhat of a manual process to replicate the design on other Galleries.

Yeah. That's what I'm doing. Bummer.

Thanks for the speedy reply!
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2014
    I have not done this myself but you can go to a custom gallery and assign a new theme to it. Unfortunately if you have some features in the first theme that you do want to carry through, you'll have to re-do them (like a top-nav menu). Then customize the rest. Then if you create another gallery that is customized, you can assign the 2nd theme.

If you have multiple individual galleries with unique customization, it may not be worth the effort to create a 2nd or 3rd theme.

Since I haven't created a 2nd theme on my site, I might have left out important rules; hopefully someone will chime in with any.

I do have many customized pages and it is a pain to remember that if I modify anything site-wide, and need it to apply to all galleries, I have to go to each and edit. Lamah's program for backing up a site is excellent at helping navigate to all custom galleries quickly. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240752
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2014
    As Chancy said, you can have multiple themes. I use them to create various color schemes for different parts of my site. I keep all my custom CSS in the Theme Tab>Edit Theme>Advanced Tab>Custom CSS>Edit field. I basically copy this from theme to theme, changing the color codes as needed. This helps keep my site's overall uniformity while allowing new colors.

Here are the three schemes at this time.

My Original Theme.

My Wedding Theme.

My Blog Theme.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2014
    Interesting. I'm a little confused now, since Bobby implied this wasn't possible. Maybe a theme isn't what I'm looking to do? Does a Theme include added content blocks or is it just colors/fonts, etc.? The colors/fonts is consistent across my whole site, it's just this group of galleries I want to add and remove certain content blocks with specific settings. No additional CSS needed.
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2014
    Themes are only for color schemes, CSS effects, etc. You have to manually add content blocks to any pages, folders, or galleries that deviate from your site's overall layout.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2014
    Darter02 wrote: »
    Themes are only for color schemes, CSS effects, etc. You have to manually add content blocks to any pages, folders, or galleries that deviate from your site's overall layout.

OK. Thanks for the clarification. Manual it is!
  • Options
    gr8scottgr8scott Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 18, 2014
    Read this in another thread and thought it could possibly work for you.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240752

Lamah wrote: »
    I have created an extension for Google Chrome which allows you to back up your SmugMug site's customisations. Backed-up content includes the settings for the content blocks you've added to your pages (particularly the contents of Text, HTML and CSS content blocks), gallery descriptions, and theme CSS.

It's important to create a backup of your site, because it's easy to accidentally click the wrong button and trash a customisation or page that took a long time to build (I've done this a couple of times already!). It's also possible for some accident or crash at SmugMug to lose information, so it's nice to have a backup you control.

The tool doesn't have an automatic restore feature, so it can't recreate backed-up pages for you. The intention is that you would copy and paste information from the backup to recreate pages yourself.

You can find out more about this feature and install this extension from my website here:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Backup

This extension is open source under the MIT License, if you're a JavaScript developer you can read the sourcecode here:

https://github.com/Sherlock-Photography/smugmug-chrome-ext